Author Topic: Cannelloni with Minced Meat and Vegetable Sauce Review (FSA - P102)  (Read 4858 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Hi all,

Thought I would give a quick review on the Cannelloni with Minced Meat and Vegetable Sauce from Full Steam Ahead seeing as no-one else has done it.

I used the Latina Cannelloni sheets which you roll up rather than pipe the mixture into.  Unfortunately you are meant to microwave them first which I didn't know so most of them broke apart after I had rolled them up.

With the sauce I just used a 400g tin chopped tomatoes instead of 600g tomatoes and 200g liquid vegetable stock rather than 1 1/2 cubes vegetable stock.

To be honest, I didn't think the sauce looked very appealing and I wasn't sure what to expect when everything had finished cooking. 

Firstly. the heat from the steam kind of fused the cannelloni shells back together so they weren't as bad as I thought they'd be.  However I found the mince had gone a bit tough.  I'd probably reduce the cooking time down to 20 minutes and check them after that. 

Despite my misgivings this dish was actually very tasty.  The sauce is full of vegetables so it is a great recipe to hide things in for kids.  Even though the dish itself didn't look that attractive, everyone went back for seconds which is always a good sign.  It's quite a different type of cannelloni for those used to the usual cheesy baked version but it was actually quite nice and I would definitely give it another go.

I'd give it a 3.5/5.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cannelloni with Minced Meat and Vegetable Sauce Review (FSA - P102)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:27:53 am »
Thanks Asha. I will have to go back and have another look at this recipe. Do you have any suggestions for tweaks to improve the flavour?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:51 am »
Hi cookie,

To be honest I don't really think it needs any further tweaks apart from the ones I listed.  I did use Tenina's Festive Spicy Salt as the salt as I had some to use up, but I don't know that this made that much of a difference.

We all found it tasty enough as it was.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:25:20 am »
Thanks. I''ll give it a go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/