Author Topic: What are your must plant fruit trees?  (Read 11185 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: What are your must plant fruit trees?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 08:06:51 am »
new peach but has curly leaf might have to go

You can treat curly leaf Brenda. It needs to be sprayed before the leaves emerge in spring.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 08:19:00 am »
Den I have tried to bet the curly leaf on other trees that have gone to god, I have never found a good cure, do you have a recommendation, I think I used a copper based spray.

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 08:34:52 am »
I was told you paint the trees in mid winter(when it's in hibernation) with a sulphate compound that's blue. Can't remember which but Bunnings should have it.
If you're only putting in a couple of trees, I thik lemon & lime.. I have a Eureka lemon which is great but I love d the Meyer I had in my last place. Tahitian limes are great..hardy & tons of fruit.
I also have pear, peach, nectarine persimon & plum. Justput in an avocado & cherry, but have a constant battle with birds & wallabies. Managed to get some beautiful pears last year with protection bags from Green Harvest which I highly recommend! Unfortunatley the magpies figured out what was in the bags towards the end of the season but it was good for a while!
 8)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 09:39:39 am »
LOL Amy, was thinking of bottles and cans hanging from branches. Pigeons on steroids, everything is bigger in Victoria!!!!

Cookie we have one fruit salad tree with three different grafts on it mandarin, orange and lime. Doesn't take up much room and they come in stone fruit varieties too.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 10:50:03 am »
I would love an apricot and mulberry tree. I'm so sad that my next door neighbour cut down the nectarine tree that used to hang over our fence, as I used to get heaps of fruit off it. The only consolation is that the lemon and lime trees I planted when we first moved in have really taken off as they are no longer in competition with the nectarine tree.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 11:52:45 am »
Den I have tried to bet the curly leaf on other trees that have gone to god, I have never found a good cure, do you have a recommendation, I think I used a copper based spray.

The copper sulfate is all I've ever used Brenda. YOu do have to get the tree when it has budded but the leaves have not yet come out.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 11:56:33 am »
LOL Amy, was thinking of bottles and cans hanging from branches. Pigeons on steroids, everything is bigger in Victoria!!!!

So I've heard! ;D I think you must be trying to make up for being a little state ;)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 08:16:36 am »
I have lemon, cherry, plum, rosemary and blueberry. I want to get more blueberry bushes soon, then would LOVE a peach/nectarine tree (but not suer if they would grow well here in Tas or not. ??? )
:D

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 10:24:12 am »
Thanks Den, I'll try and catch it at the right time next year.