Author Topic: Heating question  (Read 8554 times)

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
Heating question
« on: June 10, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »
This came to me this afternoon while I was making a double batch of chocolate custard to use up 1L of milk while it was still good!  Therefore I had to cook for longer, and I think the temperature took longer to get to 90C due to the increased volume.  I also know that in a lot of the recipes I cook, it takes a long time to reach the set temperature (the first heat up anyway).

Is there a standardised method to test the heating function of the thermomix?
I am a scientist and so many things have to be calibrated, that I thought that there should be a standardised test that you could run every 6 months or so to check that the heating is working ok.  Like heating 1L of water on Varoma and recording the temp light readings every minute, or something along those lines. 

I don't think I have any heating issues...just curious.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Heating question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:56:27 pm »
Somewhere on here I think Thermomixer has posted something about the times it should take to heat x amount of water. Bearing in mind of course this also changes with the temp of the water that you start with (which is a heck of a lot colder at this time of the year than summer!!)

Also if you double a recipe I think the standard rule of thumb is to increase your cooking time by 10% and the same if you halve a recipe - decrease it by 10%.

I will have a look around on here and see if I can find the posts and put a link on here for you  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:18:06 pm »
I've found this:
When converting a recipe for the TM, is the stovetop time the same as the TM time? eg. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes or another eg. bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes?

Usually it is going to be longer as there is warm up time.  So especially for larger quantities you will need to work out how long it tajes to get to temperature and then the cooking time.  Most important with steaming, as it generally will take 5-8 minutes to get to Varoma temp with 7-800ml water, so if it said steam for 10 minutes in a regular recipe, then it won't even start cooking in that time in the Varoma.

But there is a post somewhere that says how long it should take to heat 1 L of water to boiling.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:38:45 pm »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 02:58:01 pm »
JD, that's the same as the post that I quoted!  :D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 04:13:22 pm »
Another senior moment MJ, sorry about that.  ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:50:53 am »
AmandaN isn't there something somewhere that says if you heat a litre of water at sea level it should take a specific time to heat? It is over 40 years since I did science (apart from little kid levels) but it sort of rang a bell.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 06:44:47 am »
I think that the Italian forum had something from a consultant along those lines to check that the heating was correct.

maybe we should ask the tech person at TMX if they have a formula?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.