Author Topic: Hi from Mount Barker WA  (Read 8122 times)

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
Hi from Mount Barker WA
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:20:08 am »
Had a demo last Saturday, will receive my Thermomix either Monday or Tuesday. Decided to check this forum to find recipes.
Really needed risotto recipes, love risotto, never cooked myself because it takes too long. But now can see me cooking it quite often. Great recipes here, can see me spending a lot of time on computer.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Mount Barker WA
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:35:00 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum SueJen.  There are heaps of risotto recipes on this forum.  Just type risotto in the search box. If I remember correctly, one of the moderators set us a task a while back and risotto recipes flooded in.  Not my favourite meal but I know others love them and they are easy to make. Have fun when your TMX gets delivered.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 10:53:39 am »
Hi SueJen and welcome to the forum.  It's very exciting getting the thermomix isn't it.  I am from Albany and I have had mine since January this year. The only risotto recipe I have used is the one from the EDC and we like that, easy recipe to leave DH to do!!! ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 01:41:22 pm »
Welcome to the forum SueJen.There are great recipes here to get you off to a flying start.You will have to stock up on your favourite ingredients to have fun cooking when your TM arrives next week.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline BellaBear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »
Hi SueJen,  I'd never made a risotto before either as I couldn't be bothered with all of that stirring.  Now it's the easiest of all the dishes to make.  I've only made two (a mushroom one and a seafood one) because I'm so busy trying other things, but no doubt they'll become staples in our house.

Welcome to the forum, I've been amazed at how warm and welcoming everyone is.  They seem to be able to help with everything!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 01:55:02 am »
Welcome SueJen. You have joined and increasing list of members from down south. Hope you did a big shop through the week because when your TMX arrives you will be reluctant to leave the kitchen   ;) ;D. Happy cooking.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 04:37:23 am »
Hi SueJen

I'm not terribly far away from Mt Barker. Glad you found us and I hope you'll be inspired to cook lots of interesting food and enjoy it as well
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:47:20 am »
Hi from a Perthite SueJen. I'm sure you'll love cooking with your thermomix when it arrives. More soup weather than sorbet at the moment though. Let us know how your dishes turn out.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 03:38:42 am »
Welcome SueJen - sure you'll have fun on the forum.  Happy 'mixing
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 01:47:14 pm »
TM arrived 7.30am this morning - friends at local postoffice - read recipe book all morning then decided to be brave and actually do something. 
Froze strawberries yesterday so decided to start with something simple. Made Fruity Dream absolutely spectacular.
Then Pumpkin Soup, twice. Dismal failure both times.
We decided pumpkin not the best (no flavour and watery). BUT didn't have any VSC. Will make some tomorrow before make anything else that needs it.
So had fish and chips tonight instead of mushroom risotto.
Tomorrow will be different, want to try a couple of cakes after making VSC and then the risotto.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »
That's it SueJen get stuck into it. Pumpkin soup seems a bit hit and miss, I didn't like the EDC one and I don't think I have made it since. There are lots of other soups to try and I do prefer roasted pumpkin soup anyway.  You will have the odd failure but keep at it and check on the forum in the Recipe Review section to see if anyone has commented on a particular recipe from one of the recipe books - it can help tremendously. Or try some of the recipes on the forum.  Good luck with tomorrow's planned cooking.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 03:07:11 am »
How wonderful and exciting for you. With the EDC pumpkin soup I find it depends on your pumpkin a lot. DD likes to make it with a touch of curry in it.
Keep us informed as you cook.  It's exciting to hear about others first steps.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 03:15:38 am »
Welcome SueJen.  You are in the right place to get support and ask questions as you learn to drive your TM.  Sorry to hear the soup was a disappointment  :(.  We really love this roast pumpkin and feta risotto  http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2849.0
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 08:29:30 am »
Welcome SueJen. Be sure to look at our friend Helene's web site too. She has a Pizza risotto which is unique.
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 11:49:26 am »
welcome SJ -- bet those strawberries didn't even have to go in the freezer to become frozen down there  ;D ;D if you love pumpkin soup  maybe try these suggestions  look forward to your feedback, and if you still have those strawberries, you could try farfallina's Strawberry Ice Cream recipe she has just posted  ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand