Author Topic: Identity fraud: warning: dont get caught like me!  (Read 13573 times)

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
Re: Identity fraud: warning: dont get caught like me!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 07:36:26 am »
Its terrible to think that one click can cause so much trouble. Good luck! I'm sure you're not the only one to get scammed.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 08:09:40 am »
I have had no end of problems with the real paypal and the fakes. I never open anything  that even vaguely looks like PayPal. It is very difficult to see the difference in these scams unless there is a typo or spelling mistake.  I am now being scammed by a fake Telstra saying my payment has been rejected and inviting me to give them all my details so they can "fix it". As if!!!! But, having said that it is difficult to tell the difference.

Karen this can happen so easily. Hope you have fixed it.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

mcmich

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 08:15:00 am »
New avatar Gert! Very nice.  :D The 7 faces of Gertbysea   ;D

One of my many favourite movies - The 7 faces of Dr Lao.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 08:18:27 am »
Oh dear Karen! Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone so that we are all more aware. Keep us posted.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:43 am »
Oh lordy Karen, that's dreadful.   :o :o :o

Do report it to the police as it's not only your credit they can apply for.  With details like that they can do a lot of damage - I hope you get it dealt with soon.

There are so many PayPal scams around at the moment. I'm getting on average one dodgy email per week purporting to be from PayPal.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 09:32:42 am »
Thanks for the warning Karen.Hopefully you have done all you can to stop your details being used.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 09:39:23 am »
Thanks for the warning Karen.Hopefully you have done all you can to stop your details being used.

Bad luck
Agree with everyone else, but horrid when your stomach lurches after realising you've been had.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 12:33:04 pm »
Oh Karen, so sorry you got caught. I have received many emails like this and forward them onto PayPal fraud dept. Obviously they haven't  stopped them as they keep coming. Thank you for sharing your story with us and fingers crossed everything will be ok.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »
Thank you all for your messages!  I felt just so stupid when I realised what I had done  >:( >:(

I ended up speaking with someone in the e-crime branch of the police:  apart from cancelling credit card and changing Paypal password details, they also recommended changing the security question reminders for anything that has a password i.e. Facebook, gmail etc etc  ....... where if you forget your password, they can ask you a question and if you answer that question you can reset your password.  Mothers maiden name is a common security question.  If they have that info, they can hack into your accounts and reset your password and "take over" whatever that account is. 

So, its been a long day of paperwork and passwords, but I have changed all I can change now, and hopefully (fingers crossed) there wont be too much damage done!

Thanks again everyone for your support!  I just hope my experience saves someone else doing the same!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 02:13:37 pm »
Oh Karen you poor thing. Thank you for sharing. Did something similar with telephone call purporting to be from Microsoft. Had been having trouble with a programme that I installed so when this call came in I believed it and stupidly let them take remote control of my computer.  Smelled the rat when it was suggested they could fix the problem for something like $300. Luckily no harm done but it easily could have. Was worried for some weeks that they might have access to Bank accounts etc but all was well. Like you I felt quite foolish as I should have known better.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 10:47:05 pm »
How awful Karen, why does the world have to have so many rotten B¥€£%#DS in it.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 11:41:10 pm »
Karen so sorry to hear what has happened but it seems to be everywhere and they are so clever it is easy to get caught without realising. Good luck with having everything changed and updated and hope there is no long term damage. Thanks for alerting us.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 01:01:10 am »
I hope you all have harder passwords, with numbers and letters. Makes it harder to work out.

I get about 15-20 spam in my inbox a week now.
glad It all goes into a spam filter.

Edit to add, just checked my spam, 5 in so far today, Just won $400 000 from Nokia, send details to Bangkok.
since I have nothing Nokia at all..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:08:08 am by obbie »
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 01:35:28 am »
Oh Karen so sorry this has happened. Hope you get it all sorted out  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 07:00:21 am »
Oh Karen, what a PITA.
I've had that email too. I never, ever respond to emails from banks, PayPal, Telstra or anything like that. I always go online to check the account.

Hope all is safe and well in cyber land for you!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand