Author Topic: What is going on on Facebook?  (Read 29630 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
What is going on on Facebook?
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:46:31 am »
I must have been sorely bored the other day to spend a few hours on Facebook. I joined originally at the behest of my rellies overseas as a means to "catch up".

Now that I have befriended a lot of my fellow Thermomixers  on my Facebook page  it  as grown into some sort of  crazy competition for likes? Whats is this that all about? I am clueless.

And it gets worse. It seems now that there is someone  telling some Facebook  Thermomixers  to unfriend or unlike other Facebook Thermomix  people . Give me strength.  This  is kindergarten stuff. This is where bullying starts.  Are consultants so frightened  of big brother they will sabotage  other people's Facebook pages? 

I have  "liked" a lot of interesting pages on Facebook.  I visit my page maybe once a week or less. Recently I have seem some  things  I find quite sad . I hope it does not flow over to this forum where we are free to like who we like and just ignore those we  don't care much for without announcing it to the world.

Those who post on the web must know that there is NOTHING sacred.  Every time you click like or unlike it is noted. To friend or unfriend  is also noted.

To be told you have to "unlike" or "unfriend" someone on your  FB page is going too far.

It is at least giving  several people full time work to keep up with every single thing that's said by every consultant, enthusiast and nay sayer on every blog and every Facebook  page not to mention several other public sites. This is surely not the reputation that Thermomix wants. It does no one any favours  especially the hard working consultants. Intimidation is not the way to win friends and influence sales.

The airways  are running hot.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What is going on on Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:26 am »
I got fed up with FB a little while ago Gretchen and cancelled myself out of it.  It is just not normal to me and I don't miss it one little bit (unless someone gives a link to their FB page for something I am interested in and I can't get in because I am no longer a member  :-)))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:49 am »
I'm confused - I'm not on Facebook so I'm not sure what's going on.

Are you saying that consultants aren't allowed to like something?

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:01:56 am »
I use Facebook a lot and I happily LIKE when I appreciate a post or a photo or a link from someone else.  I don't feel at all competitive about it and hadn't heard anyone else commenting on that either, Gert.  Are you referring to some people running business pages getting excited when they reach milestones eg a thousand LIKEs.  Some people have giveaways to celebrate reaching a certain number of LIKEs on their business pages but that doesn't apply to personal pages.

For example, a magazine posted:  "We Made It 500 fans! thank you all so much for your support!!!"
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:17:45 am by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:02:46 am »
Gert, that is really sad. I have a Facebook account, so I could look at my daughters photos when she was travelling overseas. I haven't worked out how to cancel my account. I have occassionally seen my nieces or nephews pages - never comment and am a bit horrified at,the content!  Usually only go on to look at something,they have said about. Then that's me for months at a time.

I think this forum is great, wonderful supportive tone, no nastiness that I've seen and  great recipes.  it would be terrible to see it go down a similiar path.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:07:02 am »
ElleG, it is easier to join FB than to get out of it.  I ended up googling 'how to unsubscribe to facebook'  >:(  Then they give you 2 weeks to change your mind, if you make one posting within that time you are no longer cancelled so I have not gone near it again.  I don't even know if it stays up and just sits there inactive or whether it is actually removed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:27:41 am »
FB is great for my Picture Framing business, I get a lot of business from people who have joined my page. But as for the personal page I don't have a lot of time for it these days. It's great to keep in touch with family and friends from all over the place, but I hate all the games request things (I'm not interested at all) and its becoming overcrowded with complete crap.
  FB you either love it or hate it :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:28:26 am »
I got fed up with FB a little while ago Gretchen and cancelled myself out of it.  It is just not normal to me and I don't miss it one little bit (unless someone gives a link to their FB page for something I am interested in and I can't get in because I am no longer a member  :-)))

I am with  you Judy. If it weren't for my relatives in various parts of the world I would too. I am thinking about deleting all my Thermomixers pages though.  I really do not get FB. I would much rather an email.

I use Facebook a lot and I happily LIKE when I appreciate a post or a photo or a link from someone else.  I don't feel at all competitive about it and hadn't heard anyone else commenting on that either, Gert.  Are you referring to some people running business pages getting excited when they reach milestones eg a thousand LIKEs.  Some people have giveaways to celebrate reaching a certain number of LIKEs on their business pages but that doesn't apply to personal pages.

So long  as YOU are  allowed to like who you want then that is fine.  I know not a thing about business pages and milestones and such like. I am only talking about being told to unlike or unfriend someone  because it does not  suit.  And yes the alleged ban does apply to personal pages of those who may be consultants  and have several  FB pages  which is not unusual.  And I agree you will be unlikely to "hear " of such a ban.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:32:54 am »
Dont do facebook

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 11:37:33 am »
Dont do facebook

Don't start if you can avoid it :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:39:12 am »
Dede, i dont plan too. Hapy with my emails & this site, boy I coudnt keep up with anything else.
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 12:45:55 pm »
Dont do facebook

Me either Hally. It takes all my time keeping up with you guys here :D :D I just love the camaraderie here ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »
And what about Twitter? Does anyone understand what that's all about?

Gert

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 12:59:03 pm »
And what about Twitter? Does anyone understand what that's all about?

Gert
No Gert  :D :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 01:15:23 pm »
I have a personal FB page and two other pages, one for my business and one for my Food obsession!

I haven't noticed anything that you're talking about Gretch, and hope I never do!

My Bush Gourmand FB page is pretty much a dedicated Thermomix page, so it will be interesting to see how I go with that.

My personal page is limited to my family and friends and I don't often comment there.

I've liked a number of Thermomix FB pages and enjoy the interaction and information I receive from them.

Twitter is basically just links back to FB or other interesting stuff on the web.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand