Author Topic: Identity fraud: warning: dont get caught like me!  (Read 13690 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Identity fraud: warning: dont get caught like me!
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:47:10 pm »
Just a warning so you are aware, and dont do the totally stupid thing that I did:

This morning I had an email that looked like it was from Paypal (looked VERY authentic!!) - saying that I had made a payment to someone.  I had not made this payment.  In the email small print it said that if there was a problem with the transaction, to click on the link and fill in the form to cancel the payment.

I clicked on the link, logged in to what I thought was PayPal, and filled out the online form to cancel the payment.

The form included my bank details, address, drivers licence number, expiry date, mothers maiden name, DOB etc etc .....

STUPIDLY STUPIDLY I filled all this out ......

It turns out it was a scam to get my personal details.

Moral of the story:  Be alert for scam emails - they look very professional!  Dont EVER click on the link contained in the email.  Go direct to the paypal website and log in from there, or else contact paypal first.

This is probably old news to most of you inernet-savvy people out there, but it might just save someone else from doing what I just did.

Karen in Adelaide

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
Re: Identity fraud: warning: dont get caught like me!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:51:08 pm »
Oh how awful. :-( I'm so sorry that you've been caught like that. How did you realise it was fake? What alerted you? These people are utter scum. Thank you for sharing so we can be aware not to get caught ourselves.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:53:07 pm »
Karen.. That just wicked!! Have you reported it to PayPal and to the police??? And change as many of your details as possible ASAP.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:58:03 pm »
I got suspicious only a minute or two after I had hit the "send" button - wondering why they needed mothers maiden name, drivers licence number and expiry date etc .......  So I logged onto my Paypal account directly to see if I could see the incorrect transaction, which wasnt there (big surprise).  So I rang PayPal, and they said that these scams are common - and to never to go any link from an email - to always log in to Paypal directly and go from there.

I have changed all the details I can for the moment (PayPal password, cancelled credit card etc) and will ring police when it is business hours.

I should have known better - I just wanted to cancel the transaction that I hadnt made - and didnt think it through properly first  >:(
Karen in Adelaide

mcmich

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 11:21:08 pm »
I'm so sorry that you were caught out by this Karen.  >:(

That is just so wrong. Thanks for alerting us to this, I'm sure I would have done the same.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:25:44 pm »
Hi Karen, I would hope I'd have smelt a rat but you never know, we get caught up in the moment and before we know it (like you) we could have done what they asked of us.  Paypay always says never click on the link though so they were obviously aware this could happen.  Good luck with cancelling everything, such a pain to have to do all that.  Thanks for sharing this with us, it will make us more vigilant.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:54:44 pm »
Thanks for giving us the heads up! I would probably do the same thing just rushing to get it cancelled

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 01:16:06 am »
Sorry to hear that Karen. These people are the lowest of the low.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 01:25:41 am »
Sorry you got caught Karen....they are very clever these days with their graphics to look authentic.
Good on you though for sharing your experience, as you may have helped some one else.

Financial institutions do not email account holders, so treat every one as a fraudulent email.

Even online Birthday cards are a huge risk, as these clever thieves can access email addresses of people you know,  so the card you think is from a friend,  is really a scammer, and then they have info on your future password entries.
Never  click on any links from emails....even use caution on forums from links that users post, that don't have a long history or credibility amongst members.....you just don't know.

I recommend anyone who uses PayPal, to check directly by the website address, and look over your account weekly.  I had money taken by deception, but I only discovered it when I checked my account transactions directly.   I was reimbursed, but had I not looked for it.....that money would have been gone!

Karen, I know you are contacting the police & banks, but please ask them who else you should notify.   Sadly once they have those details, they are already applying for online credit....and I would hate to think you will be receiving bills in a months time.
Your identity details are just so precious.

Goodluck K....let us know how you go.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:27:26 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 01:26:02 am »
Sorry to hear of your problem Karen, it is a pain having to cancel cards etc.   :(  Some people have very little to do.

Marie

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 01:39:40 am »
Karen .. You can always go to www.afp.gov.au and report the crime online 24/7 . they then contact the appropriate agency. Good luck!!! A nasty experience that's for sure!!

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 02:14:42 am »
Karen - so sorry to hear you got caught - we have had the same paypal emails sent trying to scam us, tho I didn't click on it, I feel bad not to have put a warning out for others. Sorry.  :-[ :-[  I thought it was a bit weird as while it looked authentic, it said it was from expaypal not paypal!
Good luck with getting it sorted. :)
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 02:26:15 am »
Karen, hope you get it sorted out soon, Cancel all cards, and get a new drivers license too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 05:52:36 am »
Karen that is awful. I like to think that I am really careful but that is the sort of thing I would do. Thanks for letting us know about it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 07:16:01 am »
So sorry to hear that Karen,  There are some mean people about that have nothing better to do than to cause others grief.  Hope you get it sorted out soon.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.