Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507561 times)

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #915 on: April 14, 2013, 10:36:24 pm »
Need to buy a book tomorrow as going on a boring work trip with male colleague so will want to escape with a book, will have a quick look on this-post for some inspiration. Has anyone read Jodi Piccoults latest??

I read it last month GHM and I enjoyed it . I love Jodi Piccoults style of writing  and The Storyteller didn't disappoint.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 15, 2013, 12:00:40 am »
Sounds like I'll have to read the Storyteller too.
I'm really struggling with my book club book- The Coffee Trader. I'm finding it tedious, and for the first time ever, I am considering not finishing it, and I know that some of the others in the group are having trouble too.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #917 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:08 am »
Oh gawd, somebody stop me!!
I just accidentally wandered over to Amazon and before I knew it I had bought 3 new books on the Kindle - to add to the 10 waiting there that I have yet to read.  And that doesn't count the 6 books that are beside my bed and the 2 in the post.
At this rate I will have to give up all domestic duties, cooking, writing, parenting and any social life I may have just to get on top of all these books!   :o :o
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 15, 2013, 12:38:14 am »
Something must be wrong with us to keep downloading, buying and stacking up books to read. It is like an addiction. It is not a if the books won't still be there when we have time. My wish list on Amazon keeps growing and I have such a backlog on my Kindle. When you don't hear from me I am holed up reading as fast as I can. I doubt I can read all my books I my lifetime!

You are right Amanda , I must stop but as I was about to start one book I was told of another and so it goes. LOL!

Anyway Amanda you don't have much time what with all your recent eating out. How about next year you organise a tour during the food fest. I will book two seats now!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 15, 2013, 01:30:31 am »
I know the feeling  ;D
I come on this thread and before I know it another few books are on my long long kindle collection.
Oh well it's a far healthier addiction than many others  ;)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 15, 2013, 03:54:29 am »
yes and unlike a lot of addictions its easy to hide the books on the kindle
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 15, 2013, 08:32:30 am »
I have the same addiction ladies. I see one I think I would like so download it. I must have 50-60 on the ereader and at least 100 waiting to be read. A lot of those DD has sent to her to review before they are available to the public. I don't mind. I always think if I ever get sick or break a leg then I have enough reading material to get me through, that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #922 on: April 15, 2013, 09:00:51 am »

A very clean addiction. You don't have to mop up and it's self hidden. No need for the closet.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:39 am »
I really cannot admit to how many books I have on my Kindle, there are quite a few :D ;D  :D ;D   I'm not sure how many it holds.
I have read some wonderful books recommended on this thread and have put several on hold at the local library. 

Marie

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 15, 2013, 10:36:51 am »

My sentiments exactly  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 15, 2013, 02:06:56 pm »
I have just started reading The Rosie Project and am laughing out loud already. It reminded me of an author I read more than 30 years ago, Samuel Shem and his novel The House of God.  I was forced to  go to Amazon and download   Mount Misery by Shem.  I then thought i might as well download The House  of God  on Kindle  even though I still have the paperback. One of the few books I have kept  because it had some meaning  for me. Absolutely hilarious.

And so it goes. One book leads to another. 

If there are any nurses and doctors out there who,have not read The House of God I  would be very surprised.

gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 16, 2013, 05:51:36 am »
DD loved this Gert. She gave it a 10/10 on her blog review. I don't think she does that too often. I haven't read it yet, I must grab her copy.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #927 on: April 16, 2013, 11:06:53 pm »
Nearly finished The Secret Keeper. It's my second Kate Morton book and am loving it.  Will get into Six Years  after this.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

jakodai

« Reply #928 on: April 18, 2013, 01:02:01 pm »
have often thought of joining a bookclub but I like to be able to choose the subject matter to a certain degree. I detest anything to do with war and having to know the backgrounds of wars. I'm also not into chick lit but more than likely book clubs wouldn't be either. Then, if I joined a bookclub and had to read their book maybe I wouldn't have time to read my own novels. What's others experience of bookclubs? Maybe I'll just join one to be sociable

That's why I joined one, I'm not very good in social situations, I find it hard to find things to talk about, but I'm hoping that with a book club I'll already have a starting points as we'd all have read the same book.

Most book clubs do have a genre - I think books are a very personal choice and it would be very hard to have a book club with a very broad range. Most people would get bored while a few would be happy. Also, the book club that I've joined meets once a month, so I think that would still give me a chance to read the books that I want to read. I read a book a week on average, so I think it's a good balance - 1 of theirs, 3 of mine. :-D  I'm also reading a book at the moment that I wouldn't normally have picked myself, and I'm enjoying it. The same for next month's book - it's not what I would have picked, but it does look interesting.

The Storyteller? That one is high on my list. It has some good reviews

Not yet, but it's on my list as well. I'm a big fan of hers. She has a style of writing that you either love or hate. My mum couldn't finish My Sister's Keeper because of the writing style, she couldn't follow it. I enjoy it and find that it actually keeps me thinking. I also like seeing different aspects of the story through 'other peoples' eyes.

I agree with the ebooks piling up, I currently have over 40 books in iTunes that need to be read, and that didn't stop me from buying another one last night. I also have a lot more on my 'to read' list as well.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 19, 2013, 05:16:23 am »
While we all have these books on the TBR pile we will never be bored. As if there was ever any possibility of that.