Author Topic: Kirby Vacuums... anyone got one?  (Read 7530 times)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Kirby Vacuums... anyone got one?
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:25:52 am »
Hello, so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but does anyone own a Kirby Vacuum and what do they think of it? We saw a demonstration about 18mth (or so) ago, were impressed but as we have a ducted system (which I LOVE) we didn't really think anymore of it - until now, and our vac head has broken. So just wanting people's opinions (positive and negative) on the Kirby Vacuum.
Thanx in advance.  :)
:D

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Kirby Vacuums... anyone got one?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:31:40 am »
I don't have one but have heard they are great. I have a Dyson which I love. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:45:30 am »
I have/had one (well still have it but don't use it :-))) Does a brilliant job, ours has all the bells and whistles (as that is how DH rolls) but I find it is just too heavy to lug around.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:58:14 am »
Don't have one sorry
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:08:08 pm »
Had an awful experience with one of their salesmen years ago, a young uni student who kept telling me how much money he made out of selling them and he was off to the Gold Coast on holidays. When we didn't buy off him, his supervisor turned up and harrassed us as well. They look like a good vacuum cleaner, but I wouldn't buy on principle after that!

I now have a Dyson and am very happy with it.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »
I now have a Wertheim (don't ever buy on of them either lol) with a canister on the side of the vac hose to save bags and I think that gets just as much out as the kirby. I am always astounded at what comes up. My next one will be a dyson after my research  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:17 pm »
When I used to clean DD2's house, she had one of those upstairs and a Dyson downstairs.  Me and the Dyson got along just fine but not so with the Kirby - I also found the Kirby too heavy to push around but thought that was just me not pushing the right buttons. I can never work out these fandangled appliances  :P  I now have her Dyson as she has bought something else.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »
We've had an upright Dyson for years.  I can still vivdly remember the first time I used it - I thought my carpets were pretty clean, but the amount of stuff that the Dyson sucked up off them amazed me.  It is very good and still going - probably about 10 years old now.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »
Has anyone heard anything about the new shark vacuum that is advertised on tv?
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:50:24 pm »
Oh yeah same here, I couldn't believe where all the dirt and fluff come from. Also when we first moved to the house we live in now (which looked clean) it took me a few vacuums before I got the carpets nice and clean (obviously the old owners didn't own a Dyson )
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 02:52:43 pm »
Hi astarra.  Yes I have a fairly new Kirby.  Have to say it's a very powerful vacuum cleaner and fairly heavy, although mine is self propelled so on a large area it's terrific.  The only thing I found annoying is that if you want to vacuum the edges right up to the skirting board, you need to add the hose, which entails getting it out of the cupboard, attaching it, then dragging the machine along as you vacuum.  When finished, remove the hose, put it away and continue with normal vacuuming.

I suppose if you were really organised, you'd do the edges in all the rooms at once, and then do your normal vacuuming, but I was never that organised  :-\  Our last house was very large, with big carpeted areas, and the Kirby really did a fantastic job.

We have recently downsized, and bought a smaller home with a lot of tiled areas.  I now find the Kirby more fiddly than useful, so have bought a Dyson upright with built-in hose, and find it much more convenient.  It's much lighter to use, and as I have health issues and can only vacuum for about 15 minutes at a time, I find the Dyson much more suitable.

My advice - if you're in good health and have large carpeted areas, and especially if you have very thick carpet, then go for the Kirby.  They are a quality machine and will last you for a very long time.  I bought my disposable bags online from ebay, and they work out quite cheap if you purchase 50 at a time as I did.

On the other hand, the Dyson is a great machine and more suitable if you've have smaller rooms and lots of tiles too.

Then of course, there's price to consider.  Dyson is around $800 top of the line if I remember correctly, and the Kirby with all accessories is something like $4000.
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 03:34:00 pm »
Hi astarra.  Yes I have a fairly new Kirby.  Have to say it's a very powerful vacuum cleaner and fairly heavy, although mine is self propelled so on a large area it's terrific.  The only thing I found annoying is that if you want to vacuum the edges right up to the skirting board, you need to add the hose, which entails getting it out of the cupboard, attaching it, then dragging the machine along as you vacuum.  When finished, remove the hose, put it away and continue with normal vacuuming.

You are right on the money Merrilyn ... it is a while since I used mine but this is exactly what used to peeve me with the kirby. Mine is self propelled too ... I really must drag it out of the shed and sell it back to Kirby  :-)) :-))

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:36:42 pm »
I would love a Dyson and a robo vacuum. They robo can do a quick clean during the week then out comes Mr Dyson on Saturday when Ido my big clean.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:09:04 am »
I have a Dyson vacum cleaner.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 02:17:31 am »
I don't have a Kirby but a few months ago I bought a device that sits on the wand of the vacuum and saves on bags.
You still need a bag in the vacuum but they last much longer.