Author Topic: Recipe Review - Caramel Chomeur, Budget Busters  (Read 4382 times)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
Recipe Review - Caramel Chomeur, Budget Busters
« on: September 19, 2009, 10:05:33 am »
Caramel Chomeur from Budget Busters

Review - made this as looking for an easy dessert.  It's like a self saucing pudding - cake and sauce.  At first it tasted like Golden Syrup Dumplings.  There was not enough sauce, but I did make it in a really hot oven as I was roasting veg at the same time, and some sauce had soaked in as I did leave it to stand for 5min too.  So not sure if that would make a difference.  When I cut in to it, the sauce was mainly butter, very unattractive, wouldn't serve it to guests.  The cake is a nice consistency.  Overall it is very sweet.  I only used 40g of rapadura in the cake as I thought it would be sweet enough which is was.

Tweaking details:  I would consider making another 1/2 of the sauce, but with the same volume of butter.  Next time will do less sugar

Score: 4 out of 5.  DH licked his bowl!  It was nice and will make it again when looking for something sweet and easy.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Caramel Chomeur, Budget Busters
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:27:12 am »
I agree this is a lovely simple dessert, however it did need more sauce as there definitely wasn't enough.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Caramel Chomeur, Budget Busters
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 02:23:39 am »
I just made this last night for dessert and I loved how quick and easy it was, especially using ingredients that I already had in the pantry.

I think in the first step though when you mix the milk, brown sugar and unsalted butter, the butter should be melted first.  Mine wasn't as the recipe doesn't say to, but when you pour the mixture into the pie dish there are big lumps of butter all through it.  It doesn't really matter as it all melts as it cooks but I think the syrup would have looked better and been of a better consistency if the butter had been melted first.

Overall though a good easy dessert and I'd definitely make it again.