Author Topic: My Shepherds Pie  (Read 47788 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
My Shepherds Pie
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:46:05 am »
My Shepherds Pie
Feeds a lot

Ingredients:

Premade 1 x Quantity Mashed Potatoes (recipe EDC set aside in Thermoserver)

500 g lamb, diced 8-15 secs, Speed 7 or Turbo as you like (set aside)

50 – 100 g Tasty or Parmesan Cheese, cubed & grated 10 secs, Speed 9 (set aside) OR about 50g melted butter to brush Potato Mixture with.

Meat Base:
1 brown onion, quartered
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
2 table spoon Plain Flour
1 heaped tablespoon TM Vegetable concentrate
150-200ml water
1 dried bay leaf
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
dollop Fruit Chutney*
bit of chopped spinach*
sliced mushrooms*
peas*
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

*Options:  I have put in what I like, but you may wish to substitute or consider the next time you make this, or if you have enough room in the TM:
bbq sauce, mushrooms, peas, gravy powder, mushrooms, grated cheese, rosemary, vegemite, mustard, diced bacon, diced zucchini, chopped parsley, cauliflowerettes, chopped red capsicum

Method:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Grease/Line a 2 litre (8 cup) capacity baking dish.
(I use a medium lasagne dish lined with Glad Bake)

Meat Base:
Add onion, carrot and celery to TM and chop 3 seconds  on Speed 5
Add lamb for 5 mins on Speed 1, Reverse at 100 degrees until lamb changes colour.
Add flour 2 mins on 100 degrees on Speed 1  until combined
Add TM Veg concentrate, water, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, silver beet, fruit chutney and *Options. Cook MC off, 20 mins  on 100 degrees, Reverse, Speed Soft. Season with salt and pepper.

1.   Place Meat base in prepared baking dish
2.   Top with Mashed Potato Mixture using a fork. Sprinkle cheese and or brush with butter.
3.   Bake in oven 20 minutes or until mashed potato is golden brown, serve immediately
4.   Make this recipe your own, and note your preferences. It really is a winner!

(I would like some feedback on the amount of water. When cooking on the stove I use 250ml, however this made the recipe so runny that when I put the mashed potato on top it started to sink, so I have adjusted it down)

members' comments

CC - I like your recipe CreamPuff for Shepherds Pie although I tend to use beef instead of lamb and use a plain mashed potato topping. Made it for the SIL's when they were visiting and they thoroughly enjoyed it. I also cheated and used a throw away foil tray so I didn't have extra washing up, so I could spend more time with them. Thank you.

Frozzie - I liked it cp... I would probably put some chilli in it though as that's what I like but then not really shepherds pie. Kids loved it.

inskiwinski - I loved this recipe! I tried it for the first time and it came out well to my surprise. I was a little worried that it was going to be too runny but it was just nice and moist by the time it came out of the oven. I also made mine with a 1/3 sweet potato, 2/3 potato top and put them in a crust to cook which turned out rather nicely.  I also tried some zucchini chutney instead of the fruit chutney. 

evepantany - it was fantastic, it was a winner......and there's enough left over for tomorrow night. This will definitely be a regular on our menu.

LouLouB - I usually don't like mince cooked in the TM but this was lovely! Thanks for sharing.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:19:48 am by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My Shepherds Pie
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 03:50:58 am »
Never thought to line a casserole dish with baking paper - would certainly make washing up easier. Sounds good CP63 - we love shepherds pie in this house and the little grand-children woof it down whenever I make it for them. Will have to give your more elaborate version a go in the future.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 03:57:04 am »
I'm the Baking Paper Queen  ;D ;D ;D  wanted to edit the speed, times and temperatures in Bold so its easier to see as you are cooking, but the cursor kept running away for some reason or it would highlight everything in a flash  :-)) he-lllpp!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 04:09:41 am »
I'm the Baking Paper Queen  ;D ;D ;D  wanted to edit the speed, times and temperatures in Bold so its easier to see as you are cooking, but the cursor kept running away for some reason or it would highlight everything in a flash  :-)) he-lllpp!

Done? - mine does the same on my laptop - not sure why - drives me crazy  >:(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 04:12:51 am »
Yes, I've given up trying to highlight certain instructions - the whole lot gets highlighted  >:( >:(  It is easier to follow a recipe though when these bits are highlighted. 

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:32:31 pm »
I agree, you can scan the recipe and get the important bits lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »
Just double click the word you want in bold and it will be selected then you can press Ctrl B to put it in bold. I usually put the times and temp in Red.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 12:24:46 am »

Done? - mine does the same on my laptop - not sure why - drives me crazy  >:(

Mine used to as well before I shut off the keypad on my netbook, (I use a mouse).  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 01:02:59 am »
Thanks for that Sjharrop - it didn't work for me so I highlighted the word I wanted then clicked on the B for bold button.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 02:19:06 am »
Doesn't work for me in the Message Posting section  - just brings up Organize Favorites !!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 08:56:24 am »
I was talking about when editing for printing in MS Word - this little program you can highlight by doubleclick then click on the B button - I like to do the recipes in Word and then just paste them here!
Shayla

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 10:29:05 am »
I was talking about when editing for printing in MS Word - this little program you can highlight by doubleclick then click on the B button - I like to do the recipes in Word and then just paste them here!
Shayla

Me too - so much easier that way
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 03:02:02 pm »
I like your recipe CreamPuff for Shepherds Pie although I tend to use beef instead of lamb and use a plain mashed potato topping. Made it for the SIL's when they were visiting and they thoroughly enjoyed it.I also cheated and used a throw away foil tray so I didn't have extra washing up, so I could spend more time with them.Thank you. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 01:58:14 am »
oh, thats so nice CC to hear that people on the other side of the world are enjoying it  ;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 07:02:39 am »
I am cooking this tonight... With beef though... Will post once cooked :)

Ready and waiting to be cooked 😊

Et voila!!

Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/