Author Topic: Food Dehydrators  (Read 16900 times)

*jo*

Re: Food Dehydrators
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 11:50:35 am »
Hehehe Meagan if you are like me I can't stand corrective text, like I need an inanimate object telling me what to do??? :P  Thank you for the information.

I had seen that site Gabry, if only it was $30 difference in between a five and nine tray here and now, it is approx $100-$120 which makes a difference.  I didn't think of strorage, good thing you mentioned that...oh well, DH needn't know about that extra detail :-))

Offline Hestonfan

• On my way to becoming a domestic goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 12:40:12 pm »
it gets a lot of use when I make candied peel.

Sorry Andiesenji- I meant to ask- I would love to know how to make candied peel in the Excalibur- would you be happy to tell me?
Thanks in advance  :-* :-*
Gabry from Adelaide

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »
I'm hoping to get one withing the next year. At the moment I just use my fan forced oven with the door popped open, set to about 70 deg and that is fine for fruit. Only takes about 3 hours to do apples.

Offline Mida Made

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 03:50:59 pm »
I also have a Harvest Maid and have had it probably for 15 years as well. You can get 2 sizes one that will stack up to 15 trays I think and it has a smaller circumference, the one with the larger circumference can stack up to 30 trays. You can get them at Harvey Norman - but they are no longer Harvest Maid. The new name escapes me. Don't bother with a Sunbeam or any other 'toy' variety. Get a good one and be done with it.
You can buy solid sheets for doing fruit leather or anything liquid and a mesh sheet so you don't have to sit the fruit directly on the shelves. I strongly recommend the mesh sheets because it is easier to get fruit off those than it is to scrape it off the rack if it has stuck. Many of your summer stone fruits - apricots, nectarines etc will need to be poached before you dehydrate.
I love mine and my only regret is that here in the tropics it is difficult to get reasonable priced fruits that you would like to dehydrate. Mine mostly does Mango at this time of the year if I can get some from friends.
Hope this helps.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 11:02:19 pm »
I know the retail price of the Excalibur is high in Australia but my friend got one on eBay for less than $100. Australian and as it was within about an hour drive, she was able to avoid paying for shipping.

Unless you are in a hurry, watch for one second hand.  They are practically indestructible, unless one backs over it when it is sitting in the driveway (my bad!) and as I said earlier, my oldest has been in service for more than 25 years. 
Before I had my kitchen remodeled I would place them on top of my clothes washer and dryer, although from time to time one had to operate while setting on a tray table - if I needed to use the top-loading washer. 

I didn't make the citrus peel in the dehydrator.  I just put it in there to dry after cooking as it speeds up the process considerably.

Made a bunch of dried banana chips last night and this morning.  Sorry, didn't think to take a photo.  I've been busy taking photos of my various collectibles for my blog.   This morning put up photos of a very interesting "collectible" teapot - one not designed for actual use.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 11:45:35 am »
You can get them at Harvey Norman - but they are no longer Harvest Maid. The new name escapes me.

I think the new name might be Ezi dri.  Those 2 names are somehow intertwined though I am not sure exactly how.

Oh my goodness, those excalibur ones look amazing!  I imagine comparing those to my little ezi dri model is like comparing a TMX to a Breville food processor or similar.  Oh well, I have my TMX now so the Ezi dri will suffice for dehydrating!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 12:23:16 pm »
Jo I went to loose produce today and they have the Excalibur ones, impressive but pricey!!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline demak

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 04:34:58 am »
Hi Jo,  I have the Harvest Maid and love it.  Have been using it for years to do anything from dried chillies (great when there are so many in the garden that you just don't know what to do with them), to fruit leather.  I don't even bother to look at the directions anymore as the HM has the guide on the machine.  There are some things that do take ages, but the result is worth it.

I love to dry capsicum (red especially) and then chop it (TM now of course) and jar it up and use for a quick sauce for chicken.  Mine lasts in the jar in the cupboard for 12months or more. 

Cut up some chicken thighs into nice chunks and brown in a skillet with some EVOO.  Add lots of crushed garlic, the minced dried capsicum and stir to soften.  Add cream to make a nice sauce by reducing down.  This is really yummy served with either steamed rice or flat noodles / pasta.

West Coast Eagles fanatic from Pemberton, WA

*jo*

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 01:55:11 pm »
Thank you EVERYONE...I am going to invest in one...when I do I hope I can please rely on you with info on some recipes...now to get DH on board, oh that's easy  ;)

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 03:27:15 pm »
I have had a dehydrator for years and my DH does awesome beef jerky.  He likes to try out differnt marinades, but the best one is just plain ole sweet chilli sauce!  Only trouble is, it doesnt last long once the kids find it!!!

Julia

Offline AnnabelK

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 07:05:45 pm »
I have a food dehydrator - L'Equip Filter Pro.  I have used it to dry various bits of fruit and also mushrooms - the results have been fantastic - if you've got the room, it's a great thing to have and you then know that you're dried fruits haven't had sugar added to them or that they have been dipped in oil! 

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 05:23:23 am »
After researching a bit into Excalibur dehydrators I want one  :o might have to sell a few more TMs to be able to though!!!!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

*jo*

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:48 am »
I'm looking around the house for stuff to sell on gumtree LOL

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 06:46:15 am »
i was given an old sunbeam healthy food dryer from my mum, that she has had for years but never really used it much.
i am at the moment drying some onion as i would like to make my own dried onion soup mix.
has anyone else had a go at this and been successful?
Emma from Victoria