Author Topic: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!  (Read 41139 times)

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
Re: Kindle has arrived!!!!!!, now what to do with it!!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 12:51:34 pm »
I'm computer gadget illiterate.  That's what my hubby's for.  :D
I am assuming a kindle is like an "e-reader" thing-a-majig??  :-\
I'm learning about more than TMX on this forum, that's for certain.  :D
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 08:20:27 pm »
I was under the impression if you get yourself a gift card then instead of going via your credit card it just takes it from the gift card...oh who cares...I've got it the rest will work out!!!LOL

I am loving my kindle and loving you too :-*

That is true Jo. Save on credit card fees. Good thinking 99.

Love my kindle. I just bought the Grisham, thanks for the heads up.
I can recommend, for those into crime/thriller/mystery genre, Lee Child books. Love em, love the hero Jack Reacher.
Another good read I downloaded recently was ROOM by Emma Donoghue (sp?). Fascinating read.
I love that so much of the classics are free -  I have been reading Dostoyeskvy (Crime and Punishment)!!

Cottchick
Who would think we would be going back and re reading the classics?  My son recently gave me two Lee Child  books so have to read them the old fashioned way. LOL!

I'm learning about more than TMX on this forum, that's for certain.  :D

That is the beauty of this wonderful community.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 11:18:15 am »
Grrr. The price of the Grisham was awesome. I read JD Robb books and received an email saying they were cheap, but it was for US only not Australia. At the moment Sony e reader doesn't have that much to purchase as it comes through Borders and A & R.  At least in a couple of years I will have read all the paper books I have and wow I'll have so much space.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

*jo*

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »
Ta Cottchick Room is meant to be a must  :)

You're a legend Jodi trust me I am learning things from you   ;)

I love that you know Get Smart Gretchen LOL

Damn cookie...I have found a couple of books that have been US only and I anticipated that...went to Dymocks today and got a few titles to look for, I needed to see the hard copy to search for the download go figure   :P

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 03:35:42 am »
DD went on the kobo site yesterday (where we buy for our Sony e reader) and found that there was 20% off and heaps of popular books had been reduced by about half. We had quite a buy up. I just checked the site this morning and they had all gone back up again!

*jo*

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 03:56:31 am »
Arrrrgghhhhh I hadn't checked there :(  That is brilliant for you..what a score!...hope you purchased plenty of titles.  Perhaps I should be checking there daily...just like I try to do here ;D

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 12:24:32 am »
I've had my Kindle for a year now and love it just as much as I did when I got it!!
Saves, money, trees, room on bookshelves and I am reading even more now - if that is possible.
I just found out yesterday that they now make a leather Kindle cover with a built in LED light which runs off the Kindle, not on it's own batteries.
I've got to have one.  That will stop the spousal mutterings when I'm reading in bed.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline pandateddy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 12:33:17 pm »
Yeh, I just ordered my kindle and a cover and a light to go with it. Can't wait to get it. Now I am making my wish list of books on amazon.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »
I went to order mine last week and saw there is a huge delay before it can be shipped (7-9 weeks!!) so thought I would hold off for now - the family can get me something else for Christmas and I will get this next year :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 08:23:47 pm »
Faffa, what a shame but to be expected this time of year I guess. Start making your wish list like pandateddy. I am trying to read all my  bookcase books first before I start on my wish list. I have a real book in everyroom and my Kindle in my handbag so am reading several boks at once. Sometimes confusing  and now with the Cricket I have no time to cook.

Gertbysea

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:24 pm »
ROFL Gert we have 5 HUGE bookcases in this house and a small one  :o :o so books everywhere.

The wait is for the Kindle with 3G so now am going to ask you all do I really need the 3G or is Wi-Fi ok and just load up before we go away anywhere?
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 10:53:48 pm »
Well I say the 3G. I have noticed that the WiFi in some places is locked up. In any case if you are away and cannot get either it goes to EDGE which is slower but you can still download.

Too funny faffa, two years ago I had a friend build  a bookcase on the longest wall in the house just for the books and CDs. Thank goodness it is deep as I have had to double up on some shelves.

I love being able to not worry about having a book to read at all times especially when in Thailand where books in English are scarce and very expensive. My backpack usually has at least a book for every day plus one backup. I always read and pass them on. When down to the last book my DH and I have to share by reading about 10 pages and tearing them out for the other to read. Desperate that is.

Funny you can go into many houses and never see a book. I know a couple of kids 10 and 12 who do not really know how to read but play with their xbox day and all night. Very sad for them when they want a job and can't write a resume. My own grand kids have never even had a TV but they can read , write and communicate. I used to feel sorry that they would not have a TV but now they are 4 and 9 I can certainly see the benefits.

What ever happened to comic books. At least the kids read them.

Gretch

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 12:29:18 am »
I only have the Wi-fi one ( we have wi-fi at home ) I currently have about 150 books on my kindle so I don't think I would ever have a desperate need of needing the 3G cause I have run out of things to read.I also have at least another 200 books on my PC at home that I could put on before I went away if I thought I may run out. I am not that fussed on buying direct on my kindle I tend to buy on my PC or laptop and then send to the kindle on purchase ( or to my husbands Kindle ), when purchasing books I like to read reviews etc and feel that it is easier to do on the Amazon website than on the Kindle version. I usually buy books and then every few ddays turn on the wi-fi to download them to the Kindle, having the wi-fi on all the time uses more battery power, so unless you are reading on more than one device  ( whispersync ) I can't see the point on it being on the whole time I am just reading.
If my job required constant travel I would probably get the 3G ....then again I would still have a internet capable laptop with me so I could still purchase anytime and transfer books that way, I have no idea if the 3G works out of the country ( which I could possibly justify if I was an international traveller ) but then if it did why would we have a special page to go to for an Austrlian purchase?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 12:59:40 am »
Deeau. I can learn something from you for sure!  I don't have the WIFI or 3G on except when downloading so the battery will last  a very long time so far a month without recharging. The one with the light lasts a bit less if using the light as the source is from the Kindle. But for just using it to read no need to turn on the network.

Mine was a gift and a thoughtful one at that which I would mainly use for travel  but now I am addicted.  The reviews as you say are more comprehensive on the regular book site through the PC. In fact I don't know why anyone interested would not just  download the Kindle  for PC for free. I have had that for ages and love that Amazon stores all your books and you can download  yours mine and ours for one cost. I recently bought one for each of  my children  so we can all use the same account and all get the books for one price.

The reason we have to use our Aussie Address is because of the Australian laws on parallel importing. These laws are to protect the profits of Australian publishers. If you have a US account you can downoad everything but if you get caught  you might find that all of your content will suddenly disappear as happened to a friend of mine.

Yes the reason also for 3G is that it works world wide and places where there is no WiFi or where WiFi is password protected.
Also I don't travel with my PC but sometimes I would love to travel with my Thermomix!

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 02:04:02 am »
We love our e reader. Had another big download on the weekend. I'm trying to read the books I have first but I keep going back to the e reader. Like you Gretchen we have books everywhere. We actually had some cupboards built in down one wall in our theatre (we use it as the lounge). They are about 60-70 cm deep and all along an 8 metre wall. They have sliding doors over them. These are full of books. DD likes to keep some of hers but I read mine and pass them on. She reads more than I do so I have all hers to read too.
DH reads on non fiction. Lately Model A books. But he spends as long reading those as we do reading fiction.
It is so sad when children come to school and they have no idea how to handle a book or even hold it. :'(