Author Topic: Help needed - Ayurveda Ayurvedic principles of cooking  (Read 5961 times)

Offline teagg

• View Profile
Help needed - Ayurveda Ayurvedic principles of cooking
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:28:51 am »
Dear all
I'm a newbie consultant trying to get the right info to be able to respond to questions from my customers (friends actually at the moment!!)

I've had a question about whether the TMX can be used with Ayurvedic principles of cooking... And if so how...

I have to admit I'm not up to speed on Ayurvedic principles - but as I understand what was explained to me... It is basically the concept of cooking in a state of mindfulness, with love and focus, and being involved in the process... Along the lines of being able to take the pan, fry the spices, watch them as they fry and then at just the right point, add the items that one has lovingly and appropriately prepared earlier.

This doesn't strike me as being at all out of step with the Thermomix - but I would love views, comments, and suggestions from others as I'm not sure if I'm commenting it in the right way when I talk to this friend...

Do you cook along Ayurvedic principles?
Has having a Thermomix helped you? And if so how... What benefits has it given you?
Do you have a better/ different relationship with your food and food preparation now?
Do you have any resources or advice you could direct me to?

With huge thanks for your help
Regards

Gillian in Sydney

And PS if you'd like to try out an English-accented demo or sale... Please let me know!! ;-)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Help needed - Ayurveda Ayurvedic principles of cooking
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:36:20 am »
i have never heard of Ayurvedic cooking.

i will need to google this one  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02:22 am »
I had to google too.  Interesting topic.

I see that food must not be tasted before offering first to God, that works well in TMX.  Also food should be prepared using natural & fresh produce, another tick. And prepare with love and clean area free from clutter.  Certainly when food is cooking in TMX without attending to it you can focus on making a clean kitchen, beautiful table, spend time with ones you love.  I think there is a lot of food being prepared with love and happiness, rather than obligation, from forum members.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:22:40 am »
While I don't know anything about Ayurveda cooking I think most people who are using the TMX are mindful - of time, freshness of ingredients, lack of additives, quality of the meals, sharing of information (as in this forum), of friends (this forum again) and in reducing waste (using fresh ingredients vs packaged). I know a lot more love goes into my cooking now as I don't have to hurry just to get something on the table and take more time and care as the TMX takes care of the rest. Most of the recipes on this forum have been checked, reviewed and tweaked so not tasting before offering to God is not much of a stretch of the imagination at all.

While the TMX does do a lot of the work for you, you are still involved in the process as you can prepare lots more from scratch (mill flour, gind spices, etc) and therefore involve yourself more in the whole cooking and preparation process rather than just purchase ingredients that have been processed for you.

As for watching it all happen I believe JD uses a torch to look through the MC to view the cooking process. Auyrveda cooking uses herbs and spices to enhance flavour in food and I can't think of another machine that works with herbs and spices as well as the TMX. It also talks about eating both in our own home and in others and I know I am much more willing to cook and take food to another's now that I have the TMX. Additionally if one wanted to become more involved then you could eliminate some of the steps and do these by hand (beating eggs, etc).

Hope this helps.

Offline julia.alice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:24:28 pm »
I'm an Ayurvedic practitioner, and I love my thermomix! However the main discrepancies are that ideally food would be cooked on real fire to increase it's agni or digestive power, not electricity. Also Food is given prana or life force whenit is stired beaten mashed etc by hand. The energy and love from the cook goes into the food giving it more vitality. Whilst this is a nice idea it's pretty unrealistic in this day and age for people to pound and grind their own spices and grains and cook on an open fire...

So don't worry! Enjoy your thermomix.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »
Thanks for raising this topic.  Although, unfortunately, I have nothing of substance to add to the conversation, I've certainly appreciated reading it. - and how good is it to have julia.alice's input!! :D

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:03 pm »
Ditto!!
G

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:18:19 am »
I needed help from Mr Google too.
Thanks for you input Julia.alice. I am very glad you are enjoying the thermomix.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 05:24:12 am »
you learn something every day. Thanks. ;)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url