Author Topic: Pumpkin Soup-EDC  (Read 13099 times)

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
Pumpkin Soup-EDC
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:55:02 pm »
Recipe Name: Pumpkin Soup
Book Name: EDC
Tweaking details: I made two batches- one with the classic recipe, and one with in Asian style, suggested in the book
Review: Fantastic!  The Asian batch was way nicer than the classic, but I did use a whole tin of (reduced fat) coconut milk, so it would have heaps more calories.
Score: 5/5 for both

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pumpkin Soup-EDC
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:03:47 am »
We like this with a bit of curry paste in for a change.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 03:15:28 am »
Thanks Caroline J - it was the dish that my consultant demonstrated for me and then I went home and did it my way !

It is a good recipe and sooooo easy in the TMX - one of my favs for a quick meal by blitzing the pumpkin before cooking to shorten cooking time.

Thanks CJ  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:07:12 pm »
I made this recently for the first time - direct from the EDC - and frankly we were a bit disappointed in it.  I think it's the technique of chopping before cooking... the texture wasn't at all smooth... it was all textured and not at all smooth & creamy.

Has anyone tried pureeing it after cooking?  I thought about doing it then realised it could be a bit dangerous if the hot liquid were to spurt out the top at all?

I've made lots of variations of pumpkin soup before but never with carrot in; we did enjoy this part of the recipe  :)
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:52:38 pm »
I tried it and was disappointed as to me the pumpkin still had a "raw" taste which turns me off.

I make my own pumpkin puree for pies and etc., and like the flavor that develops with long and slow oven roasting.  My Mexican neighbors even smoke pumpkin, that has been cut into wedges, to get a deeper, richer flavor.  They candy this pumpkin, it is a traditional treat for the Dia de Los Muertos Fiesta (Day of the Dead celebration) which falls this year on November 2. 
Ironically it is also election day, being the first Tuesday in November.

I've tried to convert my pumpkin soup to the TMX but it just doesn't work for me without pre-roasting the pumpkin.  There are just some foods that need that deeper flavor.  At least in my opinion.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:27 pm »
I blitz it after cooking with the MC on. I turn the speed up very gradually and all my soups come out smooth as - I even have my friends asking me if i've put cream in the soup it's so silky. blitzing at the end makes all the difference.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:55:51 am »
I chop it first to speed up cooking (for about 15 mins) and then blitz it on 9 or 10 for a minute or so and it is silky smooth
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline the_vermins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:59 am »
Made thislast night and the kids loved it! I didn't mind it either. I love that I made two batches in under an hour. Very happy with that part. No troubles with texture. Just slowly blitzed it then it was fine.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:46 pm »
I had problems with texture which were solved by adding five minutes to the cooking time. I blitz the pumpkin before cooking (as per recipe) and then again when it finishes for a smooth finish. It seems to handle being hot and on speed nine with no spurting or leaking.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 08:28:27 am »
The EDC recipe tells you to blend the soup after it is cooked  ;) ;)

TMX is designed to puree hot foods (eg soups, baby food etc) at the end of cooking - one of the selling points. You have to slowly turn the speed dial to the speed you are using (ie speed 8 or 9). One of the safety features is when the bowl is warm it won't go to those speeds straight away - that is why you have to turn it slowly, otherwise you would just get a whoosh of hot liquid.

A few recipes around will also advise to hold the MC with a tea towel - this is also dangerous because if you accidently knock the MC you will get splashed! If you turn the dial slowly the steam will start to escape as soon as you start, and you should only get a couple of spatters at the most on to the top of the lid. I find this works best if you have the MC with the flat side down into the bowl  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Melly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 08:50:14 am »
I made this today after making the kfc spice mix, I left some in and I really liked to bit of spice in my soup, I'm not usually a pumpkin or soup fan but I went back for seconds.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 08:55:52 am »
I am not a fan of plain pumpkin soup. I do like it with half pumpkin and half sweet potato, with a red chilli thrown in.

I do think it does take up flavours well - great idea with the KFC spice mix - waste not  ;) ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Melly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 08:59:43 am »
I love sweet potato, will try adding that with the pumpkin next

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 03:49:13 am »
That would take the soup to a new dimension. I must remember to do that, thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline peppersmum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 02:30:16 am »
I have made this twice now and found like others it tasted 'raw' the first time ... the second time I cooked it for 5 minutes longer and it was PERFECT!!  YUMMO!