Author Topic: any coeliacs around?  (Read 15324 times)

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
Re: any coeliacs around?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 12:46:58 am »
Great idea...and I thought of another one yesterday, but the mists of time have taken it from my poor addled brain...hopefully it will come back!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 09:11:38 am »
well, rora's been dx with coeliac disease so we'll be starting down the gluten free route.... all tips, hints and recipes very welcome...
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 10:51:24 am »
TM are going to be running some Gluten Free cooking classes in March, probably wont help you in the ACT Karen, but we might get some helpful hints
There is also a Gluten Free Expo on in late Feb/early March which TM are going to be part of

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 11:18:38 am »
so hopefully more and more info all the time, would be great!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:05 pm »
Hi Karen, that's bad luck  :(

The Gluten-free book arrived yesterday so I'll check thru it and then send it on.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline kniki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 02:25:01 am »
I'm a coeliac too - I'm looking forward to trying lots of recipes from the gluten free cookbook.
I live in beautiful Brisbane (bayside)
gluten free is for me

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 05:54:13 am »
Well, my 84 year old Mom has celiac disease and so do I. Mine manifested big tie after radiation treatment for breast cancer. And all I can say about the diet is-- could be worse. I mean I still lust after a good loaf and drool over doughnuts, but all in all it is not so bad.

Don't mean to plug my work, but my recipe database program thingie has a lost of conversion tips to make GF a little easier. The program is free from my website. If you don't like it, you can uninstall it (I built an uninstaller right in). Not all the recipes are GF, but a lot are and a lot have conversion tips built into them. I also included Sugar free and Dairy free fields, but did not do as much to convert the recipes in those areas.

I agree about the cookbooks that are GF and have all kinds of main dishes and dips and stuff that are pretty much GF to start with. I bought a lot of cookbooks and was disappointed to find things like hummus in them. Ummmhummm.

I do want to tell you all that I was in Australia this year (my first visit) in March. (Pics on my website). Anyway, I was so impressed- my first breakfast was in a little cafe in Bateman's Bay. I ordered the breakfast and asked them to hold the toast. They asked why and I explained to which they replied that they had gluten free bread... don't expect that in the US. Also had a great GF tea in Melbourne (can't remember the name of the hotel--it is that really nice old one across from Parliament). Must say I was most impressed with you folks. I did buy 1 really bad loaf of GF bread from the Victoria market in Melbourne (it was rosemary and olive and just crumbled if I looked at it). Anyway, if you have to be GF, Australia is certainly better than the US.  :D
Aunt Annie

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 01:00:34 pm »
The hotel would be the Windsor Hotel

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 08:37:49 pm »
YES. That was it. And a great hotel it is.

My addled brain can't remember things too well anymore. Thanks for the assist.
Aunt Annie

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 02:14:20 pm »
Calling all celiacs!!!

Can you please let me know if you have any reactions to Millet?

I made some gluten free bread for relative over the weekend, and when making the second loaf we used millet instead of quinoa.  And the poor girl was quiet ill afterwards.  Although her father had checked 5 website which all said millet was gluten free.  So would just like to hear how you have found millet.

It could have also been a cross contamination from the bread pan, or a crumb of wheat based bread in the butter or spread too.  I don't know if she'd had millet before either - so perhaps her body wasn't used to it   ??? ??? ???

Thanks for your help!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline scatman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 03:28:27 pm »
Calling all celiacs!!!

Can you please let me know if you have any reactions to Millet?

I made some gluten free bread for relative over the weekend, and when making the second loaf we used millet instead of quinoa.  And the poor girl was quiet ill afterwards.  Although her father had checked 5 website which all said millet was gluten free.  So would just like to hear how you have found millet.

It could have also been a cross contamination from the bread pan, or a crumb of wheat based bread in the butter or spread too.  I don't know if she'd had millet before either - so perhaps her body wasn't used to it   ??? ??? ???

Thanks for your help!

Gidday I-L-B,  My Mum and Sis' are coeliacs and I don't think that millet is an issue.  Some coeliacs are super sensitive.  It could have been just a few crumbs.   Good on Ya! for experimenting with the breads.  Hope your rellie' recovered quickly.

J :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 11:24:56 pm »
millet is fine - we use it in cyndi's recipe
My Cooking Blog

Offline AuntAnnie

• View Profile
    • Aunt Annie$s Attic
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:59 pm »
Neither my mom nor I have millet problems. I would suspect cross-contamination.
Aunt Annie