Author Topic: Recipe review - Hot cross buns EDC - with photos :)  (Read 103773 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Recipe review - Hot cross buns EDC - with photos :)
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 12:50:13 pm »
Loving this thread - thank you.  So basically, there isn't much you would change to the EDC recipe? 
Some of the changes are personal preference eg we don't like peel so use all sultanas.  Definitely try 4tsp of yeast and the hints about the crosses.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2010, 05:21:52 am »
I made them today, and was really happy with the result.

I almost hesitated putting the ground cloves in though, as I use clove oil to clean my shower!
Glad I left it in though  ;)
I chose to use all sultana's as well, with no peel.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2010, 05:33:27 am »
Wow  :o I go awol for a few weeks and look at you all go  ;D well done i am having a bit of a HCB craving today so looks like Stephanie might be put to work soon  8)

Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2010, 06:48:47 am »
Cute bowl - guess it's for Easter eggs Maddy ?  The buns are pretty good too ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 07:50:45 am »
I've just been reading through all these reviews and I think it is time I made some. It is interesting to read that so many people leave out the peel. I will be too as we're not very fond of it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:16 am »
Cute bowl - guess it's for Easter eggs Maddy ?  The buns are pretty good too ;)

Thanks Thermomixer......the bunny bowl is years old, and yes, the Easter Bunny does like to make a deposit in it   :D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 08:48:28 am »
The bought peel is horrid,  and I wouldn't put it in either,,  but home made peel is another taste altogether.   It is worth trying,  and very easy to make in the TMX.

Maddy what beautiful buns,  and I'll bet they taste yummy.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 09:22:16 am »
I've just been reading through all these reviews and I think it is time I made some. It is interesting to read that so many people leave out the peel. I will be too as we're not very fond of it.

We aren't fans of peel either.  One Easter I accidentally bought hot cross buns with extra peel.  We couldn't eat them and my DH will never let me live it down.  This year of course there will be home-made buns without peel.  ;D

Offline Twicket

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 10:12:27 am »
Only just got my Thermomix delivered today.  Am super excited and wasn't sure what to make first.

I have just made my first batch of Hot Cross Buns.  I did make a few changes however.  I left out the citrus peel as not a fan and added Choc chips instead of the raisins.  Just to make it more healthy!!!!!!  Ok so now I have to wait an hour for it to rise b4 I continue and get them into the oven.  Will let you all know how I go and will try and take a pic.  Fingers crossed they turn out.  What normally would take half an hour or more took me less than 10 minutes.....AMAZING!!! 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 10:58:26 am »
The good thing about Hot Cross Buns is once you have the basic sweet dough worked out,  you can add what the family likes.  I know cooks who replace the traditional fruit with apricots.  Next week,  2 friends are coming over and we are cooking buns for an elderly citz. lunch.   We are going to make some buns with NO fruit.  I see in the posts that someone made eggless buns.  Good idea,  then those who can't tolerate eggs don't miss out.    For something different,  a plait,  same mixture,  and iced,  or a Boston Bun.   I wonder how a Easter rabbit would look made from the sweet dough?   What fun yeast cooking is. ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 11:05:53 am »
We are not lovers of peel here either but I zested an orange and added it to the hot cross buns I made - it wasn't obvious it was in there but it had to add some flavour I would think.  DH doesn't like sultanas or peel so one year I bought him fruitless hot cross buns - fruitless and tasteless I might add.  Tonight I gave him his first taste of my batch, just half of one and he said it was very nice.

Chookie, funny that you should mention fruitless ones - your posting came through as I was typing mine so I have to say that I'm sure your home made buns won't be tasteless at all  ;) ;) Sounds like you are going to have fun with the ladies next week with your bun making.  Only 1 TMX going to be there?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Twicket

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 12:03:02 pm »
Well here is my first ever recipe made using my new thermomix and I am SUPER DOOPER Happy with the outcome and how easy it was! 
HOT CROSS BUNS With Choc chips!!   :o ;D
Thought I had better take a snap before they disappear!

Def going to try and use the dried apricots next time and the orange zest. 
Thanks for your posts  YUMMO!

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2010, 12:05:46 pm »
Great job Maddy and Twicket!!

;D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2010, 12:24:27 pm »
Twicket, I must say you are a very adventurous girl!   Tackling hot cross buns for your first ever run is wonderful.
I was still a little overwhelmed when mine arrived, and only managed a dip  ;)

They look terrific.....how many grams of choc chips did you use?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Twicket

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2010, 04:37:46 am »
Thanks Ceejay & Maddy!

I had a lot of fun making them and Hubby ate 5 in one sitting!  So I am guessing they turned out ok.   :-))
Maddy I pretty much replaced the citrus peel & raisins with the choc chips.  90-100 gms.
I found that they only took about 12 minutes in the oven as the recipe said 10-15 min and I could see they were darkening very quickly so removed them.  I was scared that they would be cooked on the outside and not inside but they worked out fine.  Better than the ones you buy in the supermarket that's for sure and NO Preservatives which I love!!!