Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 509530 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #945 on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:06 am »
I tried out my first book club this week. A bit disappointed, the book was hardly discussed - on the bright side if I ever need turf, I have a contact  ??? ;D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #946 on: May 03, 2013, 09:06:44 am »
I tried out my first book club this week. A bit disappointed, the book was hardly discussed - on the bright side if I ever need turf, I have a contact  ??? ;D

This can be a common problem in book clubs. Too much gossip, not enough considered discussion.  Used to piss me off no end.  We can chit chat over lunch or a coffee - I like to hear about the books in a book club meeting.  >:(
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 03, 2013, 09:07:58 am »
 :D

just started The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. I once went to a discussion that she was giving about one of her books, and was amazed that she looked so ordinary/normal as opposed to a famous authoress IYKWIM.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #948 on: May 03, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »
Amanda, I really enjoyed City of Women and have already recommended it to a few friends. I have Jodie Piccoult's book Storyteller on my bedside table but am so reluctant to read it. I have read one of her other books and got irritated with the internal inconsistencies...this is a book club book - so I will have to persist.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 03, 2013, 12:09:37 pm »
Just downloaded  The  Aftermath by Rhidian Brook which I had on pre order from Amazon.

Reading a freebie The Tenant  Lawyer  by Eric Dinnocenzo which is pretty ordinary but that is ok by me.

I now have 51 books backed up!

Gert.
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 03, 2013, 12:48:56 pm »
Michele I tried a couple of book clubs before I found one that suited me.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
just started The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. I once went to a discussion that she was giving about one of her books, and was amazed that she looked so ordinary/normal as opposed to a famous authoress IYKWIM.

I love Jodi Picoult CP, would be interested to hear what you think of the Storyteller as I haven't read it yet :)

I'm reading Janet Evanovich at the moment ;D

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 04, 2013, 11:28:45 am »
My reading seems to have slowed down... Finished Marian Keyes' Mystery at Mercy Close. Must say I don't enjoy her books as much as I did when I was younger. Started another Camilla Lackberg book, The Preacher, only a few pages in so far.
I agree this thread is like a book club - I've discovered a few books & authors I never would have heard of if not for you lovely people. Just wish I had more time to read - my kindle wish list gets longer every time I come on here!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 04, 2013, 11:59:48 am »
I know! I would never have read the Preacher if it wasn't for this thread. I really enjoyed it too.
I actually abandoned my book club book this month - it was too tedious. It's the first time that I haven't finished a book, and I wasn't alone. We cancelled the meeting , got the new book from the library, and I'm enjoying the new book. However, I spoke to one of the other members who had actually enjoyed The Coffee Trader. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things!
I've recently read "Web of Deceit" by Katherine Howell, and had trouble putting it down:)
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 05, 2013, 05:00:00 am »
I'm reading The Storyteller at the mo and I am really enjoying it.  Have to agree with deedub about Marian Keyes latest book.  I was a real fan of hers after reading Rachels Holiday and following the antics of the Walsh Family.  But her latest books have been way off the mark.  I went to  Dymocks get-together a few years ago where she spoke about her book and she is really lovely.  But I think her latest bout of depression is taking it's toll on her writing.  But I will still continue to support her and buy her books.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 07, 2013, 09:07:14 am »
ES I am a Katherine Howell fan. I also love Camilla Lackberg. I am read ing a light Nora Roberts at the moment. Hopefully I will get to read lots up here.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #956 on: May 08, 2013, 11:47:31 pm »
Just finished Suspect by Robert Crais.   What a lovely book, thoroughly enjoyed it.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 09, 2013, 06:39:55 am »
I've just started Gone Girl.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 09, 2013, 06:48:00 am »
Be interested to know what you think cookie. I just finished a bodice ripper freebie. I thought it was going to be about a chef. Well it was but there were some pretty hot session in the bedroom as well as the dining room table. It was actually a hoot. Came as a complete surprise and I HAD to finish  it.  Surprising what you can get in a free book. LOL!

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 09, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »
Can just imagine the glasses fogging up Gretch  :D I went a bit mad last night downloading books in prep for when we go away. I want to read the great Gatsby before I go see the film with my sister. The Misrembered Man, The Sisterhood, The Fields, Defending Jacob,  The Dovekeepers, Whistling Woman, Delirium, and The Dinner.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand