Author Topic: Easy Vanilla Slice  (Read 35312 times)

Offline alioop

• View Profile
Easy Vanilla Slice
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:18:33 am »
Am making this now for Father's day tomorrow and thought I would post it - it's very easy and yummy!  (Hope it's not already on the forum - I did a search, but couldn't find anything similar).

Name of Recipe:Easy Vanilla Slice
Number of People: 6-8 very generous squares/pieces (or 1 hungry dad to have all to himself over a few days!)

Ingredients:
1 Packet of Sao biscuits  
1 Packet of Foster Clarks instant custard mix (80g) OR 1 packet of Cottee's vanilla pudding mix (100g)
600ml carton of Whipping Cream
Icing sugar
water for icing

Preparation:
Line a deep square or rectangular container with baking paper and then 1 layer of Sao biscuits (mine measures 26cm x 19 cm which fits 2.5 x 3.5 Sayos).  Place butterfly in the TM bowl and pour in the carton of cream.  Slowly whip cream while adding the custard or pudding mix through the hole in the lid.  Whip for approx 30 sec on speed 2-3 until the custard changes to a thick but spreadable consistency.  Spread custard over the sao's and smooth out and then add a single layer of sao's firmly on top of the custard.  Place container in fridge and leave for a few hours or overnight.  Make up icing in TM to desired consistency and pour/spread over vanilla slice.  Cut and serve.

Photos:
Will post (if I can) when I ice it & cut tomorrow!

Tips/Hints:
This is the easiest dessert ever and can be made a day or two ahead, in fact it's much better if made ahead of time - this gives the sao's a chance to soften like real vanilla slice pastry and it's easier to cut.  I use the instant custard mix but this does contain the dreaded anti-caking agent (preservatives in the 500's in listed ingredients, I think).  Apparently this is also nice made with the vanilla pudding mix, which doesn't have a 500 preservative listed on the ingredients, so I am assuming this doesn't contain an anti-caking agent?  I have also made this with Lattice biscuits (the plain ones) instead of Sao's and its nice as well.  The size of your container doesn't really matter - but remember the bigger the container, the thinner the custard layer will be. Enjoy!

members' comments
JD - This is so easy & delicious. My icing was a bit thin looking and when I checked back on here, realised JulieO had a nice icing on her version that I could have followed but for special occasions i would probably buy the Orchard Icing.  I need to add - DH just had a piece after his lunch and said it was the best vanilla slice he has ever tasted.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:35:16 pm by judydawn »
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Vanilla Slice
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:30:39 am »
Thanks for sharing with us.  I have a few people who eat here who don't like custard  ??? ??? ??? but who cares about them, I love it  ;D ;D ;D  Sounds great for a crowd and I love things you can make ahead.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:21:02 pm »
Sounds yummy!  :)

Could this be made with a thick batch of TMX custard (from the EDC)??

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:37:39 pm »
Sounds yummy!  :)

Could this be made with a thick batch of TMX custard (from the EDC)??

I did think about this and I'd say it probably could Chelsea - the version with the cream and custard mix above is very light and fluffy, but a version made with some TM custard (made really thick - not sure best way to make it very thick? cook for longer?  add another egg?) would probably be more like real vanilla slice  :).  It would just be a bit more time-consuming to make with real custard. 

We just ate a bit each of the one I made this arvo cause we couldn't wait until tomorrow  ;D and the sao's weren't soft enough - everything squishes out when you go to bite it (but that didn't stop us! ;D). mmmmm.......

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:45:45 pm »
I did think about this and I'd say it probably could Chelsea - the version with the cream and custard mix above is very light and fluffy, but a version made with some TM custard (made really thick - not sure best way to make it very thick? cook for longer?  add another egg?) would probably be more like real vanilla slice  :).

In the EDC is says to use 4 eggs and 50g cornflour for a thicker consistency.  I think it has more than enough cornflour already though and would try an extra egg and cooking it for a bit longer as you suggested Ali.  :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:19:39 pm by Chelsea (Thermie Groupie) »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 01:01:12 pm »
I have a great vanilla slice recipe if anyone would like it. I haven't converted it or anything, but it is nice and you use pastry as a base. :)

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 01:13:34 pm »
YES please, JulieO.  What a breathtaking photo! Congratulations.
Living in Portugal I can't get these sao biscuits and the custard pack so everything has to be made from scratch anyway so your recipe would be great. Thank you!
Barbara

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 01:22:42 pm »
Thanks alioop - may be showing just how bloody old I am - but probably made this in 1970 !!  Also used to roll out the Pampas puff pastry and make "matches" and vanilla slice - OMG - how old is that?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 01:35:27 pm »
Gralke, here you go. The Orchard icing is one that comes already made in a box that you just roll out and use. You may have one similar where you are, but if not just make some yourself.  :)

VANILLA SLICE
2 sheets puff pastry
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup custard powder
600ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tblsp gelatine
1/3 cup hot water
300ml thickened cream

Icing
½ pkt Orchard white icing
dessicated coconut to sprinkle on top

alternative
1 ½ cups pure icing sugar
1/3 cup passionfruit pulp
1 tblsp melted butter

Place thawed pastry on baking paper lined trays, prick well and bake in very hot oven 5-10 mins or until puffed and golden.  Remove from the oven and with a pair of clean oven mits, press down genlty on the pastry to flatten.  While still warm, trim pastry to fit a 23cm square tin that has been lined with alfoil to aid removal of the slice when finished.  Make sure there's enough foil hanging out to be able to pick it up with.

Blend custard powder and sugar with sufficient milk to form a smooth paste, add remaining milk, mix, then pour into a medium saucepan.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.  Cook for 1 min more.  Remove from heat.

Sprinkle gelatine onto nearly boiling water, stir briskly until dissolved then stir into custard.  Place a piece of plastic wrap over surface of custard, this will prevent a skin forming.  Allow to cool to room temp, then add vanilla.  Gradually add cream, beating at high speed until well blended.

Place 1 piece of pastry, smooth side down into the base of tin.  Pour custard mix carefully over the pastry, top with remaining pastry, smooth side up.  Press down firmly.  Set aside whilst preparing the icing.

If using Orchard icing.  Follow pack intructions (very easy).  Cut out to fit top of pastry, press down gently, sprinkle with coconut, then cover the top of the tin with wrap and place in fridge to set for about 6 hours.  Gently cut into squares.

Passionfruit icing:Combine all 3 ingredients until smooth.  Spread over top of pastry and chill in the same way.  Cut into squares.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »
Thanks alioop - may be showing just how bloody old I am - but probably made this in 1970 !!  Also used to roll out the Pampas puff pastry and make "matches" and vanilla slice - OMG - how old is that?
But the oldies are goldies Thermomixer  ;) ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 02:30:01 pm »
THANKS - we don't have ready to use (roll) icing but its easily done in the "bimby" (when she returns from technical assistance in Lisbon).
I will make this and then post a photo. Thanks
Barbara
Barbara

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 12:05:17 am »
I make the EDC custard with only 20g of cornflour as IMO the full amount is far too much and too thick.  So I think with the full amount it would be ok.  Worth a test run I guess.  You can also make this with lattice biscuits which are a bit sweeter.

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 03:11:26 am »
Pics for easy vanilla slice  :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 12:23:17 pm »
my dh LOVES vanilla slice aso one of the first things i made with our tmx was vanilla slice - made my own pastry and custard... OMG what a disaster!  :'(
he ate one piece and that was it... sigh never again!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 01:48:48 pm »
Oh dear brazen! Glad it didn't turn you or your dh off the TM or else we would be without one of our "gurus" ;D.  Guess we've all done that with something or other (some of us more than once  :-[). 
Vanilla slice is one of those things that I've always been a bit scared of trying - that's why I find this "cheats" version great - it's truly a "no fail" ;D and everyone I know who tries it, loves it.  Of course it isn't the real thing - and maybe I'll get brave and try making JulieO's fabulous version sometime soon! :-\  ;D (Hopefully Gralke will have done the conversion for me  ;D  ;)).