Author Topic: New Model Thermomix, truth or rumour?  (Read 370965 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: New Model Thermomix, truth or rumour?
« Reply #525 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:44 am »
I'm not selling mine, I would much rather give it to my daughter for when she leaves home. :). Or use both until then ;)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #526 on: September 07, 2014, 06:53:03 am »
Spent 2 hours with TMX 5. These are my observations,  but remember I am just a cook not a technical wiz.  
Basically this is what I found when testing against  TMX 31.
To run it through its paces we made the same recipe in both machines for Cashew nut Mayo and Carrot and Lentil soup.
For the Mayo,  the TMX 5 was slightly more creamy.
With the carrot soup, both the same.

The noise level was the same.

Then made pavlova using the TMX 5.  The new butterfly does a better job than the butterfly for the TMX 31. It is still in the oven so can't report on finished result,  but the mixture was thicker. You cannot fit the new butterfly in the 31.

Then we made custard using the Automatic programme.  This programme is only for custard, yoghurt and rice.
The custard has 3 options, thin, normal and thick.  As well you can select for 3/4  or 6/8 serves.   We made normal but it was what I would call thick.   This was because it was difficult to measure the cornflour.  

Photos will follow for the above dishes.

The chip contains all the recipes that are on the book that is included.  I liked the book.  Each recipe has a photo and it is a good size. That is large.   Yes,  more chips will follow.
Other information.  
Higher temp, to 120 then Varoma
Blade not moving while cooking, yes.
Varoma from 31 will fit 5
Will be able to buy 2 bowl.
It is more stable than 31 and easier to shift.
Has big air panel at back which is cockroach proof

I found it easy to use.  The lid is just pushed down in place. The machine won't start if it is not in place.
The touch screen is easy to use even for a non computer literate person like me.
It is larger and a bit heavier.  The extra space in the bowl is not significant.
The weight measurements are in 5 grams.

$50 more in cost until 31 October.  Don't know how much more after that.  

Conclusion.
If your 31 is working well you should be happy with it. There is not a significant difference. Most recipes will suit both machines.
If you like the latest phones, cars etc then you will love the extras on this.
My machine is nearly 5 years old but is working well.  I have 2 bowls and couldn't manage with just one,  this would be an additional cost if I buy the new model.
I do like the look of the new one.

I have probably left a lot out but this is the best I can do at the moment.  

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #527 on: September 07, 2014, 06:58:11 am »

Touch screen

Cup

2 lots of Mayo

Pav in bowl

Automatic programme in progress

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 07, 2014, 07:10:11 am »
Brilliant review, Chookie! 👏👏👏

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 07, 2014, 07:17:47 am »
Thanks for passing on your observations achookwoman. If the noise level was the same or not enough difference to notice then I might stick with my TM31. The noise level would be the major reason I would upgrade, but for me personally I'd want there to be a significant difference to warrant selling my TM31 + extra bowl and fork out the extra cash for the TM5 + extra bowl. I'd be approx $1000-$1500 out of pocket and aside from the glitzy new look of the TM5, there really aren't any new features that I would use enough. The new butterfly sounds good, but I have a Kitchenaid mixer that I use for Pav's etc.

Offline ltcook

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 07, 2014, 07:25:38 am »
Can i ask a question about others Tm31.
I got mine 3 weeks ago and do feel very cranky we paid full price when they are now $300 cheaper.Sad
But can someone do a test for me with their machine.
Can you put on the timer first and then push the veroma button. Does the inside LCD screen move in when pushed?
Mine does and want to know if its normal or not. I have my consultant coming over next week to have a look but want to see if others do it. It mooves when you push the scales button also but not as much as the varoma.
TIA

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 07, 2014, 08:27:11 am »
my thoughts--- it is still going to produce the same food at the end of the day
consultants saying they didnt know yet so many have already taken delivery of their machines this weekend, thats a pretty damn quick turnaround considering they are being distributed from Perth - they have to have been at head office well before Friday!  and if they are being sent out to them already money has to have changed hands??  who could come up with $2k just like that?  or are they being given them on a get one sell 5 or return basis

noise - really - its not that noisy! if a new one hadnt come out would you just have put up with the noise or sent it back saying you cant handle the noise?

thermomix havent done themselves many favours this weekend in terms of peeing people off but at the end of the day they wont care the will just keep on making money regardless of what people say

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 07, 2014, 09:14:18 am »
Can i ask a question about others Tm31.
I got mine 3 weeks ago and do feel very cranky we paid full price when they are now $300 cheaper.Sad
But can someone do a test for me with their machine.
Can you put on the timer first and then push the veroma button. Does the inside LCD screen move in when pushed?
Mine does and want to know if its normal or not. I have my consultant coming over next week to have a look but want to see if others do it. It mooves when you push the scales button also but not as much as the varoma.
TIA
I've just tested mine and mine moves a little.I have never noticed this before  :-))  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:46:04 am by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 07, 2014, 09:52:25 am »
Thanks for the review and photos Chookie.
It will be interesting your review on the finished Pavlova.  ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline turando

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 07, 2014, 10:28:04 am »
Thankyou for the review :)

Someone said that you can't turn the blade off during manual cooking. It only works in auto mode. Is that correct? Because that would really annoy me now. The blade off feature is the one feature I was really excited about.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 07, 2014, 10:40:12 am »
Itcook, I've just tested mine and nothing moves - well, not that I could see and I did it twice.

Thanks for the review Chookie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline turando

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 07, 2014, 10:46:18 am »
I thought of selling my TM31 now since I'll have the TM5 but decided after seeing the market flooded and prices being low that I'd be better off keeping it as a second one lol. I will never be able to afford two thermomixes again but I have earned them through sales both of them (well hopefully i will for this one too) so might as well keep it and enjoy it!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 07, 2014, 10:50:14 am »
Good to see the MC actually has a measure on it. Great review chookie, thorough as always  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline pippa

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53:38 am »
I have thought about the whole consultant selling to people when they knew the next model was about to come out.  Why would they sell the old model to you in a hurry when they need 3-5 sales (I haven't seen anyone sure about how many yet!)o f the new model to re-sign as a consultant.? Why not hold your sale off and have a guaranteed sale when they need one?  I think most, if not all consultants would have sold the 31 genuinely not knowing the 5 was imminent.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 07, 2014, 11:04:13 am »
Thanks Chookie for a great review.