Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 512755 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1125 on: October 09, 2013, 10:14:47 pm »
Ther is a new Bridget  Jones book about to be released here. Mad About The Boy by Helen  Fielding.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 10, 2013, 02:05:21 am »
Am trying to get to the end of Mr Penumbras 24 hour bookshop. Its an ok read, but am finding it a bit "geeky" for me and I want to read something else. The best book of Tim Winton's for me was "Dirt Music", and "Breathe" was alright as well.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1127 on: October 10, 2013, 02:14:36 am »
Gert, in Berendt's intro, he states that people think it is fiction but it is actually based on real people and in fact, with their permission, he managed to use their real names as well (in a majority of cases). He has a good writing style. He seems to have spent 8 years on and off in Savannah and the book is based on his experiences and encounters during that time.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 10, 2013, 02:47:42 am »
DD loved the new Tim Winton Gert. She said it has a lot of 'digs' at things happening in WA and the rest of Australia.
I didn't enjoy 'Breathe' that much CP. I enjoyed Dirt Music and adored Cloudstreet. I think I will enjoy this from what DD has said.
There have been a lot of spoilers around for the Bridget Jones book.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 10, 2013, 05:42:54 am »
Gert, in Berendt's intro, he states that people think it is fiction but it is actually based on real people and in fact, with their permission, he managed to use their real names as well (in a majority of cases). He has a good writing style. He seems to have spent 8 years on and off in Savannah and the book is based on his experiences and encounters during that time.

Yes of course you are right Courton.  Some consider it a non fiction novel come memoir of Berendts . Most of it fact but some completely fabricated and that is why it is still so popular  and attracts new readers  frequently. Just after the movie came out I Re read it and still enjoyed it.  Now you have mentioned I I may even read it again well maybe I had better put it on my wish list until I sort of catch up though that probably won't happen in the near future!!

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1130 on: October 10, 2013, 09:04:20 am »
I've been reading tons, but mostly rubbish - pleasantly distracting murder mysteries and infuriatingly poorly written contemporary fiction. If any of you come across a book called "Tomorrow There Will Be Apricots", don't waste your time. The title is the best part about it.
The list of my latest reads is here -
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2981443?shelf=read

I'm going to give "The Rosie Project" a try next - I'm told it's great. I hope so.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:31 am »
Thanks to everyone on this thread  :-* I came here looking for inspiration for books to take on a long-haul overseas flight tomorrow evening, and have a list of several now, and have a trip to the bookshop planned for tomorrow. 
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 10, 2013, 09:10:51 am »
Safe trip Karen :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

mcmich

« Reply #1133 on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:51 am »
I don't know how you young mums do it flying all over the world with high powered jobs?

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: October 10, 2013, 09:16:10 am »
I am exceptionally lucky that DH is a full-time stay-at home dad and is more than capable of taking care of the kids while I am gone.  Otherwise there is no way that I could do my job.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 10, 2013, 09:39:08 am »
Have a great trip Karen,

mcmich

« Reply #1136 on: October 10, 2013, 09:49:30 am »
You have a wonderful trip Karen - hope you have leisure time too.  :)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #1137 on: October 10, 2013, 10:27:08 am »
Have a great trip Karen!
We'll catch up when you get back.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 10, 2013, 12:08:26 pm »
Have a great trip Karen. Enjoy the few days of personal time.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 13, 2013, 11:51:03 am »
I am reading The Master Butchers Singing Club. I can't remember why I bought it and wonder if it was someone here who recommended it. If so thank you. I cannot put it down.

Gert