Author Topic: Going to Paris  (Read 79575 times)

mcmich

Re: Going to Paris
« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2014, 07:15:36 am »
Glad you had such a wonderful time MJ.  :D Must be so good to see your grandson after 4 weeks away.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 22, 2014, 08:30:55 am »
So pleased to hear you had a fabulous time and arrived home safe and sound MJ :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 22, 2014, 08:37:17 am »
MJ, sounds wonderful with lots of adventure.  Nice to have something even more wonderful to come home to.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 22, 2014, 08:55:54 am »
Welcome home MJ, holidays go so quickly.  Now to enjoy some time with your grandson  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 22, 2014, 11:28:31 am »
Welcome home & it does only seem like yesterday you left

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2014, 11:43:16 am »
Welcome home! Makes me really excited to get to Paris in July! Any Paris-specific recommendations other than don't leave my suitcase lying around in the airport? ;)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2014, 12:07:40 pm »
Welcome home MJ. That went quickly. Sounds like a wonderful adventure.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2014, 01:08:32 pm »
Welcome home Megan.  So glad you and your sisters had a wonderful time.  Bet the family were glad to have you back!!!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2014, 01:09:03 pm »
Haha! Laura, we were in St Germain which is a lovely area. Are you in an apartment?

Shopping is cheapest at Carrefour supermarkets. They have everything food wise, including wine at good prices. Wines are sold by region, not grape variety. The mid range ones are AOP Luberon, Cotes Du Rone, Cotieres de Nimes and Baux de Provence.

You must remember to greet everyone you meet with a "Bonjour Monsieur or Madam". The French are extremely polite people. If you learn a few words, people will appreciate it. If you go to the Louvre or Musee D'Orsay, get there around 8.30 am. The queues can get very long! We used the Metro to get anywhere, you just need to know the end of the line for your stop to know which one to catch. Buy 10 tickets at a time, around 13 Euro at the machines.

If you go to Monet's Garden in Giverne, you need to catch the Metro, then RER, then a bus. We used the iPad app, Paris Metro which was really good. The weather should be warmer for you, it was still a bit chilly when we were there. You will probably still need an umbrella, though!

Enjoy! You'll love the place.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2014, 07:30:25 pm »
Fantastic tips! Yes, we've rented a teeny apartment in st germain, right near the river. Was the trip to monet's garden worth that complicated trip?

I'll download the metro app now. Good idea!

Any tours you would definitely recommend to book in advance? We are more "wander around" people ourselves, but if there's anything must-do.,,

Getting so excited!!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2014, 08:12:21 pm »
Monet garden is wonderful Laura.The day we went we didn't have to queue for too long.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2014, 10:52:14 am »
Monet's Garden was well worth the trip. It wasn't too complicated, you just need to work it all out before you go. The RER and the bus work together, so when you arrive in ....... (agh! can't remember name of town), the bus will be there to take you to Giverne.

If you stay in Avignon at all, I recommend the Avignon Wine Tour. Francois is fantastic!! Though, you may find it's already booked out.

Musee D'Orsay is wonderful. I'd go to Fountainbluea and Veux Le Vicompte instead of Versailles. Crowds are huge at Versailles.
Do a River Cruise and you'll go past Le Tour Eiffel at night.

We're into wandering on our own, too. We just told our driver that's what we wanted to do. It worked well as we were on small group tours. We did an overnighter on a tour bus to Normandy and Brittany and it was horrible. I'd just hire a private taxi next time.

Enjoy your planning!!

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2014, 03:14:07 pm »
We booked a small group tour of the louvre and highly recommend it. No queuing for tickets and no aimlessly wandering.  Nice to be enlightened with the arty knowledge also.
I loved our cooking class also, it was in a ladies apartment.  Can find her details if you are interested.
Denise

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2014, 01:07:08 pm »
Ooh, I really wanted to do a cooking class, but one of my sisters wasn't interested, so we didn't.  :-\  Small group tour of the Louvre would be excellent.
I wouldn't book tours through Viator, one of our tours didn't even cover the three towns we were supposed to go to! Check Trip Advisor for reviews of tours.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2014, 08:38:00 pm »
We hired a car and visited Monet's garden.  Very memorable.  Loved his house. 
Have done 2 cooking classes in Paris,  neither good. Last one was with Susan Loomis,  whose books I love but class not good. She really wasn't interested in what she was showing us.  Very expensive also. 
First one was years ago at the Ritz,  class was all Americans and me.  The Chef refused to speak English,  although he could. 
Have done several day tours,  all have been good.  Sorry,  can't remember who with.