Author Topic: Help pls with UK 'birds eye' type custard....  (Read 17992 times)

Offline teagg

• View Profile
Help pls with UK 'birds eye' type custard....
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:56:02 am »
Dear all
If this isn't the right place for this- sorry!

My children like the Bird's Eye custard -made from the UK Bird's Eye custard powder that I can get here in Sydney and of course in the UK.  It's basically a cornflour-thickened milk based pudding with some annatto (?) coloring, vanilla flavouring and added sugar.

I have tried an online custard recipe (no eggs), to great disappointment... DH has suggested I wait until he needs to fill in cracks/holes in the house before I make it again! 

Does anyone have a substitute recipe or even ideas on whether/how I make the Bird's Eye custard in the TM (and yes I do realize the irony of this!!)?

Or perhaps an even Better request would be - does anyone have a plan to convert or wean Bird's Eye custard lovers over to 'proper' custard lovers?

Thanks!
Gillian

Ps I loved the lemon custard demo option - but don't have the recipe and know that I won't have success with a lemon tasting one at present.  Also I think my attempt was too vanilla-y and too solid.....

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Help pls with UK 'birds eye' type custard....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:57 am »
Have you tried the chocolate custard? It used real ground chocolate - if chocolate custard doesn't convert them I don't know what would.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 03:40:51 am »
hi teagg, don't have a recipe but this is in the wrong section it should be under "recipe requests"
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 05:49:40 am »
There is a recipe for custard in the UK Demonstrator Delights cookbook that actually says "makes a lovely thick custard (like Bird's!) but with no artificial ingredients".   I haven't actually tried it though.  I could PM you the recipe if you like?

My partner is English (been in Australia since he was 6 years old though) and was brought up on Bird's custard.  He makes all the Thermie custard in our house and uses the custard recipe in the EDC, but includes a small bar of white chocolate right at the start (blitzes it with the sugar).  He says it's better than Bird's!  It is very nice  :)

Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:34:55 am »
There is a recipe for custard in the UK Demonstrator Delights cookbook that actually says "makes a lovely thick custard (like Bird's!) but with no artificial ingredients".   I haven't actually tried it though.  I could PM you the recipe if you like?

My partner is English (been in Australia since he was 6 years old though) and was brought up on Bird's custard.  He makes all the Thermie custard in our house and uses the custard recipe in the EDC, but includes a small bar of white chocolate right at the start (blitzes it with the sugar).  He says it's better than Bird's!  It is very nice  :)

I use the recipe for custard from the Demonstrator Delights Cookbook and we like it,especially my SIL. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:08:04 pm »
Creampuff
Sorry! Thx for the clarification - how do I (should I ) move this?
Rgds
G

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 01:50:13 pm »
One of the moderators will do it for you Gillian - Cookie is on holidays at the moment though so it may take her a little while to notice it. MM are you there, Brazen perhaps, CarolineW??
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:29:03 am »
Hi Gillian,

I've just sent you a PM with recipe from the UK Demonstrator Delight cookbook as requested.  I hope it turns out well and your family are happy with it.

cheers, Katie :)
Katie from Adelaide, SA

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:23 pm »
Katie
Received and responded!!!
Thx
Gillian

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:35 pm »
Hi Katie, could you please PM me the message also? No matter how much I try I just can't get my kids to enjoy the egg custard - even the chocolate one! I would love to find a substitute without all the preservatives.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:02 am »
Hi Gillian - I hope the custard goes down a treat with the family and their converted from the packet stuff to real custard  :)

Hi Wonder - just sent the recipe as requested

cheers, Katie
Katie from Adelaide, SA

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 12:08:21 pm »
Got it, thanks Katie.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 01:04:34 pm »
Would someone mind sending me this recipe also and has anyone successfully converted kids with this recipe ?  Another 3 kids here who don't like the egg custard, and prefer the packet one which I just won't do anymore (I'm hoping they'll forget and then the EDC egg one will be such a luxury, they'll appreciate it lol). Many thanks in advance.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 02:21:56 pm »
Would someone mind sending me this recipe also and has anyone successfully converted kids with this recipe ?  Another 3 kids here who don't like the egg custard, and prefer the packet one which I just won't do anymore (I'm hoping they'll forget and then the EDC egg one will be such a luxury, they'll appreciate it lol). Many thanks in advance.
I've PM'ed it to you DB.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 02:36:02 pm »
Received it thank you CC, think I might need to get chickens to supply the eggs lol.