Author Topic: Prawn curry Thai-style  (Read 20447 times)

Offline pennywise

• View Profile
Prawn curry Thai-style
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:25:42 am »
Name of Recipe: Prawn curry Thai-style
Number of People: 2
Ingredients:
1 small onion, peeled and halved
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 small red chillis, stalks removed
30 g vegetable oil
1 heaped teaspoon curry powder
1 heaped teaspoon Tom Yum paste
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
150 g coconut milk
1 small red capsicum, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 broccoli floret, chopped into bite sized pieces
3 stalks of spring onion, chopped
10 large prawns, peeled and deveined

Preparation:
1. Chop onion, chillis and garlic for 2-3 seconds on Speed 7.
2. Add oil, curry powder and Tom Yum paste. Cook for 3 min on Speed 1 at 100 ◦C.
3. Add oyster sauce, coconut milk and vegetables. Cook for 3 min at  :-: Speed  ^^ at 100 ◦C.
4. Add spring onions and prawns. Cook for 2-3 min at  :-: Speed  ^^ at 100 ◦C or until prawns are just cooked.
5. Serve hot with jasmine rice.

Members' comments
Katya - I made this tonight and it was delicious.   For those who don't like chili heat, this does pack a bit of a punch, but it was just as we like it.  I think it would work equally well with chicken. Incredibly quick and easy to make (took the same amount of time as the rice in the rice cooker).   I did have to cook step 3 for a bit longer but that's probably because the ingredients are so much colder here. The only change I made was to add the juice of a lime at the end which enhanced the flavour even more.Thanks so much for posting this recipe - it will become a regular from now on.

Lilli33 - Yes,this was delicious. I think as a first cooking with it after my first uses today of a few different sorbets, I did ok... However I didn't steam the fish as hubby wanted me to do it inside. Hence we had mashed fish. Lol. The flavour was lovely tho, and just the sort of Thai flavoring I was after. I squeezed half a lemon in after I finished. This definitely heightened the flavour, but then I love a bit of tang! TBH, I've never ever cooked a fish curry per se before anyway, so was happy as a first attempt. I think if I could steam the fish in its cubes to keep its integrity and just add it at the end, that would have been great!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:15:03 pm by judydawn »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Prawn curry Thai-style
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:32:12 am »
Pennywise ,  looks good.  Love how you highlite the TMX instructions.  Thanks.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:18:29 am »
Yummy. This sounds delicious. I'm adding it to my make pile. Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline pennywise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 09:00:37 am »
You're welcome. I hope you like it. I made it last night and when I had the leftovers today at work, my colleagues were commenting on how heavenly it smelled.  ;)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:32:28 am »
Thanks for posting Pennywise , this was so delicious I have made it a couple of times in the last 2 weeks - definitely enjoyed by all.  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:08:30 pm »
Yum must try this soon thank you

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:11:38 pm »
Is Tom Yum paste available from the supermarket?

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:46:08 pm »
Sure is Yvette - our local IGA has a great asian food section so I picked it up there, but have seen it at the larger chains also. Cheers  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:37:01 am »
Thanks Robyn

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »
I made this tonight and it was delicious.   For those who don't like chili heat, this does pack a bit of a punch, but it was just as we like it.    I think it would work equally well with chicken

Incredibly quick and easy to make (took the same amount of time as the rice in the rice cooker).   I did have to cook step 3 for a bit longer but that's probably because the ingredients are so much colder here  :)

The only change I made was to add the juice of a lime at the end which enhanced the flavour even more.

Thanks so much for posting this recipe - it will become a regular from now on.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 07:25:57 am »
Ok am going to try this one tonight (first night with my new TC) using snapper steaks diced. I might see if I can work out the steamer and it can steam while the other is cooking??? Will let you know how I get on... Wish me luck  ;)
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 09:18:37 am »
Thanks for bumping this recipe. Went looking for a recipe for the paste and found this.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 09:20:03 am »
Thanks for bumping this - I've just seen my comment and can't even remember cooking it.   Must try it again  ;D ;D

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 10:50:43 am »
Yes,this was delicious. I think as a first cooking with it after my first uses today of a few different sorbets, I did ok... However I didn't steam the fish as hubby wanted me to do it inside. Hence we had mashed fish. Lol.

The Flavour was lovely tho, and just the sort of Thai flavoring I was after. I squeezed half a lemon in after I finished. This definitely heightened the Flavour, but then I love a bit of tang! TBH, I've never ever cooked a fish curry per se before anyway, so was happy as a first attempt. I think if I could steam the fish in its cubes to keep its integrity and just add it at the end, that would have been great!
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 10:59:16 am »
Lilli, you would need the highest temperature (varoma on the TMX, don't know what it is called on the TC) to steam the fish in the steaming basket and as the sauce is cooked at 100o, you would have to steam the fish separately and keep it warm whilst making the sauce or cook the sauce first and keep that warm whilst you steam the fish.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.