Author Topic: Muesli Bars  (Read 43444 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Muesli Bars
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:43:45 pm »
Name of Recipe:Muesli Bars (adapted from Better Homes & Gardens magazine)
Ingredients:
40g dried apricots
40g dates
25g sunflower seeds
35g pumpkin seeds
25g pecans
25g almonds
65g desiccated coconut
35g wheatgerm
110g rolled oats
25g oat bran
15g sesame seeds
40g craisins or sultanas
200g unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup rapadura sugar

Preparation:
Place apricots, dates, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in  *:, speed 10 approx 5 seconds in bowl.
Add coconut, wheatgerm, rolled oats, oat bran, sesame seeds, craisins or sultanas in  *:, speed 1  :-: approx 5 seconds or until mixed.  Set aside.

Put butter, honey and sugar in  *:.  Cook at 80 deg, spd 1 about 6 minutes until mixture is caramelly.  Stir caramel into muesli mixture.

Press combined mixture into lined baking tray.  Lay a sheet of baking paper on top and press firmly with a flat tray to compress slice.  Allow to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container and eat within 7 days.

Tips/Hints:
The original recipe includes dried peaches, but I've never seen them and it's fine without.  You can add or omit whichever ingredients you like, but I try and keep approximate dry/wet/fruit etc ratios the same.  Eg exchange nut type with another nut etc.

You can chop the nuts etc as small or as big as you like.  My kids are still getting used to the texture, but I'll gradually make them more crunchy.

I make this recipe about once a fortnight and usually give away half each batch. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:31:38 am by cathybenson79 »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Low GI Muesli Bars
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 12:50:47 pm »
Good work - we can get dried peaches, but I think that it may well be better without them - they tend to be drier (maybe older)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:29:23 pm »
Made this again tonight and I've simplified the recipe a bit as it looks pretty daunting.  But it's very easy, honestly.  Just lots of ingredients.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

vivacity

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 08:55:41 pm »
Hi, Cathy!

This recipe sounds great :D I ordered a cereal flaker today which should be arriving tomorrow and now I'm collecting recipes where I can use rolled oats, etc. I'm going to try these out, although I have never seen dried peaches here either, but there's plenty of choice of dried fruit at the moment with Christmas coming closer.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:30:30 am »
Looking forward to your review!  Also, yesterdays batch was made with rapadurra sugar.  It's very nice.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:03:08 am »
..... I ordered a cereal flaker today which should be arriving tomorrow and now I'm collecting recipes where I can use rolled oats, etc. ..

Does it steam and flake them ???
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:59:46 pm »
Thank you Cathy .

@ Vivacity: cool.....Happy flaking  ;)

Does it steam and flake them ???

Why to use a grain flaker?
I'm very happy with this one
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

vivacity

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 03:29:09 pm »
Your flaker looks amazing, Elli! I just bought a simple one to start me off, the Komo Flocino but I love it already. You just pour the cereal in (I use hull-less oats because they don't need soaking beforehand) and out come oat flakes. Mix with pureed, fresh fruit, a few chopped nuts and it's an instant breakfast. I don't even need to open my eyes in the morning ;) Funny thing is, since eating this twice I day I have absolutely no desire to eat anything sweet or drink any soft drinks. So that's a good side effect of eating this muesli.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 09:58:33 pm »
That sounds really interesting Vivacity and Elli, and quite economical.  So you're turning whole oats into rolled oats?  And sounds like you can make your own flour which is fresher and healthier, having not sat in the shops like a broken egg?

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 11:33:31 pm »
How exciting!! I thought I would not be wanting a single other gadget after the TMX but seems like this is a 'must have' item!! Can you believe - not one single one on ebay!!  :o

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 03:51:40 am »
Nay-Nay, checking ebay is a great way of separating the "must haves" from the "isn't used". 

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:26:39 am »
Gotcha!!  ;) :D ;D That's clever ... up there for thinking 99!!

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:50 am »
So if a recipe calls for oat flakes can I still use rolled oats? lol  I like the look the link but after my recent investment in Tempest I don't think DH would appreciate my spending another few hundred on something I'm not even sure how to work!

Sooooooooooooo while I'm getting a handle on everything else can I still use rolled oats?????? please?? lol

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 12:04:44 pm »
I'm sure you can Snoozie - this recipe calls for 'rolled oats' you don't have to roll them yourself. The ones you have will be perfect - if another recipe calls for flakes, you can buy them too. ;)

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 12:17:10 pm »
I was looking at making the overnight granola (http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1912.0).  Not that I can make it with a broken oven but anyhoo (cry) lol