Author Topic: Good recipe for mini quiches that children would like?  (Read 13460 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Good recipe for mini quiches that children would like?
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:45 pm »
Hi everyone :D

My work is holding a Teddy Bear's Picnic this Friday, and I have volunteered to make mini quiches.

The funny thing is, I have only made mini quiches once before, and that was a couple of years ago. So you can imagine the experience is not fresh in my mind...

Why did I volunteer to do mini quiches? I have no idea :-))

But since I have, I am looking for a quick and easy recipe that the children will enjoy. I think the children are all quite young, maybe between 2-6 years old. Since I don't have kiddies of my own, I am a bit clueless about how to appeal to their eyes and tastebuds. Any advice or recipe suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Amy :-)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Good recipe for mini quiches that children would like?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:33:22 pm »
Lol Amy, I think you put your hand up too quickly :D
The only thing I can suggest is keep it simple, just basic ingredients as little kids don't often like anything to fancy. I don't have much experience making quiches as my lot are not to keen on them.
Good luck :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »
Yeah, I think I did too Mandi :-))
A lot of people have volunteered to do sweet things (fairy bread, cupcakes, biscuits, etc) so I thought I should try and get something savoury on the menu that I might be able to hide a bit of nutrition in ;)
Thanks, I think I will need some luck for this one! :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:44:41 pm »
Have a look at this recipe Amy for guidance only.  Replace anything that is not kid friendly but just use the quantities of the eggs/cream/cheese (use cheddar not feta) and the method.
I'd use onions or spring onions and bacon or ham - fry them off in a pan and place them in the cases.  Top with cheese then pour over the egg/cream mixture. These plain quiches have always gone down well with children in my experience.  You might be surprised though that many children today will eat more adult tasting foods, especially finger food varieties.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »
I've made mini, pastry-less, quiches before and have done exactly what Judy suggests...fry some bacon, shallots/red onions and capsicums (all finely diced), put them into mini muffin pans, grated cheese and then milk/cream mixture on top then bake them in a 180 degrees oven for about 15 minutes. Sometimes I also put little cubes of fetta cheese in too.

Hope that's useful and good luck Amy. :)
From Perth WA

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:40:45 pm »
Amy,
We roll slices of white bread thinly with a rolling pin and then cut to fit a greased cup cake tin. Add finely diced ham and other goodies a little cheese and then your egg and cheese mix. The kids in our family always enjoy them and no pastry.
Goodluck
Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:46:06 pm »
Thanks Judy, MEP and Bedlam :) You've given me some great suggestions, and they're all quick, easy and healthy :D
Do any of you think it would be too ambitious of me to try and hide some finely grated carrot or zucchini in the mini quiches? If there was cheese and bacon to hide the flavour, maybe the kids won't notice?

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:51:27 pm »
Cant see why not, they dont have long in the oven though so would have to be fine. Maybe make some mini sausage rolls as well can hide heaps of veges in there.
Denise

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 07:34:58 pm »
Lol Amy, I think you put your hand up too quickly :D

over the years i have learnt to keep my hands in my pockets. ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »
Amy, I wouldn't worry with trying to hide veggies in them it's for a party and with all the other sweet food the minimal amount of veggies wouldn't make a difference. For ease and for a better chance of them being eaten I would stick with bacon and cheese. I make them a lot at home and kids and adults alike love them. I've got some muffin type pans which have a flatter hole (if that makes sense), I cut round disks of puff pastry push them into the holes put a little fried bacon in each, top with some grated cheese the about 2tbls of the egg mixture and cook. For the egg mixture I use a mixture of 1/3 cup cream to each egg with a little salt and pepper. I find I can make a large quantity in no time. Good luck.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:11 pm »
This is the tray I use

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:06:19 pm »
i have one of those trays wonder, i remember  when u could buy arnotts brandy snaps at the supermakets i would bake them until soft when cool fill them with whipped cream and a strawberry on top

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 12:01:40 am »
I made about 50 yesterday. Most kids love bacon. I used eggs, milk a little cream, onion, cheese & bacon. Simple but tasty.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 12:03:09 am »
for the freezer Hally ?  ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 12:10:52 am »
Actually surprise no, LOL, I only have 10 left, have 4 kids for a playover today.

Batch went to school,for the teachers, next door for the olds, & another batch to the builders on or other side as I wanted to tell them not to leave building materials around.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......