Author Topic: TM overheating? - spurts out hot liquids when cooking  (Read 11622 times)

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
TM overheating? - spurts out hot liquids when cooking
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:05:16 am »
Hi I hope someone can help.  I think my TM is sick!!!  For a while now when I cook rice (just plain rice from the EDC) the water starts to bubble and spurt out the top, knocking around the MC and causing me much distress as I try to turn it off without getting spurted on.  At first I thought it was the rice - maybe a starchy batch or I didn't rinse it enough but i have made a lot more since then using different packets of rice and rinsing very well and it still does the same thing.  It also does it with other stuff, for example I am cooking the mushroom risotto from the EDC right now, same quantities etc etc and with approx. 6 min to go it started spurting out the top.
People this is freaking me out!  It's so dangerous as I imagine that 100 degree liquid on your hand or in your eye would not be pleasant.  My TM is only about 3 years old.  I am feeling too scared to cook things in it now.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I feel like the TM is heating hotter than it's 100 degrees like the thermostat is out of whack or something.  Oh and the risotto catches on the base too.
I have tried to contact my TM lady, waiting for her to get back to me but thought it worth asking here.  Also a friend of mine who bought a TM not long after me said hers is now doing the same thing.....

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: TM overheating? - spurts out hot liquids when cooking
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:36:40 am »
I have not had this problem with rice, but I believe I have read somewhere that if you turn the speed up a little this helps to prevent splattering.  With the risotto try putting the basket on the lid (with the MC off), this doesn't stop, but it helps to contain, the splatters.

I am sure you will get lots of other suggestions on here as well, don't despair, all will be well.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:49:58 am »
Sounds to me as if you might need a new lid seal.  Be careful not to overfill the bowl.  Make sure you observe the maximum line inside the bowl.  A bit of bubbling up is normal. 
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:59:33 am »
Cecilia, that sounds reasonable
Denise

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:04:53 am »
Thank you both for replying.  Cecilia how does the lid seal affect this?  I'm not sure I understand.  It's coming out through the hole where the mc sits...I will go scrutinise the seal anyway...back soon!

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:41:48 am »
It says in fast and easy that when cooking rice if it starts to boil over increase the speed slightly, this works for me!
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:11:37 am »
Can't see anything wrong with the seal although I'm not sure what I am looking for!  Thanks Tim for that tip, I don't have that cookbook. 

I heard from my demonstrator and she said it happens all the time with hers (she has 2) and she always puts the basket on top (for risotto etc).  She said she always has something steaming in the varoma when she cooks plain rice so not sure if it's happening then too.  She's offered to take a look at mine anyway.  Also said try a bit less water...

I will try the suggestions and see how I go - will report back!

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 10:38:39 am »
I am assuming that you are cooking the rice in the basket.... if so dont over fill the jug with water. It should just touch the bottom of the basket, then run the blades for a few seconds before starting to cook as this rinses the rice. Set to cook and if the water bubbles up turn the speed up a little until it just stays within the jug, perfect rice every time.  It also says in fast and easy  that the MC should be put at an angle open end up, no idea why this is needed but thats what it says.  Good luck.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:00:55 am »
I use 380g of Arborio rice when making risotto and it very rarely spits or causes the MC to flip over.  Leaking hot liquid in my experience is a sign that the seal may need to be released.  Perhaps I misinterpreted your original scenario but if you've had your TMX three years and used it regularly I would check with your consultant about replacing the lid seal as a matter of course anyway.  Do go back and read your TMX manual about this issue.  It is very often helpful in situations where troubleshooting is required. 
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 11:08:10 am »
When I cook rice mine sometimes does this. I think I sometimes put a little too much water in. I just take the MC off and pop the basket on. Or alternatively drop the temperature down for a bit, then put it back up. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:45:34 am »
I use 380g of Arborio rice when making risotto and it very rarely spits or causes the MC to flip over.  Leaking hot liquid in my experience is a sign that the seal may need to be released.  Perhaps I misinterpreted your original scenario but if you've had your TMX three years and used it regularly I would check with your consultant about replacing the lid seal as a matter of course anyway.  Do go back and read your TMX manual about this issue.  It is very often helpful in situations where troubleshooting is required. 
In the book which comes with the TM in the UK basmati rice is quoted at 400gm plus 500ml water, only spurts out if the speed is set a little too low.  It is worth looking in the book to see what it suggests. After a while veteran user forgets to look.

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:15:05 am »
Thanks everyone, I haven't made rice or risotto again yet (not on the menu plan) but I will try those few things out.  I did notice on two batches of custard that the bottom sort of burnt/caught, does that happen to everyone else too?

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:15:51 am »
that's cos the speed is too low!

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:42 am »
Tim - that's interesting that the UK book says only 500ml/g of water as the aussie EDC says for cooking rice (basmati or jasmine) use 400g rice (can reduce qty to suit) and 900g water, 13-16min varoma speed 4.  That's seems a big variation in water doesn't it.  My EDC is July 2010 version, I wonder if anyone has a newer one that they could tell us if the instructions differ?  What speed does it say in that book Tim?

I did cook plain rice tonight; approx. 320g with 890g water for 13 min.  With 4.5 min left on the clock it started it's spurting out the mc hole so I tried upping the speed a little which seemed a bit out of control and didn't seem to stop the spurting.  I turned it off for a minute to get my bearings then angled the mc and continued cooking at sp4 and a half.  It didn't bubble out the top - it stayed just under the mc and the rice was cooked fine.

Another question for Tim - what are the cooking instructions in your EDC for custard?  Mine is 7 min at 90 degrees on sp4.

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 11:30:38 am »
Ok just found a discrepancy between the EDC and the Instruction Manual.

As stated above my EDC says for rice; 13-16 min Varoma and speed 4.

In the manual there is a point which says "Use only low speed levels ( ^^ - 2) when selecting VAROMA temperature.  Higher speed levels can lead to splashing of hot food or frothing up of liquid."

Frothing is exactly what is happening to me...so maybe next time when cooking plain rice i will try a lower speed???  Interesting huh?