Author Topic: Croquettes - Chicken or Tuna or Salmon  (Read 15981 times)

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
Croquettes - Chicken or Tuna or Salmon
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:12:44 am »
Name of Recipe:Croquettes - Chicken or Tuna or Salmon
Number of People: Makes 12 large - so depends on what you are serving them with. Would also make 20 or so small ones for finger foods.
Ingredients:
300g potatoes – peeled and cut into chunks
15g butter
parsley
1 clove garlic
˝ small onion or 2 spring onion
˝ courgette
300g cooked chicken/tuna/salmon
sm can corn (optional)
40 g cheese (parmesan or cheddar grated)
2 tbsp tomato sauce
salt and pepper
breadcrumbs, flour, egg

Preparation:
Make breadcrumbs if needed and set aside. (use 2-3 slices of bread)

Cook potatoes (If doing in tmx – add 650ml water, put potatoes in steaming basket and cook for 25mins  on varoma temperature – you could steam some chicken at the same time).
Mash potatoes with the butter (insert butterfly, 20 sec, spd 3).
Set aside.

Add garlic, onion, herbs and courgette and chop 5 sec sp 6
Add oil and sauté 3 mins 100° sp 1

Add the potatoes, chicken (or whatever), corn, tomato sauce, cheese and salt and pepper.
Mix together. 1 min reverse spd 2

Shape into croquettes
Dip in flour, then egg then breadcrumbs.

Cook in a frying pan until browned.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
I used to make these with tinned tuna or salmon when the girls were younger. I imagine you could use ham as well or any cooked meat.

These ones didn't have sweetcorn as I didn't have any.

members' comments

KerrynN - We had these with salmon and DH and I thought they were very tasty!  I ran out of breadcrumbs so for the last one used some of the Italian crumbs (from the EDC) I had in the freezer - that one was my favourite!
The kids weren't all that rapt so I think given the amount of time that went into preparing them I wouldn't do them again for the kids for a while. I found the mixture a little wet and wondered whether less butter with the mash or adding some breadcrumbs to the mixture would have helped?

Zan - Kerryn, either less butter or added breadcrumbs would work.

JD - I made these using tuna - the recipe made 8 good sized patties.  I have frozen 4 of them uncooked. I started the recipe earlier in the day ie the mashed potato then refrigerated it until I had been to the shop to get other ingredients. Continued with the recipe when I returned and the mixture was solid and perfect so perhaps this is the secret - let the potato go cold before proceeding with the recipe and preferably make the patties or croquettes in advance and refrigerate before cooking later.
I loved them Zan, comfort food at its best for a hot day - thank you.

johnro - Thanks Zan for the post and reminding me how delicious these type of patties with a potato base were.  Made these for lunch using chicken with chookies KFC coating.

maddy - these were yummy, thanks Zan! 
Like Judy, I cooked the potato earlier and on your suggestion, steamed 400g chicken thighs at the same time.
Mashed the potato, removed and then shredded the chicken by roughly chopping in chunks, then giving 3 quick bursts on turbo.
I added 1 tsp curry powder to the breadcrumbs too. Everyone enjoyed them and they're quite filling too!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:34:17 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Croquettes - Chicken or Tuna or Salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:19:17 am »
Nice one Zan - this is a great idea with pre-cooking the meat/fish and mixing with potato.

You could do it ahead and then fry as needed.  Good work  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:22:48 am »
Looks nice Zan
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »
I agree, nice one Zan.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »
You could add more herbs, spices etc to increase taste (I used parsley and thyme tonight but you could add anything).

Thermomixer - I used to freeze them all the time when the girls were little.

Today I did the mashed potato in the afternoon and then combined it all and made them up when it came to dinnertime. But as it was one of our super busy afternoons I would have been better making them up and then refrigerating ready for cooking - depending on temperature it doesn't take long as they are all cooked ingredients.

And for the chicken ones I think a bit of feta would go down so well. (I have a thing for chicken and feta at the moment)

Obviously any veg can be added you want. I tend to shove a bit of grated zucchini into everything, lol, red capsicum would be good too.

Also apologies for the photo - the really neat ones had already been eaten, lol.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:08:48 am »
These are definitely on the menu for this week.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:01:00 am »
Yum might try these next week thanks I am always looking for meals that everyone will like

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 08:18:41 am »
We had these for dinner tonight with salmon and DH and I thought they were very tasty!  I ran out of breadcrumbs so for the last one used some of the Italian crumbs (from the EDC) I had in the freezer - that one was my favourite!

The kids weren't all that wrapt so I think given the amount of time that went into preparing them I wouldn't do them again for the kids for a while (they would have been just as happy with the salmon steamed and served the mash on the side).

I found the mixture a little wet and wondered whether less butter with the mash or adding some breadcrumbs to the mixture would have helped?

Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:07 am »
Kerryn, either less butter or added breadcrumbs would work.
I tend to make things up as a go along a lot, lol, so I would have thrown some breadcrumbs or even a little flour in if it was a bit wet.
Love adding extras to breadcrumbs too - we like our food quite full of flavour so I'm always adding extra herbs, garlic, spices, chilli to things.
Glad you enjoyed them. Pity the kids weren't so keen, mine always have loved things you can pick up, lol, cutlery has never been their favourite eating utensil.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:06:26 am »
Using your recipe I made these tuna patties for lunch - the recipe made 8 good sized patties.  I have frozen 4 of them uncooked.
I started the recipe earlier in the day ie the mashed potato then refrigerated it until I had been to the shop to get other ingredients. Continued with the recipe when I returned and the mixture was solid and perfect so perhaps this is the secret - let the potato go cold before proceeding with the recipe and preferably make the patties or croquettes in advance and refrigerate before cooking later.
I loved them Zan, comfort food at its best for a hot day - thank you.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:10:59 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 04:51:42 am »
Zan, love the look of these.  When I cook mashed potato I always cook double to use in salmon patties.  I use equal amounts of cold potato to tinned salmon with a little cooked onion.  This is my DH favorite meal.  Lately I have been adding some KFC spice to the bread crumbs.  Yours are probably healthier with the extra veggies.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 05:14:16 am »
Judy glad you enjoyed.
Good idea re the double amount of mashed potato (though I'd probably just eat it the next day, lol, we have it so rarely but it's one of my favourite foods. Mash and gravy is my ultimate comfort food, lol).

Chookie, the kfc mix in the breadcrumbs is a great idea!
The recipe was made up when the older kids were little and only on finger foods so it was a way to get extra veg in.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 03:17:16 am »
Thanks Zan for the post and reminding me how delicious these type of patties with a potato base were.  Made these for lunch using chicken with chookies KFC coating.  :)  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:47:58 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 05:27:31 am »
Great idea. Another dish to add to the repertoire.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 10:35:30 am »
These were yummy, thanks Zan!  :)

Like Judy, I cooked the potato earlier and on your suggestion steamed 400g chicken thighs at the same time.
Mashed the tata, removed and then shredded the chicken by roughly chopping in chunks, then giving 3 quick bursts on turbo.

I added 1 tsp curry powder to the breadcrumbs too.
Everyone enjoyed them, and they're quite filling too!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:24:44 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!