Author Topic: 'Sweet Poison' (sugar) book... and TMX recipes...??  (Read 11997 times)

Offline teagg

• View Profile
'Sweet Poison' (sugar) book... and TMX recipes...??
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:59:38 pm »
Dear all
I lurk a lot of the time (!) - but often read a lot of the posts (in fact most nights!)
... however, I digress...
the reason for posting is to ask
= have you read David Gillespie's Low Sugar Diet Book: Sweet Poison?
= if so, do you lead a sugar free or low sugar (fructose free) diet?
= how do you link it into your life,,,,
and in particular can anyone tell me if there's a way of baking cakes without sugar... (i'm one of the 'naughty' TMXers insofar as I get great joy out of baking cakes and just recently some biscuits, using the tmx...)

unfortunately, there is a downside to this... my backside, my front side, and my side sides....

so I'd sort of like to find out if I can still make my cakes, and eat them!

I'd love any advice on the matter...
or suggestions of what to try or alternatives and so on.
thanks
regards

Gillian - in Sydney

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 'Sweet Poison' (sugar) book... and TMX recipes...??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:54:37 pm »
Hi Gillian,

I try not to eat too much sugar but as I am more a savoury tooth than a sweet one that is quite easy to cut down or out but I have found some interesting recipes on this blog:
http://www.healthyindulgences.net/
for those who are doing low carb and no sugar.  She uses artificial sweeteners, which some are more natural than others. 

I am sure there are others here who can help you out more.

Sharon
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:08:39 am »
This is a very complex topic and I'm sure you'll get lots of help here. In the meantime, check out  this discussion on sugars by Quirky Jo.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:57:22 am »
Gillian, this is an interesting topic. I have eaten GF for 15 years and in the past year we have gradually reduced most sugars. I personally think it is important to eat real food - no additives preservatives etc .Do you follow www.sarahwilson.com.au ? she has a lot of interesting plots on sugars and has an e book for sale, which is very good. also lots of recipes. Also links to other sites.

I think to cut down your sugars do it slowly, so there is not a big taste difference. We cut out all processed sugars, no soft drinks or cordials and gradually have reduced the amount of sugar. for instance I made banana muffins for DH this morning and used butter beans instead of flours and a small amount of dates for sweetness. I think it is important to have a sweet taste occassionally and make it healthy.

I did read David Gillespie's book, but personally won't be buying dextrose. I am over buying over processed foods and certainly no chemical replacements. As for baking cakes, are you interested in making them with dextrose?
As I believe DG book had,recipes in them, so would be worth a look.

I think as an alternative to sugars, you could reduce the amounts, by starting to cut down by 1/3. Or substitute apple sauce, blended  pears, bananas, honey, treacle etc. Also Google is your friend - just google sugar free recipes and lots of blogs out there with tried and true recipes.

Good luck with it  :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:51:32 am »
have you looked at quirky jo's blog.

apple sauce, apricot sauce, are good.
What about reducing the amount of  sugar in a cake.
Or fruit juice too.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:54 am »
Hi teagg, I brought this up a while back after watching a program. Here is a link to more sugar talk
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:21:14 am »
I nearly always reduce the sugar in cakes and biscuits to a small degree. I tend to feel that it is not all the sugars fault as there are fats and other things in cakes and biscuits. I make biscuits that use a fair bit of oatmeal and dried fruits. You can even make fruit cakes without sugar as the fruit sweetens them enough.
I guess moderation is the key, coming from someone who put on a tonne by eating in the last week. :-\ :-\ :D :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 12:53:07 pm »
I made Farfalina's Healthy Cookies from here. They have no sugar or wheat.   They do contain a fair quantity of choc chips which contain sugar but you could substitute the choc chips for sultanas or chopped dates.

Here is a link to another sugar free advocate, Dr. Scott Olsen. Scott Olsen goes further than David Gillespie, he advocates not eating foods that act like sugars i.e. white rice, potatoes, wheat etc.

Offline Shirlmac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 01:55:00 am »
Hi teagg, I am an avid follower of a fructose free diet. Even a small amount IMO is harmful - the evidence is all there. I eat a wide and varied diet rich in fats, carbohydrates and proteins. I have eliminated all forms of sugar with the exception of dextrose and I don't use artificial sweeteners. This includes table sugar, honey, maple syrup, molasses, all dried fruits - processed foods containing sugar - you get the picture. I have never felt better! The exclusion of fructose has enabled my body's mechanisms to work properly which means it knows when I am full and I no longer crave sweets and chocolate. My passion has always been to make cakes and slices so now I use dextrose as an alternative that works for me. This morning I converted a David Gillespie pikelet recipe to the TMX with fantastic results! I should start posting some recipes I have converted. From a body perspective - I initially lost weight (almost 3kg I am a healthy size 8) and maintained that initial loss regardless of what I eat. I have noticed that I have really trimmed down in the thighs and bottom which are areas I have always struggled with in the past but not in shoulders & chest where I can't afford to lose weight from. Girlfriends have had similar results too. I hope this has been helpful teagg. One thing to note - its important not to consume dextrose until you have conquered your sugar addiction, I went cold turkey but others I know did it gradually. Good luck!
Eat well, train hard and enjoy life! :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:20:36 am »
shirlmac I would be very interested in your conversions if you wish to share them here
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:16:05 am »
Me to!! I am trying to look for more "healthy" sugar free or low sugar options for my boys lunch boxes.

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:19:40 am »
My kids have eaten 'processed' sugar only a handful of times in their lives (almost 6 and 3 years old) but we do sometimes used natural sweeteners such as real maple syrup, honey and dates.  I do try to limit these though too as too much fructose from any source is not considered good in my opinion.  I also love using banana as sweetener and also tinker with stevia sometimes to cut down the amount of honey or dates I need to use.
William Duffy's 'Sugar Blues' is another good book to read if you want to know all about the sugar industry and the effects of sugar on the body.  One thing that really stuck in my mind once was reading about how cancer cells love to feed on sugar.
As some of you may know from my previous posts, I have no problems with fat in our diets - and my version of good fats does not include hydrogenated fats or rancid fats which are highly processed to make them slightly edible (eg canola oil) but I do almost anything to avoid refined sugar.  I will watch this topic with interest.....
The Weston Price foundation and the associated book 'Nourishing Traditions' has some good ideas for using real sweeteners.
Protein and fat makes up the basis of our diets though and refined carbs and sugars are at the tip of our eating pyramid.  (eg not much)

Offline Shirlmac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 12:04:31 am »
A sugar free breakfast topping I use everyday is:-
1 handful almonds
1 handful coconut (desiccated or shredded)
1 small green apple

Add all ingredients to TMX and turbo pulse 4 - 6 times until desired consistency.
Store in container in fridge - it will last for ages & the apple doesn't go brown. I put this on my cooked porridge with yoghurt or over oats & milk (sometimes just on my homemade yoghurt as a snack). It adds a lovely sweetness. I often use a bigger apple & double other ingredients as I use it every day. You could also experiment & add other things.
Eat well, train hard and enjoy life! :)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 05:48:52 am »
Shirlmac, I will try this recipe. It's like CADA without the dates. I really don't like CADA - don't know why, too sweet I think.  I will have it for dinner with yogurt - DH is away  ;D

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 07:40:06 am »
Shirlmac, I made your apple, Almonds and coconut topping and it's a winner  ;D really enjoyed it.