Author Topic: Doreen's Mix and Melt Coconut Cake  (Read 6227 times)

Offline the annoyed thyroid

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
Doreen's Mix and Melt Coconut Cake
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:25 pm »
This is an old favourite recipe, but my new favourite thing to make in the thermie. It’s of the melt and mix variety so perfect for spontaneous baking moments, because you don’t have to wait for the butter to soften. This simple, scrumptious cake will keep  for several days – but you’re lucky if it lasts that long!It’s another great recipe from A Generous Helping  a fundraising recipe book full of recipes from, and to raise money for, the victims of the 2011 Queensland floods. It's one of my favourite cookbooks and my favourite conversions! More pics on the blog!

Ingredients

210g self-raising flour
115g raw sugar
60g desiccated coconut
125g butter, chopped
2 eggs
60g milk
1-2 teaspoons vanilla essence
Chocolate Icing
185g raw sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 dessertspoon butter
1-2 tablespoons hot milk

How to
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (160 C fan-forced.)  Grease a 20cm cake tin and line with baking paper.
2. Mill the raw sugar into caster sugar for 3 seconds  on speed 9. Set aside in a large bowl and mix with the flour and coconut.
3. Place the butter into TM bowl and melt for 2 minutes at 100C on speed 2.
4. Add eggs and milk and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the TM bowl and mix for 15 seconds  on speed 4. Scrape down the sides and check that mixture is well combined. If necessary, mix again for another 5-10 seconds on speed 4.
6. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

FOR THE CHOCOLATE ICING
1. Mill the raw sugar into icing sugar for 10-15 seconds  on speed 9.
2. Add the cocoa powder,  butter and 1 tablespoon milk.
3. Insert the butterfly into the TM bowl and mix for 15 seconds on speed 4. You may need to add another tablespoon milk (add it very gradually bit by bit) and mix again for another  15 seconds on speed 4 to achieve a spreading consistency.
4. Spread the chocolate icing over the cooled cake.

Converted from  A Generous Helping, Madonna King and Alison Alexander

members' comments

JuliaC83 - Thanks for a quick and simple cake recipe. I made double and got 2 log cakes (1 for the freezer).
Next time I'm going to try a slight variation - more coconut and coconut oil in place of the butter. Might be a bit more dense/moist ... maybe.

Aussie Brenda - I made this yesterday and delivered it to the GK's , I saved myself a slice. It was a little dry so next time I might add a bit or oil or some coconut milk.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:22:04 am by judydawn »
"Don't count the days, make the days count." Muhammad Ali

http://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Doreen's Mix and Melt Coconut Cake
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:49:45 pm »
Thanks TAT I have just turned the oven on to make this, I am calling in at DD and the GK will love this. I like the idea of the icing looking forward to making it in the Thermie .

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:56:30 pm »
Thanks TAT I have just turned the oven on to make this, I am calling in at DD and the GK will love this. I like the idea of the icing looking forward to making it in the Thermie .
Brenda, it's too easy and too yummy! I took it into work for a colleague's birthday last week, and it was demolished in minutes! Enjoy!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:38:23 pm »
I feel the need to make this just because of the name. My late godmother was called Doreen :)

Will let you know when I make it Sam, thanks for the recipe :)

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:21 pm »
I feel the need to make this just because of the name. My late godmother was called Doreen :)

Will let you know when I make it Sam, thanks for the recipe :)
Amy, that's what I love about that book. It's full of real recipes from real people. I don't know who Doreen is, but she sure makes great cake! I'm sure your godmother would have loved it too :) Enjoy!

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:31:08 pm »
Thanks for a quick and simple cake recipe :) I made double and got 2 log cakes (1 for the freezer).
Next time I'm going to try a slight variation - more coconut and coconut oil in place of the butter. Might be a bit more dense/moist ... maybe  :D
Kids and hubby are happy to have cake in their lunch boxes today!
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:19 am »
Thanks for a quick and simple cake recipe :) I made double and got 2 log cakes (1 for the freezer).
Next time I'm going to try a slight variation - more coconut and coconut oil in place of the butter. Might be a bit more dense/moist ... maybe  :D
Kids and hubby are happy to have cake in their lunch boxes today!

Wow Julia! They look great. I think they really suit loaf tins! The coconut flavour in this cake is pretty mild, the extra coconut and the coconut oil would work really well I think! Keep us posted!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:21:17 am »
Yum Julia, great job :)

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:21:08 am »
I made this yesterday and delivered it to the GK's , I saved myself a slice ;) . It was a little dry so next time I might add a bit or oil or some coconut milk.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 05:27:26 am »
Yummy, will make
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url