Author Topic: Sticky Chocolate, Maple and Walnut Swirls  (Read 4052 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Sticky Chocolate, Maple and Walnut Swirls
« on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:08 am »
Hi all,

Here is a recipe I converted from one of my recipe books titled 'Chocolate'.  It's in the Rich Cakes and Gateaux chapter but I think it is more of a bread.  It worked really well in the TM and was very popular at our place.

STICKY CHOCOLATE, MAPLE AND WALNUT SWIRLS

Serves 12

INGREDIENTS
450g strong white flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
50g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
50g caster sugar
1 sachet dried yeast
1 egg yolk
120ml water
60ml milk
45ml maple syrup, to finish

FOR THE FILLING
40g unsalted butter, melted
50g brown sugar
175g dark chocolate chips
75g chopped walnuts

METHOD
1.  Grease a deep 23cm springform cake tin.
2.  Put flour, cinnamon and unsalted butter in TM bowl and mix for 10 seconds on Speed 6.
3.  Add caster sugar, yeast, egg yolk, water and milk and mix for 6 seconds on Speed 7.
4.  Set dial to closed lid position and knead for 2 to 3 minutes on Interval setting.
5.  Place dough on a lightly floured surface and then roll out to a rectangle measuring about 40 x 30 cm.
6.  For the filling, brush the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar, chocolate chips and nuts.  (I melted butter in the microwave whilst dough was kneading and then chopped walnuts in the TM bowl by pressing the Turbo button a couple of times after removing the dough).
7.  Roll up the dough from one long side like a Swiss roll, then cut into 12 thick even-size slices.
8.  Pack slices close together in the tin, cut sides up and cover and leave in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours, until well risen and springy.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°.
9.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.  Brush with maple syrup while still warm.  Pull swirls apart to serve.

HINTS & TIPS
The original recipe says to have the oven at 220°.  My oven is super efficient so I only cooked them on 200° but even then they were done after just 22 minutes and were very slightly overcooked.  I wouldn't think you would need to go any higher than 200° even with a slower oven.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:43:11 am by asha_76 »

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky Chocolate, Maple and Walnut Swirls
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:46:26 am »
Hi Asha. This recipe sounds delicious, I could probably eat it all by myself. I love maple syrup, combine it with chocolate and nuts and I am a goner. I will have to make them on a day when DH can take most of them to car club.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:49 am »
Lovely swirls asha.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:50:32 am »
This looks so good asha 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:59:51 pm »
Thanks all.  It was my first go at making something like this so I was really pleased when it turned out as well at it did. 

The bread tasted a bit like Italian Panettone...it was definitely very moreish.  It's best eaten on the day it is made though as it did go a bit hard overnight and had to be microwaved to soften it up a little.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:37 am »
looks so good, will make.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url