Author Topic: Indonesian meat sates  (Read 8500 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Indonesian meat sates
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:21:25 pm »
Name of Recipe:
Number of People:
Ingredients:

Preparation:

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

Meat sates

500g steak, 500mg lamb, 3 chicken breasts, 3 chicken thighs

Sate marinade (and you need 1 lot of this for each kind of meat, so these amounts are for 1 serve, if you want to do the whole lot triple the amount)

2 shallots
2 cloves garlic
1 small piece fresh ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or according to taste)
3 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Cut the meat into 2cm chunks
Chop shallots, ginger, garlic finely speed 7
Scrape down sides
Add remaining ingredients and blend on 9 for a few seconds
Marinate each kind of meat separately, and if you're using all of them chop the meat on separate boards
Marinate for a few hours

Peanut sauce

1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil
1 and 1/3 cup raw peanuts
2 cloves garlic
4 shallots
Small piece trasi (shrimp paste)
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp dark soy
2 cups water
1 tbsp lemon juice

Cook peanuts in oil for 4 minutes Varoma temperature speed 2-3
Drain carefully, reserving 1 tbsp oil, let the peanuts cool
Let TMX cool as well
Chop garlic and shallots on 7, scrape down
Add the 1 tbsp oil, cook on 100 C for 2 minutes
Add peanuts and pulse  *: until finely chopped.  If you end up with peanut butter it doesn't really matter, but try to avoid turning into peanut butter if possible, but it doesn't really matter.

Add remaining ingredients and cook on 100 C speed 2-3 with MC off for about 10 minutes, or until thick
Add lemon juice and extra salt if needed

Thoughts

Since the cry went out for meat recipes, I've been thinking of how to adapt some I like.  I went to Bali a few years ago to visit my brother, who was living in Java.  He introduced me to these Indonesian sates, which I think are a whole level above the Thai ones we're used to in Australia.  They were cooked and served on hot coals brought to the tables in little metal baskets with a grid on top.  I bought a book by Sri Owen about Indonesian food, and adapted this recipe for a mini Weber barbeque I own.  She points out that the West doesn't know much about Indonesian food, despite it being the 4th most populous country in the world and having huge regional variations.  There are virtually no Indonesian restaurants in Australia, although there is a very good Balinese one in Cairns right across from where I work.

Theses sates remain incredibly moist.  I don't know whether it is the marinade, but the chicken breast especially does not dry out as much as usually happens.  I think it's important to try to cook them over coals to get the right flavour, but you could easily use a gas barbecue or a stove top.  I try to use the thicker bamboo sate sticks, and here's a tip.  Soak them in water for a few hours before threading the meat on.  It makes the meat easier to slide off without stabbing your neighbour, and the ends of the sticks don't burn away entirely.

The sate sauce is so much better then anything out of a jar or tin.  It will keep for a couple of weeks under a layer of oil in the fridge.  You can use it as a dip for raw veges.  Trasi is that horribly stinky shrimp paste, you can buy it in powder form from Asian food shops now and that's much better than gagging as you scrape a slice off!  I think it's important to use it though.  I did have to wash the jug in the dishwasher after this.  I also have a recipe somewhere for a non-peanut sate sauce, as a friend of mine has a peanut allergy.  It's basically the same but with reduced coconut cream.  If anyone's interested I'll try and find it.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:23:02 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Indonesian meat sates
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:59:06 am »
Thanks Paul - hope you've sent this to Tenina?

Remember talking to a steward on Singapore Airlines about satay sticks once - he was from Indonesia (some part-can't recall) and he thought that porcupine meat made the best satays !!!!!!!  Don't think it would catch on in Oz.

Do you heat/roast your trasi?  That really does make the house (and neighbourhood) smell thoroughly Indonesian.  If others are looking then you may find it under blachan paste.  Stinks, but it is that little something in the sauce that really gives it the je ne sais quoi.

There is something missing at the end of this line..

Add peanuts and pulse  *: until finely chopped.  If you end up with peanut butter it doesn't really matter, but try to avoid

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:47:03 am »
Thanks Paul - hope you've sent this to Tenina?

Remember talking to a steward on Singapore Airlines about satay sticks once - he was from Indonesia (some part-can't recall) and he thought that porcupine meat made the best satays !!!!!!!  Don't think it would catch on in Oz.

Do you heat/roast your trasi?  That really does make the house (and neighbourhood) smell thoroughly Indonesian.  If others are looking then you may find it under blachan paste.  Stinks, but it is that little something in the sauce that really gives it the je ne sais quoi.

There is something missing at the end of this line..

Add peanuts and pulse  *: until finely chopped.  If you end up with peanut butter it doesn't really matter, but try to avoid

It should say "try to avoid turning into peanut butter if possible, but it doesn't really matter"

I haven't sent any of these meat recipes to Tenina.  Should I?  How do I do this?  I sort of assumed posting them here was enough.

I don't think we should take up roasting echidnas, being the nearest thing we have to a porcupine.

I have roasted it before, but it is pretty stinky.  The powdered version seems to be a good compromise
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:52:39 am by Thermomixer »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:53:41 am »
Paul, you are doing a good job adding meat recipes to the forum. Thanks for your efforts as we are sadly lacking in this category. Tenina also has said meat recipes are lagging behind too for her new book, plenty of chicken though.  I emailed her and asked her to check out one of my recipes from the forum which she did but guess she hasn't the time to go through them all.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 01:54:06 am »
paul you definitely need to send them to tenina!!! or at least email her with links to them on here

recipes@thermomix.com.au

go for it!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:29:29 am by brazen20au »
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 02:25:16 am »
Thanks Paul - I will check out the powder.  Mrs T gags when I open the triple sealed blachan paste - and I have to panfry/roast it when she is not around - with all the windows and doors open.

Yes, as others have said - please send any meat recipes to Tenina - you will get a free cookbook if she includes your recipe (and I'm sure she will)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 05:35:31 am »
I'm on here and poking around today, so will copy and paste these if its alright with you Paul.
Am about to try your terrine over the weekend all being good! So many recipes, so much other stuff and so little time!  :P

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 06:26:53 am »
I'm on here and poking around today, so will copy and paste these if its alright with you Paul.
Am about to try your terrine over the weekend all being good! So many recipes, so much other stuff and so little time!  :P

Thanks Tenina, I did put a few meaty suggestions in, are you happy to find them all?