Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507624 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #330 on: October 01, 2012, 11:08:40 pm »
Nice one Amanda ;D

I may just may be getting a decent phone so so I must  find an Idiots guide for iPhone. I guess that would be self help. I love those guides.

Gert

LOL :-))

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:35 am »
Over the last year I have taken to reading some of the classics either again or for the first time.  I have read Prid and Prejudice, and Northanger Abby by Jane Austen. The last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper and Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain.

Gert will find this shocking but I had never read Tom Sawyer before.

I read the Republic by Plato many years ago. That was a chore but interesting. I also read Moby Dick by Herman Melville. That was also a difficult read. 

I also read similar books to Amy.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 02, 2012, 05:25:16 am »
I love Jane Austen.  I recently re read Wilkie Collins, A Woman in White., he was a wonderful mystery writer and a great wordsmith.

Well you are young enough for self improvement books Den . Let me know when you have improved. LOL!

Seems we all like to read here if only the forum!

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 02, 2012, 06:00:41 am »
Well done on Last of the Mohicans and Moby Dick, DD - I tried and tried but just couldn't get 'into' either of them.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

*suzanne*

« Reply #334 on: October 02, 2012, 07:18:38 am »
Not saying  they are all 'good'  but all enjoyable by me. I don't think it matters what you read so long as you read.  You can start by reading cereal boxes.  In fact I think cereal manufactures miss out by not having a serial story on their boxes.  Milk cartons too. At least kids might get interested. On a recent flight  I saw two parents with two children. The parents were reading Kindles and the kids had some  game thingys  and were very noisy and aggressive playing some kill,'em game . I would have preferred the other way around. I am sure a lot of teachers on this forum  despair about  the lack of reading by kids these days.

I know of a 15 year old privately educated boy who prides himself in never having read a book and yet he thinks he will be going to UNI . What a joke and no doubt it will be wasting his parents money.  He can't spell and his FB page is full of expletives spelled badly. What a joke. 

Gert

That is so sad how can any one not like to read.
I  love to read and luckily for me so do my kids, my eldest DS is getting a kindle for christmas, I have no room for any more books, we do go to the library a lot but after having no idea what to buy him that was my conclusion, since he loves mine  :-))
At the moment I am reading Mary Higgins Clarke she is one of my favourite authors when I don't want to really think

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 02, 2012, 07:34:51 am »
I have not read. MHClarke in ages. Must per  her back on my list.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

*suzanne*

« Reply #336 on: October 02, 2012, 07:45:03 am »
I have also loved reading  all of Bryce Courtney's books and was so saddened by the news of his cancer  :(

mcmich

« Reply #337 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:15 am »
My DS only ever read playstation cheat magazines when he was a young teenager. Then at about 16 he developed a liking for Stephen King. Now at 22 he reads about 2 books a week borrowed from the library.

Maybe it takes some people longer than others to develop a love of reading.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 02, 2012, 08:34:32 am »
My youngest DD was not a reader in her early years at school. DW asked her one day what type of books she would like to read. All she wanted to read was horse stories so DW and I spent a day driving all over Perth to find horse books suitable for an 8 year old. That was all she read for years.  She had a couple of series of horse books like Pony Pals.

Then one day when she was in year 6 or 7 she came home wanting to read the Harry Potter books because the kids at school were all talking about them. From that first HP book her interest in reading something other than horse books has grown.

Now she reads a variety of books and is working towards her masters in child protection.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2012, 08:44:46 am »
Yup Mcmich And Den it just takes the right author  to come along and spark the imagination.

For me it was Enid Blyton and the Famous Five. Then Carolyn Keen and Nancy Drew.

But I really loved my Golden Books
Gert
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:55:36 am by Gertbysea »

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 02, 2012, 08:49:37 am »
Yup Mcmich Nd Den it just takes it right author  to come along and spark the imagination.

For me it was Enid Blyton and the Famous Five. Then Carolyn Keen and Nancy Drew.

Gert

I love Enid Blyton! I use to read her books when I was younger. I especially loved The Magic Faraway Tree series with the characters Moonface and Silky. Lots of good memories reading her books  :D
Katie, Perth WA

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:02 am »
I just thought I would bore you with a story about the earliest book I can remember vividly (although I know it is not the first book I ever saw or read).

When I was perhaps 6 or 7 I went for a walk with my mum and dad one Sunday afternoon and we decided to go to the library.  As I have mentioned elsewhere, my parents were from the Outer Hebrides of Scotland and were very “clannish” so, when we got to the library I strolled off to the kids section, dad went elsewhere and mum went to the Travel / Scotland section and chose a book called “Lord of the Isles” which she opened randomly only to come face to face with a picture of her dad (whom she hadn’t seen since leaving home to immigrate to NZ many years before).  She didn’t know that the book existed, much less that her father’s photo was in it. That must have been the strangest of experiences for her.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 02, 2012, 09:00:53 am »
Oh I still get excited at the thought of the magic faraway tree. Loved all her books, and then once I read tom sawyer I have never stopped reading.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 02, 2012, 09:05:25 am »
Cuilidh have your read the book set in the Outer Hebrides by Lillian Beckwith?  I was introduced to,them by a dear neighbour who wa theLibrarian ar Dymocks. she ws the one who selected books to,send to people in the bush. Whe she died she left me her extensive library.

I was not bored by your story. I was delighted.

Gert

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 02, 2012, 09:10:17 am »
I have read some of Lillian Beckwith's books, but not for a long time.  I must keep them in mind.  Thanks for reminding me.