Author Topic: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!  (Read 162444 times)

Offline kniki

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2009, 11:13:53 am »
Recipe:   Sticky Date Pudding
Cookbook: Everyday Cookbook p157
Review:   I made this as per the recipe, except I used gluten free flour (homemade: 2 parts rice flour, 1 part besan flour, 1 part tapioca flour) and baking powder.  I served it with the caramel sauce and icecream.  It was absolutely fantastic.  I am eating the leftovers tonight and it is still just as good.
Score:  5/5

I live in beautiful Brisbane (bayside)
gluten free is for me

Offline kniki

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2009, 11:20:12 am »
Recipe:    Tomato & Lentil Dahl
Cookbook: Everyday Cookbook p79
Tweaks: I didn't add the coriander or the lime juice as I didn't have any.
Review:   Apart from the slight tweaking I made it as per the recipe, and cooked it for 5 minutes longer.  My husband (NOT normally a dahl-lover) came back for seconds - he added salt but I thought it was delicious as it was.  I served it with thick creamy yoghurt and rice. 
Score:  5/5
gluten free is for me

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2009, 11:21:14 am »
we had something very similar tonight too! but i just chucked a heap of stuff in and cooked it lol mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2009, 03:46:46 pm »
Creamy Tomato & Salami Fettuccine, everyday cookbook page 89.

This is so easy to make.  I substitute 100% of the salami for the same weight in chopped mushrooms (we don't eat salami).  I find that it thickens, the pasta softens to the perfect texture for us, when in the thermoserver for about 5 mins.

We give it 5/5

Mushroom Risotto
, everyday cookbook page 85

It's fine with no parsley and no parmesan and no butter - just as it is!

I use 1100g of water instead of 1000g.  After doing onion and garlic saute, I add all ingredients (incl mushrooms) and cook for 16 mins.  Works fine.

I have used plain medium grain white rice and it's fine.

Another 5/5

Brown Rice Salad, everyday cookbook page 43

This is great.  I did more vegies than suggested, didn't add any tuna/chickpeas/beans) and reduced lemon juice to half a lemon.  I also cooked for 2 mins longer on Varoma temp as the brown rice was still a bit firm for our taste.  Served hot as is, with other dishes, for evening meal.

Score 4/5

Chinese-style Stir Fry Vegetables, everyday cookbook p92

This is so, so fast!  I put my rice cooker on (generally feeding 10 so still use the old rice cooker!) and it takes 25 mins to cook heaps of rice.  While that's happening I cut up the veg and follow this recipe, adding more veg though.  By the time the rice is done, the stir-fry veg are ready to go.  Dinner in under 1/2 hour and I don't have to 'stir' the stir-fry!

This one is 5/5

Chilli Con Carne, everyday cookbook p102

We adapt this to vegetarian, as per suggestion.  But the instructions are then a little confusing as there's no meat and the beans are tinned so pre-cooked.  So the cooking time is way less and there's heaps less steps.  I puree some beans, and add the others to stay whole.  Served with nachos and salad and avocado this is a winner with the kids!

Another 5/5

Bechamel Sauce, everyday cookbook p58

I make this as per recipe, doubled (so add 20% to the time) and it's perfect for our tastes.

Yep, 5/5

Fast Curry, everyday cookbook p96

Vegetarian adaption again - cooks quicker - did the potato for 10 mins, then the veg for only another 8 mins or so.

The good thing about this is that it's fast.  It tasted fine, but I think I'd prefer a more chunky curry - the veg chopped too fine (NB: MY error).  I'm used to a slow-cooked curry, so this was different.

Doing it my way - 3/5 overall but 5/5 for flavour

Boiled eggs - 8 eggs - perfect! 5/5

Pumpkin Soup, everyday cookbook p70

I find this is a bit thin for us, so need to adapt it some more.  It's tasty though (I don't put the sugar in).  I have added curry powder and other herbs and spices.  I have also used the recipe to make a choko soup, with more spices since choko is bland.  It's a good basic recipe to get times and amounts for a simple lunchtime soup.

5/5

Grating cheese - blocks of parmesan or tasty cheddar 5/5

Coleslaw, everyday cookbook p39

Still using store-bought mayo and add a little more.  Red apple works fine too.  I have made this 3 times and it's perfect! 5/5

Porridge, everyday cookbook p36

I double this recipe (6 kids!) and use all milk.  I only prcoess the oats for 2-3 seconds as we don't like it too fine.  I add 20% to the time as I double the ingredients.  I find that it's a little thin, but nice.  We add honey to serve.

Compared to 'normal' porridge 4/5

Phew, I think that's enough feedback for now.

Oh, I have found the meals a little salty.  I wonder if my stock concentrate (from everyday cookbook) is too salty.  When I make my 2nd batch, I'll decide.  We don't normally add salt, but used Massel Chicken-Style and Vegetable stock powders for years...  So I add about half the stock concentrate for now, till I make a new batch to the recipe and decide...

Oh, made the minestrone - texture poor and amounts wrong.  Taste good though!

I do find myself adding a crunch of pepper or pinch of herbs here and there, to the recipes... :)

Should I be emailing all this to someone?  Tenina?  I'm very new at this, only had my TM for about 3 weeks.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:19:04 am by mama_bel »
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2009, 10:57:48 pm »
Hi Mama Bel

Great work! I also have had great success with the recipes in my everyday cookbook - the hardest part is finding them!  I've been surprised at the amount of criticism the book has received. Obviously we all have different tastes and will give them our individual touches but I think that the majority make an excellent starting place.

I made a list in Word a few weeks ago of all that I'd tried - I must post it some time...
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline kniki

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2009, 02:26:03 am »
Bel, the minestrone recipe is wrong.  I have posted the corrected version here: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1027.0
gluten free is for me

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2009, 04:39:35 am »
Thanks Bel - great work.  Tenina has hopefully seen it, but it would be good to send this with all the positives to her at recipes@thermomix.com.au
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2009, 05:22:31 am »
Hi!

I fwd'ed to Tenina. :)

I remembered more I've tried last night so will pop back with more comments soon. :)

Bel
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2009, 10:06:29 am »
If the Everyday cookbook has many recipes that need tweaking, and somebody is listening and modifying the recipes for us - how do we, who have just bought our TMX and the cookbook, see what the changes are so we don't have to stuff up too   ???   I have been through this thread (fabulous - thank you  :-*) but am wondering if there is another medium for people to send in changes that we may not see on this forum?

Bacially - I don't want to miss out, nor have too mnay stuff ups   ;D

Also - if we come up with our own recipe, do we just post it here or do we send it somewhere else?

Ta
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:45 am »
today i made 2 cakes from the gluten free cookbook - one was a berry cake and the other was the coconut cake on the next page. we weren't all that excited about either and in fact i'm giving the coconut cake away (hopefully mum will like it better than we did).
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2009, 01:30:31 pm »
If the Everyday cookbook has many recipes that need tweaking, and somebody is listening and modifying the recipes for us - how do we, who have just bought our TMX and the cookbook, see what the changes are so we don't have to stuff up too   ???   I have been through this thread (fabulous - thank you  :-*) but am wondering if there is another medium for people to send in changes that we may not see on this forum?

Bacially - I don't want to miss out, nor have too mnay stuff ups   ;D

Also - if we come up with our own recipe, do we just post it here or do we send it somewhere else?

Ta

This post from Tenina gives some answers: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=734.msg8037#msg8037

Tenina is listening and updating the Everyday cookbook.  Best to send suggestions to tenina@thermomix.com.au or recipes@thermomix.com.au.

Also, post recipes here and send copies to recipes@thermomix.com.au, Tenina is always compiling books.

Good luck and thanks.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2009, 12:59:33 pm »
i wnated to come back and update that the gluten free berry cake is sooooo much nicer the day after you make it! plus it's also dairy free for anyone who needs that (but it's not nut free)
My Cooking Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2009, 02:47:15 pm »
Thanks for the update Karen. Might have to try that one too :-)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2009, 11:08:40 pm »
can't say it's great, it's not a 5/5 but maybe a 3/5 instead of the 2 i would have given it the day before lol
My Cooking Blog

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2009, 04:32:55 pm »
Recipe Chicken, Leek and Corn Pie

Cookbook Budget Busters Booklet pg 6

Review Very yummy flavour & plenty of it.  DH went back for thirds!  If you prefer your leeks softer you might have to cook filling a bit longer.  Less budget version would be to use 1 large leek & more chicken - depends on the balance you prefer.