Author Topic: Golden Chicken Nuggets  (Read 54395 times)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Golden Chicken Nuggets
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »
Name of Recipe:Healthy Chicken Nuggets
Number of People:Makes 40-50
Ingredients:300gm chicken breast - cut into large pieces
                  1 carrot - peeled and cut into chunks
                  1 zucchini - cut into chunks
                  1/2 C corn kernals - (I use frozen.)
                  1 1/2 T soy sauce
                  1 T cornflour
                  1 1/2 C grated tasty cheese (can do first in TM)

Preparation:Pre heat oven 175oC.
                 Process chicken, zucchini, carrot and corn together sp6-6sec or until chopped finely.
                 Add all other ingred. and mix together well approx sp6-15sec
                 Roll Tablespoons of mixture into balls and place on a lined tray.
                 Bake til golden and cooked through, approx 20-30min.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:These freeze well either cooked or uncooked.

Turkey can be used as a substitute for chicken.

Adaped from a recipe in Practical Parenting magazine - issue April 2010

members' comments

Cecilia - I made it tonight using leftover corn couscous instead of the corn and thighs instead of the breast but still yummy and much appreciated.

JuliaC83 - Mixture was too runny to form ball shapes so I just spooned dessertspoon servings on a lined tray and they cooked well!

Kimmyh - Tried these and loved them. Really easy and great that I don't need breadcrumbs or oil. Thanks Astarra these will be a regular from now on.

Amy - Yum yum yum!! I loved them!! I made 30 bigger ones.

I have made a variation on these. I omitted the cheese and soy sauce and added 2 tsp ground coriander and 1 tsp ground cumin. I shaped them bigger and served them on cous cous with a very simple curry sauce (250ml milk, 1 tsp yellow curry paste, 2 tsp cornflour - 10 mins/90 degrees/speed 4). Next time I might up the spices for a bit more, or I could add the soy sauce back to the mixture.

I had some of the raw mixture left over so I cooked it up and put it in a Varoma frittata for dinner. I added a little extra curry paste to the eggs so it had a bit more oomph. Delicious!!

MF - love the fact that they have no breadcrumbs or crackers. Good for lunch boxes with a salad.

jo nz - They went down a treat, thanks Astarra.  They were especially popular with DH who kept saying the whole time "these are so delicious, you can make these again". It was a quick easy meal too - I made chunky oven fries in the oven at the same time and a salad to go with it.  Will definitely make again.

AussieMum2Boys - My boys loved them and there were enough left over for tomorrow!

Frozzie - These were quite tasty.. We loved them but were in a hurry so made them patty size and shallow fried them.. Will bake next time .... Great little recipe. Forgot to say we had them on buns.. They went like a flash.

Brumington - These were delicious. I didn't have any sweetcorn so left it out. Added a bit of fresh basil. A good healthy treat for the kids. I'll send some cold with my eldest to kindy.

BZB - I was a tad disappointed when these nuggets didn't look crunchy like store-bought ones. But when I tasted one - Oh wow! It was sooo good!!

Chookie - Really nice.  I cooked them in the AF.  Made them in 2  different ways.  First lot I rolled in Panko crumbs, the second lot cooked plain. The ones in crumbs took 8 minutes longer to cook, (15 mins / 180, flip 8 mins/180). These were also sprayed with Rice Bran oil.
The natural ones, no oil, 8 mins/ 180, flip 7 mins/ 180.
Both lots were cooked in a stainless steel dish. 
With crumbs and oil spray, 23 minutes in AF. Served over rice and with Honey Mustard sauce.

Cally83 - just wanted to say how much my husband and I liked them. I swapped corn for mushrooms.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:24:12 pm by judydawn »
:D

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Re: Golden Chicken Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:43:28 pm »
Thanks very much for this recipe, astarra. I made it tonight using leftover corn couscous instead of the corn, and thighs instead of the breast, but still yummy and much appreciated.

Why don't you put it into the Babies and Toddlers competition at the Recipe Community?  Might win yourself an extra bowl and blade set.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »
thanks astarra,i have added this to my baby folder  :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:32:44 am »
Thanks very much for this recipe, astarra. I made it tonight using leftover corn couscous instead of the corn, and thighs instead of the breast, but still yummy and much appreciated.

Why don't you put it into the Babies and Toddlers competition at the Recipe Community?  Might win yourself an extra bowl and blade set.

Thanks for trying this cecilia... was thinking it was no good for anyone else (tho my kids - and us- love them) now you are suggesting I enter it in... will give it a try, got nothing to lose!!! Thanks for letting me know about it! :)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:30:15 am »
You are very welcome, astarra.   The leftover nuggets are in the freezer, ready for DGS's next visit.  We're lucky there were leftovers, actually, as DH and I really loved them!!  Good luck in the competition.  PM me if you can't find where to put your entry in.  :)
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:45 am »
Made these for dinner last night with a side salad :)
Mixture was too runny to form ball shapes, so I just spooned dessertspoon servings on a lined tray and they cooked well!
Thank you :)
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:56:23 am »
Thanks for the photo Julia - it always helps sell a recipe  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cooking Mad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:19:34 am »
Love this idea :) thanks

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:42:04 am »
Might try these soon, that photo looks great Julia :D I'm sure they're not just for kids ;)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:13:04 am »
Nope, not just for kids Amy - hope you enjoy them!

And thanx for the review and photo, Julia.  :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:56:07 am »
will try this for the kids
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:17:58 am »
Tried these and loved them. Really easy and great that I don't need breadcrumbs or oil. Thanks Astarra these will be a regular from now on.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 05:41:17 am »
I just went to the effort of converting the turkey balls from the latest P.Parenting mag...to find it is identical to this one but uses turkey instead of chicken.  :-)) :-)) :-))
With the turkey tho, we found they needed salt and pepper.  ???

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 05:45:33 am »
Thats funny astarra :-)) ;D

This is on my menu plan for next week, I can't wait for them! I'm hoping they will be like the chicken nuggets I used to have when I was little :D

Maybe you could just modify the recipe to say chicken or turkey? :)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 10:46:24 pm »
Posting my review because I finally made these last night :D

Yum yum yum!! I loved them!! I could have eaten the whole lot with a nice puddle of tomato sauce ;D
But I was healthy and served them with salad :-))

Mine must have been a little bigger because I only made about 30. But that was okay because we're not little kids so we have bigger mouths to fit them in ;D

Thanks for the recipe astarra :-* These will be a regular here!