Author Topic: Porridge question  (Read 2986 times)

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
Porridge question
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:43:06 pm »
Hi all  :)

Since switching to Lowan's wholegrain rolled oats, our porridge won't cook in the TMX. Has anyone else had this problem?
I even cooked for double the time (22 mins), changed temp from 90 to 100, and ground the oats before cooking, and it STILL isn't cooked. It's not my TMX either - everything else cooks fine. Has anyone else had this issue? TIA  :)
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Porridge question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:06:47 pm »
Julia, what oats did you use before? We always use Lowan's wholegrain oats and it turns out perfectly. I cook it with 100g oats, 400ml milk and cook for 10 minutes/90 degrees/speed soft or speed 1. I use the reverse button if I want them to stay chunky :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:14:25 pm by Amy :-) »

Offline Girlpower247

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:46 am »
Hi Julia,
like Amy, Ive always used Lowans whole grain rolled oats too.

I often have porridge for my brekkie and for a single serve I make mine as follows
I don't use milk in my porridge, I heat a small amount in my Nespresso milk frother and add on top along with a light sprinkle of rapadura sugar or raw honey - yummo....sultanas always come out whole when using reverse
230g water
40g rolled oats
A few sultanas
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
can add a pinch of salt (I don't)

Cook 7 mins / 90oC / reverse / speed 2

If DH wants it too, I just double ingredients and cook 9 mins
Haven't ever had it undercooked, so not sure what would be the cause, can you perhaps check the TM temp with a food thermometer just to make sure it's coming up to temp?

Really don't know why it's not cooking, maybe try another packet of Lowans or another brand would be a good comparison?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:19:32 am by Girlpower247 »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:07 am »
I also use Lowans, but I cook mine in the microwave - only 3 minutes and it's perfect.  The part I really like about this method, though, is that you cook it in the bowl you eat it out of so less cleaning up later (lazy me)!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.