Author Topic: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!  (Read 41396 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 02:52:45 am »
Oh  cookie 1 I am so pleased to meet another who has a love of reading. I will read anything. I even love junk mail. Your children will never be short of a friend nor will they ever say they are bored. How wonderful. When we all finish with a book, that is after it has been on circuit and comes back to me, I take it to Curves where we have a bookcase where people can purchase a book for $2 which goes into the  Breast Cancer bucket. Easy way to make some money.

I can throw a book out. I don't want to read it again . I might miss out on something new!

Yes that is sad but I bet those kids have good hand eye co-ordination from playing with electronic toys. somethig I am sadly lacking.

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 03:40:01 am »
What ever happened to comic books. At least the kids read them.

Gretch

Gretchen my DD1 and her partner own 2 comic book/collectible toy shops in Melbourne so they are still alive and kicking and you would be amazed just to sit back and watch what type of person comes into their shops to buy. The variety is endless and the money young kids spend in there is even more amazing. There is talk down the track though of even comics becoming electronic - how that would work is beyond me but what a pity if it does head that way.  How can you collect electronic comics ??? Collectibles as such would probably cease to exist then.   In conjunction with their American comic suppliers they hold a free comic day once a year, the sales people dress up as comic characters & hand out the free books plus chupa chups for the kids and apparently it is a great day all round.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 04:11:43 am »
How wonderful Judy. No I don't think I would be amazed at the people who collect comics.A whole other world there isn't it. What a wonderful place to work. They must love it to own two delicious shops. next time I am going to Melbourne I will ask  you where they are.

Well I wouldn't mind if comics went the way of books on an e reader so long as kids actually learned to read and to enjoy the art of reading. We may have no choice if we keep cutting down the trees.

Gretch

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 04:42:01 am »
For all our Spanish  speaking Thermomixers there are Spanish Thermomix recipe books available on Kindle for only $2.99

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 04:46:48 am »
You're right about all the reading. One thing with an e reader no one knows if you are reading 'War and Peace' or a scurrilous french novel. I'll read almost anything except perhaps real sci fi books. Not into them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 04:49:51 am »
I got to tell ya cookie , when I was reading the freebie Compromising Positions I kept the cover half closed. LOL!!!!

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 06:47:10 am »
ROFL

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 09:19:10 am »
Hi.Jo. I've just got an I Pad.   What fun.   I have down loaded some apps from the Apple site to do with food,  and recipes that I can convert to TMX.   I am a bit slow with this new technology but don't mind asking.for help.  I think that the Kindle is great for reading books,  and that is why I bought the iPad.   I have read 4 books already,  but have discovered it is good for other things as well.   I am also using the diary  for appointments.   I am sitting in an apartment ::in Melb. at the moment typing this.   I just slip this into my hand bag and it is there. Much lighter than the computer to carry around.   one of our Forum members has put a very comprehensive report on the Kindle,  I am sire this will help you.   Good luck

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 10:23:54 am »
Do you mean JulieO's comments in this thread Chookie? http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4415.0

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 12:46:09 am »
Chookie good on you. Wow an ipad. I really don't think I dare think about one. I own a netbook and a laptop and use DD's computer all the time.

Gretchen what are you reading at the moment? I've just started Monica McInerney's latest "At Home with the Templetons." I heard her speak last year about her writing. It's light but entertaining.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 01:04:07 am »
Chookie good on you. Wow an ipad. I really don't think I dare think about one. I own a netbook and a laptop and use DD's computer all the time.

Gretchen what are you reading at the moment? I've just started Monica McInerney's latest "At Home with the Templetons." I heard her speak last year about her writing. It's light but entertaining.

In the living room I am reading With No One As Witness by Elizabeth George an Inspector Linley novel.

Outside I am reading Sea Glass bu Anita Shreve.

In the bath I am struggling with The Time Travelers Wife. Not only becauseI got it wet but I can't really get into it.

On my Kindle I am reading Man And Wife by Wilkie  somebody or other. an old corny but freebie book.

I have lots on my amazon wish list to download. Just waiting for my daughter to open her birthday present on the weekend to see if she wants to share an account before I download more.

I have Monica's book on my wish list. any good?

Chookie and IPad. How wonderful. Goodonyou.

Gretch

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 02:32:01 am »
I was so intrigued with all these comments about Kindle that I went and looked at Amazon to check it all out. I found they have Kindle apps for computers, so downloaded an app and some free books to read on my computer!! Those thanks ladies, even though I don't have a kindle (perhaps soon) I can still read free books without adding to my bookcase!! DH will be pleased with that!!! LOL!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 02:54:35 am »
Gretchen you are so clever being able to read all those books at once. I forget where I am in the story if I am reading just one book!  It reminds me of when my MIL lived with us, she was really into her movies and her and DH used to watch them together.  However, men being men, DH used to swap and change channels all the time during ads and he was able to pick up the threads of the next movie on another channel - poor MIL, didn't know if she was coming or going - completely unaware her son was changing movies on her  ;D ;D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 02:55:56 am »
Since buying my kindle this time last year I have read 27 books (6 of those non Kindle). I have enjoyed the following 3 books:

The Glass Castle – Jeannette Walls
A Reliable Wife – Robert Goolrick
Water for Elephants – Sara Gruen
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 04:04:20 am »
CP 63 I have just finished The Glass Castle for book club. I loved it. We had Eat Pray Love before that and I didn't like it one bit.
I'm into who dunnits mainly, but enjoy other genres.

Gretchen Monica Mc's book is fine. It seems light but then I read for entertainment not to solve problems. I'm really enjoying it. DD has read The Time Traveller's Wife. I'm not sure what she thought of it. You are indeed amazing reading lots of books at once. The most I casn do is 2. One book, one e reader book.