Author Topic: help with Halloumi cheese  (Read 12412 times)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
help with Halloumi cheese
« on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:11 am »
i done step 11 now what, do i cook the cheese  again in step 12 or take it out

Heat milk on temp 37 for 10 mins on speed 1
Mix rennet with 1 tbspn water (filtered or unchlorinated better), and add to milk. Stir for 1 min on speed 1

Pour milk into ThermoServer and let it sit for 1 hour.
Cut the curds into 2 cm strips both ways and at a 45 degree angle
Let the curds sit for another 10 minutes
At this point, we bring the curds back up to temperature and then drain them

Transfer the curds & whey from the ThermoServer back into the TM bowl. Reheat on 37 for 30 mins on speed  
Line the rice basket with the cheesecloth. Pour the curds & whey into the rice basket over a ThermoServer. You will need to keep the whey for later
Cover the curds with cheesecloth and place a heavy weight on top. You will need to sit the rice basket somewhere the why being pressed out can drain away. Leave for 30 minutes, then turn out of the rice basket
Cut the curds into pieces. Pour the whey back into the TM and heat for 5 mins, 90 degrees, speed 1.

Put the rice basket in the TM bowl and put the pieces of halloumi back into the rice basket. Cook for 30mins, speed  , on 90. The halloumi will rise to the top when it is done
Pour off all but 250g of the whey. Add 250g of boiling water and 50g salt and cook for 100, speed 1, for 5 minutes. Let it cool, then put cooked halloumi into a container and cover with brine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:26:34 am by fundj&e »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: help with Halloumi cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:35:47 am »
Uni, have never made it but from reading the recipe you have on your post.  At step 11 the whey is already heated in the TM bowl and the cheese is in the basket.  Cook for 30 mins etc. That is what I would do from that recipel  Sorry can't help further.

Marie

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:05 am »
No idea

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:45:57 am »
no idea either.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:46:37 am »
thanks ladies i am looking at other recipes on the net by the sounds of it  further cooking needed, i hope :-))

Offline Zada

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 03:11:27 am »
Nope, step 12 is just making the brine, not cooking the halloumi more. Leave that aside.
HTH :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 03:19:08 am »
thanks Zada that what i did but was not sure, i fried a tiny bit of it just to taste it, its very nice , let see what my DDs think of it 2nite

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:44:35 am »
Yes Zada is right. The homemade haloumi is lovely. I think the second time I made it I made it slightly less salty brine.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:21:56 am »
This is deffinately on my things to make list. My family LOVE Halloumi.  Will be interested to hear how it turns out Fundj&e

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:37:10 am »
it was great Shazzy, will make more at the end of the week

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:45:08 am »
i kept the MC in whlie heating the milk and the lid off whlie resting for 1 hour if i dont write it on here now i will forget what i did. the recipe on the other forum doesnt say anything about MC or the lid

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:28 am »
Yes Zada is right. The homemade haloumi is lovely. I think the second time I made it I made it slightly less salty brine.

i kept the salt at 50g and the 4 greek ppl  :-)) who ate it only 1 said it was a bit salty, it was fine for me

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 01:11:52 pm »
Good to hear. Will have to give it a go soon.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 01:23:21 pm »
If anyone has questions about the Halloumi recipe, I recommend you ask them here, where the Thermomix enthusiast who developed the recipe is answering them:

http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/halloumi/33784

She also has the photos alongside of the steps of the recipe, the heading set out and lots of comments from others who have tried the recipe.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Daleerin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 09:54:55 am »
Hi, I'm the author of the recipe, someone sent me a link to this to come answer any questions you may have :)

With heating the milk, as you have already figured out, the MC should be on. The 37 degrees does have a little latitude in the temp as it is about 1 degree hotter than the milk needs to be. After you transfer the milk to the ThermoServer to rest for the 60 minutes, you should put the lid on the ThermoServer. As curds are forming in cheese, we need to keep the temperature as stable and close to the 37degrees as possible so that the enzymes in the rennet can work.

In step 11, after the halloumi rises to the surface, you remove it from the TM. Step 12 is just making some of the whey into a brine to cover your newly made halloumi to make it a little salty and help it last for a week or so. If you intend to eat the whole lot straight away (which, I have to admit, has happened to me ;D)., then you can skip making the brine completely. If you use it without the brine, you may find you need to add a little salt

Happy cheesemaking  ;D