Author Topic: Baked Lemon and Sesame Tofu "steaks"  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Baked Lemon and Sesame Tofu "steaks"
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:48:39 pm »
This tastes great hot, but is even better served cold either in a sandwich or as part of a snack meal.

500 g firm tofu
1/2 cup hulled tahini
1 tbs wholegrain mustard
3 tbs lemon juice
Finely grated zest of one lemon
2 tbs finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tbs brown rice syrup
2 tbs brown rice vinegar
1 tbs shoyu
3 tbs roasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 170 c.

Cut the tofu into eight rectangular slices, about 1 cm thick.  Pat dry with paper towel  to remove any excess moisture.

Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix to a pourable consistency, adding a little water if it's too thick.

Lightly oil a shallow baking dish and place the tofu in the base.  Pour over the lemon and sesame mixture making sure the tofu is completely coated in the sauce.

Bake for 10 minutes or until the sauce has firmed up and is golden.

Carefully remove and eat immediately or refrigerate for tomorrow's lunch.

This recipe is taken from Tony Chiodo's wonderful book, Feel Good Food - Wholefood recipes for happy, healthy living.

I usually cut the tofu steaks into six or eight as opposed to having the whole steak because this makes the recipe go further - with the steaks you tend to eat one whole one each time, whereas if they are in smaller chunks you don't eat so much at each sitting.  One of the things I like most about this recipe is its 'crunchiness' from the sesame seeds and mustard grains - I find their texture really appealing.

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Baked Lemon and Sesame Tofu "steaks"
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:42 pm »
Thanks Marina,  I will give this a try.  Love Tony's book.