Author Topic: SALTED CARAMEL MAPLE ICE CREAM  (Read 99486 times)

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
SALTED CARAMEL MAPLE ICE CREAM
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:58:34 am »
SALTED CARAMEL MAPLE ICE CREAM

300g raw sugar
50g 100% maple syrup
50g unsalted butter
2 generous tsp natural vanilla extract
2 tsp sea salt
100g full cream milk
500g cream
4 eggs
150g dark chocolate chopped (optional)

Preparation:
Place sugar into TM bowl and pulverise for 15 seconds on speed 9.

Add maple syrup, butter and vanilla and cook for 15 minutes at Varoma temp on speed 1.

Add salt, cream, milk and whisk together for 30 seconds on speed 5.

Reduce to speed 4 and add eggs one at a time.

Cook a further 5 minutes on 100 degrees at speed 4.

Pour into cold metal tin (or plastic) and freeze.

After 3-4 hours when partially frozen, remix for 1 minute on speed 5 to give a creamier consistency.

Fold through chocolate chunks after remixing on Reverse + speed 1 for a few seconds.

Pour into cold tin and freeze for up to 12 hours.

This recipe is from the 2009 calendar for the month of January.

Made this 3 times and you won't be disappointed.  You will never go out and buy and other ice-cream!!!

You can taste the salt but I don't think it would matter if you didn't use sea salt.    
It's yum with the chocolate and I've used it every time but next time I'm not going to use it as its rich enough with out due to the maple syrup.  Plus it also reduces the cost of the ice-cream not buying the dark chocolate as that can be a bit pricey.

Members' comments
Cookie1 - I used low fat milk when I made the ice-cream.  It was only 100g (I think).  It still tastes lovely.  Very decadent. We always use lite milk here, I never buy full cream. Re the chocolate in the ice-cream, I left it out and it was fine. In fact I think I will always leave it out of that ice-cream as we really like the smoothness of it and the taste of the maple syrup.

Karonjulie - It's a very creamy and rich ice-cream and 100g of skim milk I don't think would make any difference to the texture of the ice-cream itself.   Every calorie counts I guess!!

faffa 70 - This is divine, my other half made this (very proud of himself  Wink ). He used normal salt as that was all we have in the house atm, he also added the chocolate and I must say this is very decadent!! Interesting to note that it seems to work with lite milk as that is all we have in the house and had to buy full fat especially to make this, would be more convenient not to have to.

Shayla - We made this at the weekend and it was delicious but I also think I will leave out the chocolate next time for a smoother ice cream. Didn't know which kind of cream to use so used half double and half whipping - also used full cream milk and sea salt.
I have now made this many times and twice had to rescue it after the eggs cooked, now I cook the custard at 90 instead of 100 for about 8 minutes - much better. I call it my frozen creme brulee ice-cream as it tastes just like that. I think it is very light due to using whole eggs instead of just the yolks and am going to experiment with more flavours using this method. Another thing I don't buy any more! I also prefer it without the chocolate but will try a chocolate ripple ice cream next.

Well yesterday we made a ginger ice cream based on this recipe. Instead of maple syrup we used ginger syrup - from preserved ginger (I also make this myself when the ginger is young) then while the ice cream was having its first freeze we chopped the preserved ginger and added it when we blitzed. We didn't add enough so more was added and then a second blitz. Now frozen and it is divine. In the end we used about 200gm preserved ginger. Next time I make it I will weigh everything and write it up.

JaneeZee - We made this at the weekend and it was delicious but I also think I will leave out the chocolate next time for a smoother ice cream. Didn't know which kind of cream to use so used half double and half whipping - also used full cream milk and sea salt.

CarolineJ - I just "checked" on it.  Not frozen through yet, but it was TO DIE FOR!!  My husband is going to love this one.

Ceee - Made this for last night's dinner and used crushed Cadburys Flake which I just stirred through after the second whizz. I don't like frozen chocolate so these fine flakes were just right!

Narelle - This dessert should be outlawed or included as an essential part of a daily diet.  YUM.  At the rate I'm going there'll be lucky to be any left for our visitors tonight.

JulieO - Made the custard last night then put in the fridge to chill overnight.  Used my ice cream maker this morning to churn into ice cream and put in the freezer to firm up.  We all just had a scoop to try it and it was loved by all.  I think one scoop is plenty as it is a bit rich, but it does mean that it will last longer which is a good thing. The only change I made was to reduce the sugar to 250g and it was sweet enough. Great recipe, thanks for posting

Katya - I used less sugar than specified in the recipe and also used semi-skimmed milk and it still tasted great.   I didn't put chocolate in but did contemplate crushing some pecan nuts in and adding them.  

CarolineW - I made this (actually, never got to finish it off - DH and DD got to it before me!).  They are major, major fans of this ice-cream, just as it is before anything is added.  I sprinkle pecans on the top.  They won't allow me to touch it to finish it off, or to add anything (chocolate or pecans).  They can't believe it could be more perfect. I agree with JulieO - very rich, so one scoop is enough.

cathy79 - Finally got around to making this today.  I must admit I had doubts it could live up to the hype.  How wrong was I!  OMG, it's fantastic.  I think it will be beautiful on Christmas Day with Christmas Pudding instead (or as well as) custard etc.

KarenH - Made this ice-cream and followed the recipe exactly - but used rapadura sugar.  The flavour was lovely, but BOY was it salty!!!  DH and I could barely eat it.  I am absolutely certain that I only used the 2 tsp of salt recommended.  I will try to salvage this batch by making a second batch tomorrow using no salt at all, and mixing the two lots together.  I would have a go at making this again, but probably use a quarter of the salt recommended.  Has no-one else found this too salty?

hools003 - KJH I am so glad that someone else has thought the same thing. I was beginning to think I was the only one! I think I put a comment on another thread. I made it twice and the first time I used unsalted butter and 2 tsp sea salt. The second time I used unsalted butter and about 1/2 -3/4 tsp sea salt and it was yum. The first lot tasted nice to start, then made me feel sick!!

knittercook - I am with you Karen it was way too salty for all of us, I make vanilla ice cream all the time and this one was a big disappointment.

babyw - My family loves this ice-cream.  I use rapadura but less than the recipe states and I only use 1 tsp of salt.  I still think its too salty but the rest of the family (DH, 6yr old and 2x2yr olds) disagree!  I didn't even re-mix it the last time and it was still creamy and not icy at all.

CP - squisito! oh joy! mama mia! Someone put a lock on the fridge now (just joking - LEAVE THE FRIDGE ALONE!!!)

LeeJ - Made this one tonight, very easy recipe. I only used a few grinds of salt, so no where near the 2 tbs.
Only popped a little bit in my ice cream maker, and as someone else has said, it is like a creme brulee style ice cream, it is lovely.

Bedlam - Divine, everyone loves this ice-cream. My second batch with my ice-cream maker, poured it in feeling proud, left it for 10 mins and realized I didn't have the paddle in! Refroze the bowl, did it again. Delicious ,very soft, is this because of the whole eggs? Would it be just as soft not churning? Didn't add the chocolate and don't think it need it.

Lellyj - I haven't made this with my ice-cream maker yet, but when I made it by letting it freeze, then whipping it in the tmx, then freezing it overnight, it was firm then.

jkmt - Made this one recently - it was quite hard - likely because I forgot to give it another mix after 3 hours in the freezer. However, I loved it, and will definitely make it again (and the ginger variation when my ginger-loving Mum comes to visit!). My DS10 informed me it tasted like butter and 'I'll eat it if I have to'. I told him he didn't have to, but he seems to have happily polished it off anyway!

Gert - I like making pecans praline and adding it at the end when half frozen.

mum2miya - Oh my this ice cream is divine! My DH has just returned from Europe with a stack of Swiss chocolate so I used a block of dark choc in it. I think I dinner guests may go out and buy a TMX on the strength of this ice cream!

JD - Yes, yes, yes - this is a beautiful ice-cream, so smooth and manageable.  Anyone worked out how many calories in a serving yet?

tarosuma - I tried this ice-cream but it was way too sweet for us.   I think maybe though that using rapadura sugar completely changes it and even though I dropped the sugar by 50g, it was way too much sweetness still.  One day I will try it with normal sugar if I have guests coming. I loved the buttery, smooth texture though.

Lilli33 - This is divine... And has plenty of sweetness with 100 g less. Hope the guests are impressed tonight. I folded before I went to bed and it was so smooth and creamy.
Reduced sugar was no problems at all. I can imagine it would be muuuuch sweeter with another 50% from what I added. Because it was caramelized nicely and coloured etc like caramel and much sweeter/richer than many. Definitely  give it a go. I used Muscovado too, so that probably  helped with the depth of colour.

kimmyh - Made this without the chocolate and it is awesome. So smooth and creamy and yummy.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:00:07 pm by judydawn »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: SALTED CARAMEL MAPLE ICE CREAM
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:43:38 pm »
does it have to be sea salt and full cream milk?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:43:06 pm »
does it have to be sea salt and full cream milk?

Karen, I think that ordinary salt would do, but this icecream deserves to be rich and lush and low fat would be a sin!! :o
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 02:53:41 am »
lol it's only that i would have to buy full cream especially ;)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 03:26:44 am »
You could add some extra cream (or butter)  ;) ;) - that is what they took out of the skim milk  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:52:17 am »
I used low fat milk when I made the icecream.  It was only 100g (I think).  It still tastes lovely.  Very decadent.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:10:15 am »
Hmmm, I think that I'm going to have to make this, despite the snow!  Are you bothering to add the chocolate, or are you leaving it out?  Just wondering which way tastes the best (obviously a personal opinion thing - but would like to know some personal opinions  ;D )
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:28:23 am »
You can taste the salt but I don't think it would matter if you didn't use sea salt.    Its a very creamy and rich icecream and 100g of skim milk I don't think would make any difference to the texture of the icecream itself.   Every calorie counts I guess!!

Its yum with the chocolate and I've used it every time but next time I'm not going to use it as its rich enough with out due to the maple syrup.  Plus it also reduces the cost of the icecream not buying the dark chocolate as that can be a bit pricey.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 01:09:11 am »
LOl it's really not the calories and fat content i'm worried about, i swear!! (we do have lite white in teh house, just not full cream ;))
My Cooking Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 06:10:16 am »
We always use lite milk here, I never buy full cream.
Re the chocolate in the icecream, I left it out and it was fine. In fact I think I will always leave it out of that icecream as we really like the smoothness of it and the taste of the maple syrup.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:21 am »
This is divine, my other half made this (very proud of himself  ;) ). He used normal salt as that was all we have in the house atm, he also added the chocolate and I must say this is very decadent!! Interesting to note that it seems to work with lite milk as that is all we have in the house and had to buy full fat especially to make this, would be more convenient not to have to.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 07:18:32 pm »
We made this at the weekend and it was delicious but I also think I will leave out the chocolate next time for a smoother ice cream. Didn't know which kind of cream to use so used half double and half whipping - also used full cream milk and sea salt.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:31:07 pm by sjharrop »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 02:19:05 am »
It is probably 35% fat cream - that is the most commonly used here in Australia.  If it were 45% then Tenina would have specified.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 06:16:33 am »
I made this for Christmas morning.  We go to a Canadian friends house & traditionally have pancakes, bacon, mixed berries, maple syrup & bircher muesli - all together on the one plate!!! So I contributed this ice cream without chocolate.  I don't even like ice cream particularly OR maple syrup yet it was totally delicious.  I always use sea salt & full cream unhomogenised milk (true Cyndi O'Meara devotee!!) & used double cream for this.  Only problem was it didn't make enough!!!!!

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 11:35:28 am »
Made this last night and it would have been wonderful except the ice-creamer maker broke down and I hadn't allowed enough time for it to freeze naturally in the freezer so I had to make a frozen fruit sorbet instead.  We were able to taste the ice-cream at the end of our dinner (it was still quite mushy so we just had a small bit)  and it went down a storm.  I'm looking forward to having it once it is properly frozen.

I used less sugar than specified in the recipe and also used semi-skimmed milk and it still tasted great.   I didn't put chocolate in but did contemplate crushing some pecan nuts in and adding them.