Author Topic: Baked Penne and Meatballs Review - MOTM - P74  (Read 4733 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Baked Penne and Meatballs Review - MOTM - P74
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:28 am »
Hi all,

Thought I would give a quick review on this recipe seeing as no-one else has.

It does take a little bit of preparation time but it helps if you pre-make make the meatballs.  It doesn't matter if they get cold as they will be going back into the oven later.

The recipe gives you the option of frying, baking or steaming the meatballs.  I just put 500ml water in the jug and steamed them in the Varoma for 25 minutes.  I then put them in the Thermoserver until I had cooked the pasta and made the sauce.  I found my sauce started to spit out of the jug in the last few minutes seeing as you cook it with the MC off.  Consequently I had a very messy Thermo when I had finished but everything cleaned off easily enough.

The cream that is mixed into the pasta is optional.  I used it and thought it was a good addition so that everything didn't dry out too much in the oven.  Taste wise I'm sure you could probably get away with leaving it out.

Overall, this was a great dish.  The sauce was so tasty and is good for kids too as it has lots of vegies which can't necessarily be seen.  It made heaps.  We easily served four and there is enough leftover for everyone again today.  This would be a great dish if you have a large number of people to serve due to the amount of pasta.

Overall I'd give it 5/5.

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
Re: Baked Penne and Meatballs Review - MOTM - P74
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:17:44 am »
Thanks for the review - I've looked at this one previously and wondered if it was worth the effort...

If you cook with the MC off you can put the rice basket on top of the lid and it stops the spitting

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:00:35 pm »
I cooked this tonight for the family.  I have 3 boys, 2 have high functioning autism and boy2 is REALLY fussy and hates trying anything new.

Every. Single. Child. Loved. It!

That almost never happens.  Its quite a lot of prep so I think I'll bulk make a load of meatballs and I bet that sauce would be nice with lots of things.  I'd really like to take this away with us, make ahead the meatballs and the sauce separately and combine it when we want it

Nik x
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:56:35 am »
Thanks for the review. I haven't made this but it sounds delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/