Author Topic: Review: Chocolate alternative. Vegetarian book  (Read 18553 times)

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
Review: Chocolate alternative. Vegetarian book
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:35:07 am »
Although as far as I can see a few people have mentioned this - nobody has reviewed it

Book Name: Janine Babauskis from the Thermomix. A Taste of Vegetarian. Balcatta: Thermomix in Australia, 2009, p. 106.
Tweaking details: nut substitution if desired.
Score: (out of 5/5)

This is absolutely delicious. I have made it twice now. I tried it with hazelnuts, but I prefer the cashews in the original recipe. I also tried it with macrobiotic seasalt from the Barrier reef but this was too sea salty and it worked better with Murray River salt. This has solved my Lindt chocolate deprivation problem. It fills the gap nicely with something really tasty and filling but not unhealthy!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Chocolate alternative. Vegetarian book
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:05:44 am »
I can't believe I have all these ingredients in my pantry and can actually make this.  I don't need it but if I can do it, why not   :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))  Can you then use it for any recipe that calls for chocolate or is it just for eating only.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:35:54 am »
It's not so much a true  chocolate substitute as something you can eat when you have an overwhelming craving for some Lindt chocolate!!  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:45:03 am »
OK, thanks.  It is on my ever growing list of things to do.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:26:10 pm »
Got straight into this one and licking the spoon thought it was going to be too rich for me until I tried a couple of pieces after it had set.  It is delicious - I was very surprised.  Now, can I offer this to diabetic friends as a healthy alternative to real chocolate?
I only had 210g dates instead of 250g but it didn't appear to make any difference at all. Thanks for the review Moonmobile, I never would have tried this without reading that.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 03:03:12 pm »
I have all these ingredients as well! I honestly didn't even see this recipe in the book! I guess because I wasn't looking at the dessert section at all! OK, going to try this one. Thanks MM!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:33:21 am »
Happy to spread the news on this really fab recipe :) :) It's all part of my quest to find recipes which fool my body into believing it is still getting its much craved after unhealthy nutirents but without the consequences!

The dates and honey have a lot of natural sugar in them so I'm not entirely sure if this recipe is suitable for diabetics (except perhaps in small quantities) as both dates and honey would, I would think, increase blood sugar levels. Perhaps there are other people on this forum who are more informed on these matters than I am.

But this recipe is totally suitable for people who can't digest refined sugar and for other people who are trying to be healthy. I've been very happy since discovering this recipe!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:04:46 am »
DH won't eat anything like this so it meant I was going to have to eat it all myself but I was lucky enough to have 2 visitors who both loved it and were very happy to each take a containerful of it home with them.  The sooner it is gone the sooner I can try something else  :D :D

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:49:27 am »
Do you think it would work in moulds?  Easter is on its way...
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:52:00 pm »
It is not a smooth chocolate Cathy, more like the texture of a coconut rough chocolate.  Would be fine for small moulds but I don't think it would work if you wanted to make hollow Easter eggs. 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:49:30 pm »
Thx for reminding me - will have to try it out on MrsT - the chocaholic.  This was one of the first recipes that I received after purchasing my machine.  Still haven't tried it coz I don't care much for chocolate anyway - BUT MrsT !!!!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 11:36:59 pm »
Judydawn, I must say I have no trouble at all eating this recipe all on my own. Although I will admit my first two batches have been shared around fairly liberally. I will be making another batch today which will probably be mainly eaten by me. I find it great to just have it sitting in the fridge for when I'm feeling like a quick snack - which is what I used to do with chocolate.

It's not really much like chocolate at all - but it is a great replacement for it if you can't have it. More like a kind of chocolate brownie I suppose.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 01:31:30 am »
It's a dairy-free alternative to chocolate too! I still haven't made it yet! I don't have raw coconut oil other than the one I use in my soaps and that's been deodorised and refined. So, I'm going to order some today.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:01:50 pm »
I made this and it is excellent. Whole family love it. Next time I will use a little less coconut oil though.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »
Hi zebraa, welcome to the forum.  How about introducing yourself in this section below and telling us a little about yourself, how you are enjoying your TMX, what you've been making etc etc.  Nice to have you on board.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?board=33.0