Author Topic: Converting recipes in other languages.  (Read 7009 times)

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
Converting recipes in other languages.
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:34:42 pm »
I know i have said this elsewhere, so sorry for repeating myself BUT....

For those of you who dont speak a language other than english, you can use google translate to read other forums in english.
I have found the spanish and portugese translations to be very accurate. The german and italian ones are also good but sometimes you just need to take an educated guess. These seem to be the most common languages for other TM recipes so if you are not sure just try each one and it will eventually come up with something you can understand.

Google translate link is below. Just copy and paste the website into it and then select the language ie spanish ---> english.
I use a lot!
If you are looking for other forums I have some links on my website www.thermotalk.webs.com

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en#

Happy recipe hunting!
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Converting recipes in other languages.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:52:42 am »
Thanks Sheree, I can confirm that the translator works fairly well for recipes.  You sometimes need to have an idea of what they might be doing for the weird translations.

My biggest problem is working out what the heading is on the forums to be able to see if it is a recipe. and what it is likely to be about.  The Germans are the hardest for me.

MrSpock's idea about putting up contents from other language books is great - then you get some idea of what is available.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:23:45 am »
Yes it is a good idea to put up contents and recipes from other books. However it concerns me a little as that is exactly what conciar con thermomix forum was like and is now shut down. From Vorwerks prospective I can understand that they would have a problem with this due to copyright etc. They take the time to put these books together to sell to customers so would be justifiably upset if they were to find these recipes posted. It defets the purpose of publishing the books.
I like the fact that this forum is made up of mostly unique recipes which have been created or converted by US!! Yah!!  :) :)
While it is great to have the recipes from cookbooks posted, I tend to steer away and take caution.
Sheree
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:40:09 am »
.... However it concerns me a little as that is exactly what conciar con thermomix forum was like and is now shut down. ...

There were other reasons and not to do with Vorwerk.

I think that it is not a big part of their income stream, and if the recipes are more readily available and more people try and recommend the recipes and, subsequently the machine, then they would make more money ??

How do you manage to promote TMX in SA??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:33:52 am »
Had to laugh - found this that I downloaded from a french site and translated with the Google translator - the red bits are funny !

"Hello, here is the recipe for onion soup

ingredients:
2 to 3 onions means
1 C. domed tablespoons flour
2 C. tablespoons of duck fat or butter
1 litre of water
1 cube of chicken broth
80 gr gruyère
4 to 6 slices of stale bread
salt and pepper

Add the Swiss cheese, cut into pieces in the bowl and mix 6 sec./vit.7. Book
Put fat in the bowl and settle mn/90 ° 1 / vit.1
Cut two peeled onions, put them in the bowl and mix 5 sec / she lives. 8.
Cook 3 mn/100 ° / vit.1
Add flour and mix 10 sec/vit.4
Add water and bouillon cube émiétté and resolve mn/100 ° 25 / vit.1
Preheat oven to grill mode
Arrange slices of stale bread in a bowl
When stopped the timer, filter preparation or not depending on preference and pour over bread. Sprinkle with grated cheese and gratiner under the grill of the oven a few minutes watching colour. Serve hot"

Glad to see that SHE LIVES !!
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:36:16 am »
We rely on recommendations like most people and as i live in a rural community word has spread and people are starting to know about it more.
Im 3.5hrs from Adelaide so work independant of the rest of the SA team most of the time. It makes cooking classes hard work as I do everything myself but enjoy them. I promote cooking classes as a come and try session. My customers all bring their machines and we make the dishes together so that those who dont have a machine get to try.

In Adelaide they go to the farmers market regularly and expos etc. We have a farmers market up here and I have been invited to do cooking demos there several times but Im not allowed to attend every week as to be a stall holder you have to be selling locally grown and made, in season produce. It was easy in summer as i could sell sorbet buying the fruit from the market in the morning. This time of year is harder!

We have the Feild days comming up so might get a site at that but the last feild days cost me nearly $1000 out of my pocket as head office didnt cover any of the costs. Makes it hard to justify!

LOL - found a few funny ones like that!

I always promote the cookbooks to customers and use the cooking classes to give a sample of the recipes. And tell them about the forum! But the recipes are not the only focus of promotion as there are many other other benifits, most which are more appealing and a greater reason to purchase. But it all adds up and makes a difference.
Sheree
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:29:03 am »
Ta - the country grapevine is good, but the demos must be very hard work.

Shame that they don't support your presence at field days - the audience will not be just your territory.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:37:13 am »
Im not allowed to attend every week as to be a stall holder you have to be selling locally grown and made, in season produce. It was easy in summer as i could sell sorbet buying the fruit from the market in the morning. This time of year is harder!
what about some lovely warming soups? pumpkin, potato and leek, tomato etc
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:51:17 pm »
From Vorwerks prospective I can understand that they would have a problem with this due to copyright etc. They take the time to put these books together to sell to customers so would be justifiably upset if they were to find these recipes posted. It defeats the purpose of publishing the books.

Valid point of course. However, someone who only speak English will never buy a German cookbook, so I don't feel we're hurting Vorwerks' revenues too much in translating a few local recipes. Also for us in America where the Thermomix has not yet taken off, it's nearly impossible to get any cookbooks, unless we're ready to pay ridiculous amounts of money in shipping fees from Australia. After paying enough money to buy a good used car for my TMX, I don't feel too guilty about grabbing a few recipes off the Net. But I agree: recipes from forum users are usually much better anyways  ;)

I think that it is not a big part of their income stream, and if the recipes are more readily available and more people try and recommend the recipes and, subsequently the machine, then they would make more money ??

Exactly!
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof