Author Topic: Poison Sugar  (Read 6439 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Poison Sugar
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:07:32 pm »
for those of you not following Sunrise on Channel 7 (Australia) here is the link to the Sugar Perils and Addiction - note: it may be available on the net for 7 days only.  It relates to the amount of sugar we consume on a daily basis, without being aware of the volume and the addiction, and how much weight we can lose in eliminating it from our diet

What do you think about the pros and cons of dextrose vs sugar? (I feel a little hesitant about using it hence the question)

Does anyone already supplement dextrose on a daily basis and what is their opinion? What is your opinion on better alternatives and how to use.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:29:45 pm by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Poison Sugar
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:47:52 pm »
sugar is actually worse than fat as it turns into fat...but seriously I stick to everything in moderation...sugar is very bad for you as is caffeine and a whole lot of other things but substitute to me are worse......i wouldnt be worried about replacing sugar just minimising intake and not using substitutes and the less processed the better obviously....cut down the cakes, biscuits, coffees, sweet chocolates etc and eat a healthy diet and you will be fine...  The problem today is too many people eat too much crap, even homemade goodies can be unhealthy.  Why not use agave syrup to replace sugar....and still in moderation.  Blab over lol
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline ChanNKids

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
I use coconut sugar or rapadura :)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:02:58 am »
Loved the blab Frozzie. Just a good deal of common sense and good advice.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:50:15 am »
Yep, I agree with Frozzie - it's all a worry somewhere along the line so it's best to be moderate in your intake of anything too yummy.  Supplements and substitutes often seem to come with their own concerns, not all of which are apparent initially. :o
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:52:03 am »
 :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »
Keep blabbing Frozzie. I am convinced that   "natural unrefined, foods twinned with Thermomix is the way to go.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:44:02 pm »
 :) I think the more natural, unprocessed, unrefined, fresh, healthy are better.

Alot of the recipes you can cut down the amount of sugar.
I'm with you Frozzie.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Therminator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:09:45 am »
I think the recipes in the EDC have too much sugar (ie: from a taste perspective rather than a health/weight perspective).  Pre-Thermomix, I didn't buy/cook with alot of processed foods, but now I can't stand the taste of any of that stuff.
We had jacket potatoes the other night, bacon onion, coleslaw etc, but I put bought mayo on the coleslaw, it was revolting.   
I still use tomato paste and canned tomatoes when I cook, but that will only be until summer and I can make my own.

I wasn't a huge health freak prior to Thermie, and now really only go to the greengrocers and butchers for a weekly shop.

On the odd occasion that I do go to the supermarket, I love looking at other people's trolleys, jars of chicken tonight make me feel ill!!!

Offline ChanNKids

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 03:21:28 am »
I too am big on trying not to use and processed foods. White sugar fits into this category for me... The added bleaches etc make me feel sick. It's why I prefer coconut sugar/ honey/ rapadura. Same for white flour.... My husband and I have an odd habit of looking into other peoples trolleys too lol. 

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 06:19:42 am »
Gazing into other peoples' trolleys is quite common amongst many of our members - and we all shudder when we see what we used to eat (and even thought tasted great ... at the time!).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:41:52 pm »
Glad I'm not the only one who rubbernecks at other people's trolleys. I feel so virtuous that mine is mostly filled with vegetables, meat and whole foods.

I always cut down on the amount of sugar in recipes. If it says a cup, I use 2/3. I've tried agave, but not in cakes yet. I find the hidden sugar the real problem - those bought buns have masses of sugar in them and those awful packaged sauces and jars of casserole sauces (Chicken Tonight!!) are loaded with sugar too.

Fortunately, I make my own everything from scratch so am avoiding that extra hidden poison!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 11:38:52 pm »
I shop online now and have it delivered (except for fruit and veg from our local shop).  The only part I miss about doing the groceries at the supermarket is looking into other peoples trolleys. I used to feel very proud of my own trolley contents.  :-)) ;D