Author Topic: NY Style Pizza dough- Cold proofed  (Read 5226 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
NY Style Pizza dough- Cold proofed
« on: February 02, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »
NY style pizza is characterised by a soft thin crust. The crust is soft enough that you have to fold a  slice in half and use both hands to eat it or the tip will droop and your toppings will slide off. New Yorkers are divided into two camps when it comes to eating pizza the two handers and the flippers. The flippers fold their slice in half then flip the point back onto itself so they can eat with one hand. I find this crust can come close but it is still not as soft.

NY Style Pizza Dough

Ingredients
385g water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon active dried yeast
600g strong bakers flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons EVOO

Method
Add water sugar and yeast to  *: Select 37 degrees speed 2 for 1-2 minutes. You just need to heat long enough for the 37 light to come on. I usually give it 2 minutes. Add the flour then the salt on top so the salt does not inhibit the yeast. Mix speed 6 for 10 seconds until combined. Add the EVOO and kneed 4 minutes  ::.

Once the kneading is finished remove the dough from *: and place into a large zip lock that you have drizzled with oil. Seal the bag and place in the fridge for 48 to 72 hours.

Remove dough from the fridge at least 1 hour before you want to use it. This recipe will make enough for two medium pizza bases

For best results hand shape the dough, do not use a rolling pin. I have included a link to a video showing hand shaping techniques here.

Hints/Tips
This is a slow rise dough and requires at least 48 hours to develop full flavour and structure. If you want to use it in less than 24 hours increase the yeast to 1 teaspoon. You can use a lidded bowl to proof the dough but ensure there is enough room for the dough to rise.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:06:56 pm by Delightful Den »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NY Style Pizza dough- Cold proofed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:46:45 pm »
Thanks for the recipe DD. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:24:23 am »
I like the sound of this DD. I usually use Jamberie's Fluffy Pizza dough but I will definitely give this one a go. I like the idea of folding the pizza and eating it that way. Also of making it 48 hours before its needed.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:38:54 am »
I don't mind how it is eaten and like the idea of being able to get the dough ready and have it in the fridge for when the GC come to stay.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:39:11 pm »
I like to use this dough when I plan in advance to make pizza but if I decide on the spur of the moment that I want to make pizza I use my old standby dough which only needs to rise about half to one hour depending on the temperature.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 03:48:39 pm »
Is strong bakers flour the same as bread flour? Thanks in advance for any advice/response.
From Perth WA

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 09:25:05 pm »
Is strong bakers flour the same as bread flour? Thanks in advance for any advice/response.
Yes MEP.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 09:38:14 pm »
Thanks CC
From Perth WA