Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507512 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #405 on: October 17, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »
Good luck CP!

I've just finished Kathy Reich's latest on my iPad, "Bones are Forever". It's our Book Club book for the month.

Hated it. Got lost many times, couldn't work out who the characters were, what the plot was really all about. It kind of came together in the end, but not satisfactorily.

I found it difficult to 'picture' anything in my mind, the characters, the places etc.

I found the acronyms impossible! So many of them for all the different departments of the police and forensic forces.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 17, 2012, 08:55:50 pm »
MJ, her books used to be so good at the beginning (like Patricia Cornwell) and I've continued reading each of her new books as they come out, but have to agree with what you are saying.  Same thing happened with her last one for me.  Haven't bought this one yet as I have heaps of others that I can read first, but I'm thinking whether I'll even bother.

One series that I always enjoy reading is by Michael Connelly, the main character is Harry Bosch.  If you haven't ready any of them, have a look, and try and start from the beginning as even though the stores are stand alone, there are reference to things in the past, especially regarding his personal life.

I've just started reading the new Jack Reacher, The Wanted Man.  :D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #407 on: October 17, 2012, 09:15:51 pm »
I'll look out for the Michael Connelly books. Thanks JO.
I like to read books where it's a series with the same characters. Love Janet Evanivuch's 'number' series with the same set of characters, particularly Lula 😄
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 17, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »
Yes me too.  I've read all the JE books too, except for the last 2, was finding they were starting to all sound the same and I lost interest.  Again loved the earlier books.  I'd find myself laughing out loud at some of the things (which doesn't happen very often for me.   ;))

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »
CP did you use the freight forwarder? I couldn't resist and ended up placing an order for makeup from a US store which should get combined with my kindle order.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 18, 2012, 01:07:16 am »
Yes, I used that one I mentioned earlier. They have been super efficient. Email today from them to say the items have been shipped to the address in the USA, so after that it won't be too long.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 18, 2012, 02:19:09 am »
That's the same one I use CP and they have been good so far

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #412 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:54 am »
Good to know some of these freight forwarders are good. Have had Bad experience with a couple of them.

Btw, reading GONE GIRL - great thriller as well as a story about unravelling of a marriage.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 18, 2012, 04:13:41 am »
Yes me too.  I've read all the JE books too, except for the last 2, was finding they were starting to all sound the same and I lost interest.  Again loved the earlier books.  I'd find myself laughing out loud at some of the things (which doesn't happen very often for me.   ;))

I agree! Same with PC and CR. Great series when they first started, but the series has overstayed it's wlcome and got stale.

My MIL has lent me "Call the Midwife" _ she had watched the series on TV, and said that the book was better than the series. I had only caught one episode which I enjoyed, so i thought I'd enjoy the book too. I liked the parts in the book that told the story of her experiences as a midwife in the East End of London in the 1950"s ,but the other parts of the book really got up my nose.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 18, 2012, 05:52:44 am »
Good to know some of these freight forwarders are good. Have had Bad experience with a couple of them.

Btw, reading GONE GIRL - great thriller as well as a story about unravelling of a marriage.

I did not even bother adding this to my wish list. I downloaded it immediately. Sound like my kind of book. WELL Written.

Yes I shouted.

You can watch the first series of Midwife on iBBC on you iPad if ya have one.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

mcmich

« Reply #415 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10:21 am »
My Berlin Kitchen. A bit Julie/Julia - but a very lovely story with recipes.  :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:47:56 am by mcmich »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 18, 2012, 08:43:08 am »

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 18, 2012, 09:20:04 am »
I saw a link on the Sydney Morning Herald web site today but have not had time to look. Is it laughable?

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 18, 2012, 09:25:30 am »
I won't be wasting my money on that film. I don't think Jack would actually fit in that bathtub like Tom did. LOL,

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:24 am »
About to reread one of my favourites: Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling.
Fiona - who could be working if she wanted to get a job