Author Topic: Mango Icecream  (Read 18517 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Mango Icecream
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:56:37 am »
Just came up with a mango Icecream recipe as I had a surplus of mangoes to use up. Apologies if this is similar to any other recipes on the forum! It ends up tasting like one of the mango Weis bars for those of you familiar with this brand.
Ingredients

Flesh of 3 ripe mangoes
200 ml thickened cream
200 ml evaporated milk ( I used light- don't ask me why considering the amount of cream!)
1/2 cup castor sugar
Juice of 1 lemon

method
Put everything in TM (butterfly attached). Speed 4 for 1-2 minutes then in the freezer or Icecream maker until set. Delicious!

Members' comments
Cookie1 - I made this yesterday afternoon. I added 2 tablespoons mango vodka to it to stop it setting too hard. OMG. I licked the bowl, the ice-cream beater and then had a couple more spoonsful. It is bright orange and delicious. I didn't have any evaporated  milk so used all cream.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:15:12 am by judydawn »
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Mango Icecream
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:06:43 am »
thanks merlin there is a recipe on here http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4913.0

your one looks easier and faster

i wonder what 3 mangos would weigh  :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Montoya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:10:09 am »
Thanks Merlin. Does the ice cream go icy after freezing it? I would like to make this for tomorrow night's dinner.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:17:08 am »
With the amount of cream and milk in there it seems to get to the consistency of  store bought Icecream without the ice crystals. Whenever I make it I never get a chance to keep leftovers in the freezer as it always gets gobbled up- this doesn't include the usual tasting as you go technique which is always crucial with desserts! Therefore I don't know how well it would keep in the freezer. With my Icecream maker I just make a batch with friends around as it only seems to take 45 minutes or so.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:07:59 am »
I add a spoonful or two of mango vodka to mine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Montoya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 01:11:09 am »
Ok...so is it worth getting an ice cream maker if you have a THX???

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:48:04 am »
I was given one for Xmas and the kids reckon it was the best present ever!  I have this recipe on my list to try in the next day or so. We are trying a different one each night but I do halve or reduce the recipes.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:27:02 am »
Montoya I pondered that question for 15mths after purchasing thermie and finally bought the Cuisinart compressor model late October - the best thing for icecream - I don't have the freezer space for storage of extra bowls so needed the compressor model.  On special for $370 at Kitchenware direct.  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:52:27 am »
If you eat icecream regularly they are a good purchase. If I make a custard icecream I whip it up in the TMX, cool it overnight and then use the icecream machine the next day.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Montoya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 10:17:16 pm »
Montoya I pondered that question for 15mths after purchasing thermie and finally bought the Cuisinart compressor model late October - the best thing for icecream - I don't have the freezer space for storage of extra bowls so needed the compressor model.  On special for $370 at Kitchenware direct.  :)  :)
Yes I don't have ANY room in my freezer. I can't afford it right now but will consider it for the future. That seems like a good price Johnro!

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:18 pm »
Ok...so is it worth getting an ice cream maker if you have a THX???

Yes definitely!!

I have had a Breville scoop factory for years, I am finding I use it even more now I have a TMX as the custard method ice creams are so much easier to make in the TMX.

Sharon
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »
Oh and I can't wait to try this mango ice-cream  ;D
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 11:02:10 pm »
To test the water, I bought an ice-cream machine from Aldi for $20.  :P  I figured I could live with spending that if I didn't end up using it.  I make DF icecream all the time, so was interested to see if it was worth getting one, since having the thermomix.  In saying that, although it was cheap, it has been going great guns for months and I use it all the time.  I just churned a pina colada one this morning.  Yummo!  :o
Squirrel

There are no super foods .... only super lifestyles..... ;D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 11:06:12 pm »
squirrel which recipe do u use for your DF ice cream? i use the one from the liddells site
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 11:18:58 pm »
Fundj... I have a few recipes that I have found around the place and tinkered with.  Basically I use coconut milk, with raw honey or agave or maple syrup, thickened with a little tapioca flour.  I add vanilla bean or extract & dark choc chips etc to change it up.   I'll have to post some DF ice-cream recipes here.  My pina colada one, is a smash up in the thermomix of coconut milk, fresh pineapple & raw honey.   :)  I'll have to check out the site you mentioned.  Thanks
Squirrel

There are no super foods .... only super lifestyles..... ;D