Author Topic: Honey Mustard Chicken  (Read 179528 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Re: Honey Mustard Chicken
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2011, 08:50:18 am »
We just had this for dinner tonight. I added one carrot with the onion. I also accidentally added extra mustard, so I compensated with extra honey so as not to scare off the children with the "too spicy" mistake. The flavour was fantastic!

My DS turned his nose up when told what was in it, but this changed as he inched it every slower to his tongue for the mandatory "taste before you complain". He decided it was "actually quite alright" and went back for seconds! Turns out as a good lesson on mixing flavours he wouldn't normally try.

We did find that there was left over sauce. I wish I had finished reading this thread before cleaning up though as I love the idea of this as a sauce for pasta... so I *was* thinking of how to reduce the sauce quantity for next time (which there will definitely be) but maybe I won't bother.

I also like the idea of putting the chicken in the basket too, or adding in last 10 minutes as it did seem a bit over cooked. Or maybe I will just cut it bigger...? And of adding the peas.

Another TMX success! Thanks Trudy!

Cheers,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2011, 10:45:53 am »
I add the chicken in the last 10 minutes now Kerryn.  It is perfectly cooked in that time.  :)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 08:45:15 am »
Made this tonight everyone enjoyed it but I found it a bit bland and quite runny which I know you can add cornflour, it didnt look like the picture which was quite a vibrant yellow mine was more a pale green. I made the recipe the same I added a kilo of chicken thighs and put in extra cream by mistake anyone got any ideas why mine looked different?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 08:54:43 am »
We often get a variation in the looks of our recipes in comparison to others Yvette.  If it was a bit bland, maybe you need to add more mustard, some have already suggested that but the original quantity was fine for me. Did you add the turmeric, that adds a yellow colour.  Adding some carrot at the beginning with the onion also adds more colour but green  ??? ??? - can't work out where you would have got that colour from.  I was going to ask you if it tasted OK but if it was bland, guess it didn't.  The extra cream would have weakened the taste I would imagine.  As you can tell from the number of reviews, it is a very popular recipe so I wouldn't give up on it - just see if you can tweak it, add a little more things for flavour, be careful when pouring the cream in and see how you go next time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 09:04:59 am »
Thanks Judydawn yes I did add the tumeric even a little more it might have been the extra cream but I did use 1kg of chicken it just didnt turn out as I expected the family enjoyed it I was a bit disappointed might try carrot next time too

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2011, 09:08:12 am »
Judydawn I also did add a little extra mustard. I made the red curry risotto last night delish I also added one of my homegrown red chillies very spicy but nice enjoyed by all.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2011, 08:57:48 am »
Thanks Trudy for this tasty dish - will be a regular in our home - served with basmati rice and varoma steamed vegs. I thickened with 2 tabsp cornflour - DH commented he is looking forward to lunch tomorrow as he is taking leftovers. Cheers - Robyn  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 04:04:00 am »
Thanks trudy, made this last night and it turned out beautifully - looked just like johnro's. Everyone was nodding their heads as they ate it.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 08:43:13 am »
Made this again tonight added two carrots with the onion and a little more tumeric turned out much better than last time yaaaaa

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 07:14:47 pm »
Finally made this for our supper this evening,I wish I had made it ages ago because we all loved it.I added a carrot and capsicum as other people had done.Only had 100g of sour cream but made it up with cream cheese.Served it with mashed potatoes, steamed carrots and green beans.I did reduce the honey to 20g,next time I will reduce it again.Thanks Trudy :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:17:33 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 11:32:39 pm »
Oh this sounds yummy I've got to give it a shot. (I love honey mustard sauce, used to often buy honey mustard chicken pasta from the supermarket for lunch when I used to live in England). Love the idea of using it as a crepe filing (more savoury than sweet person).

Need to investigate what this Thermodynamic Serve is and whether we can get it here in Germany (not in online TMX shop).
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2011, 04:45:25 am »
The thermoserver is an insulated bowl that keeps food warm or cold for up to a couple of hours.  Australians can get them as a bonus if they have a demo. I think it is only available in Australia ???.  I believe you can buy good insulated bowls online though (just a different brand).  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2011, 07:24:09 am »
yes its only available in oz...you can get alotof other different types of something similar in europe..i know Tupperware makes something similar and others exist on hte market internationally...its just a dish that keeps the food warm..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »
Thanks Chelsea and Frozzie, will look into what I can get as it would be useful to have one (and a silicone spatula so I stop killing the TMX one, I'm left handed).

Regards Recipe

Made the dish this evening but found it a bit bland / taste not very strong. This was despite increasing the mustard to 35g and honey to 45g. I _think_ the problem was that I didn't include the tbsp of stock paste; I've seen that mentioned in a couple of threads as a reason something was bland. Basically I had meant to make some, then forgot the recipe needed it till I had started cooking :)

I added a bit of corn flour to thicken it up, but need to search for the cornflour and water paste. The chicken was a bit overcooked, my fault as I cut it too thin.

Actually ate the sauce and chicken as part of a sandwich having had fried rice earlier, using leftovers of Bron's Steamed Garlic rice, so I didn't do  rice or pasta like I'd planned.

Will have to try again :)
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2011, 07:02:50 pm »
def stock paste tarasis or at least salt to enhance the flavour and if you havent done the paste either vegetarian or qurikycookings chicken stock paste you could also just use a standard stock or bouillon cube..pity it didnt turn out how you want..i added extra mustard and honey and had all the other ingredients as is and it wasd quite tasty!  maybe next time!  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/