Author Topic: Vinegar  (Read 17843 times)

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
Vinegar
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:13:46 am »
I was reading somewhere on here a while ago about using vinegar, and when it was half empty you could fill it up again and within a few days it would all be vinegar again. Was I reading it right or not???? That would mean that every time the bottle got half empty you could just fill it up with water and in a few days it would be all vinegar!!!!!! No need to ever buy it again right!!! ??? :-[ :-\

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vinegar
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:20:57 am »
I buy cheap homebrand vinegar for the final rinse of my washing machine and tip half of the 1 litre bottle of vinegar into another bottle, top them both up with water and get 2 bottles for the price of 1.  However, we did have a discussion somewhere on the forum (it eludes me at present) and the whole issue became more scientific.  For washing clothes though, my hint works beautifully and saves me money in the laundry.  I wouldn't keep topping it up when it gets half empty though.  I start again with another lot.  Vinegar as a final rinse in the washing machine and dishwasher is supposed to keep everything gunk free according to an Enjo rep.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 03:01:15 pm »
Can't find it quickly, but yes, with some vinegars that you buy, there will be a "mother" plnat in the bottle that, if you ad wine or verjuice, (not just water), you are able to feed it and make more.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:01:41 am »
In the dishwasher liquid thread there are these comments:

From Judydawn via ILB:
And did you know Grin that you can double the amount of your vinegar for free!  I read it somewhere so tried it.  I only buy the generic brand 1 litre bottles of vinegar for the washing machine, tip half out into another bottle, fill both up with water, leave a few days and you will have pure vinegar again.  Don't know how this works but I do it - 2 litres for the price of 1.

ILB then said
How's this - today while I was out and about trying to get some last minute numbers for tomorrows class and picking up a few odd bits and pieces I stopped in at the Milawa Olive Shop (if you come to NE Vic please let me know and I'll point you towards some fantastic places) and in there they had VINEGAR CULTURE or "MOTHER" that you can re-use over and over again to make your own!  Add red wine and make red wine vinegar etc.... I was blown away, especially after our little chat about it.

Thermomixers comment was
Yes, best with wine vinegars to start,  add wine to the last bit (the manky, slimy bit in the bottom) - white wine from a cask is OK and the mother culture makes more -if you are not eating it then it will be fine.

and finally, my posting on the subject

"To make your own cider vinegar you just need a bottle of non-pasteurised vinegar without any preservative, it’s quite easy to come by these days. Check the labels on the bottle. Holland and Barret do a couple, and I think Aspels do one. Even Sarson’s do one. The big guarantee is when it says ‘May form a precipitate/sediment after storing’ then you KNOW it’s live. Then you just mix it one part vinegar to two parts 6% cider, if you can’t get 6% use what you can (but don’t use it for pickling unless the cider was 6% or more), again no preservative, but as long as the cider isn’t sulphury it will be fine. Shake the bottle and sniff to make sure. I don’t even check anymore but I use a good quality cider, again Aspell’s is good. There’s nothing quite like cider vinegar. I’m making Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar at the moment. Everyone is going on about how good it is so I thought I’d make some and see. One part vinegar one part 14% wine and one part chlorine free water. Put it in a jar and leave it to turn. Taste it every week until it’s as strong as the starter vinegar was. Summer’s the best time for making vinegar when it’s warm, use a dark cupboard"
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:43:48 am »
Ta Caroline - great work  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 04:23:51 pm »
eee, 'twere nowt, lad  ;)
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:00:38 am »
eee, 'twere nowt, lad  ;)
Took me a while to translate that.... :P

LOL   :D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:34:11 am »
 :D :D He he he - that were right good English, that were!  ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 01:16:46 pm »
Ay lassie - ye coowd be fr'm da west coun'rie I reck'n   ???
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 08:34:32 pm »
Another vinegar question.

Will the making half again work if it is distilled vinegar?

I could only get white vinegar that was distilled today.

Bought 5 litres in a plastic can.

Thanks
DJ

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:23:07 am »
It will be fine DJ if you are just using it for cleaning purposes.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:56:45 am »
I buy cheap homebrand vinegar for the final rinse of my washing machine and tip half of the 1 litre bottle of vinegar into another bottle, top them both up with water and get 2 bottles for the price of 1.  However, we did have a discussion somewhere on the forum (it eludes me at present) and the whole issue became more scientific.  For washing clothes though, my hint works beautifully and saves me money in the laundry.  I wouldn't keep topping it up when it gets half empty though.  I start again with another lot.  Vinegar as a final rinse in the washing machine and dishwasher is supposed to keep everything gunk free according to an Enjo rep.

Judy, how much do you actually put in the rinse?  I take it that you are using white vinegar and not brown.  Dumb question I know but I'll ask it anyway.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 07:18:56 am »
 I just fill the dispenser with generic white vinegar where you would normally put your fabric softener Margaret, probably 1/2 cup.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:39:49 pm by judydawn »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 08:18:03 am »
FABRIC SOFTENER

2 cups white vinegar

2 cups bicarbonate of soda

4 cups water

Slowly add vinegar to bicarb in a bowl over the kitchen sink (this mix will fizz and bubble), add water, and pour into a plastic bottle. Shake gently. Add ¼ cup of softener per wash. Shake well before each use.

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:56:00 am »
FABRIC SOFTENER

2 cups white vinegar

2 cups bicarbonate of soda

4 cups water

Slowly add vinegar to bicarb in a bowl over the kitchen sink (this mix will fizz and bubble), add water, and pour into a plastic bottle. Shake gently. Add ¼ cup of softener per wash. Shake well before each use.

Thanks CP  ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.