Author Topic: Madeleines or Bear Paws  (Read 40888 times)

Offline isi

• View Profile
Madeleines or Bear Paws
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:54 am »
Hello!!

Today I will put a biscuit recipe that is much appreciated here at home!

MADELEINES OR BEAR PAWS  This recipe makes 12 Paws.

Ingredients:
80 grams sugar
Zest of 1 lemon or 1 orange
2 large eggs
1 pinch salt
90 grams Flour
100 grams butter (melted)
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preparation:

Put the Sugar in the TMX - 15 sec / Level 9
Add the lemon or orange peel skin added - 15 sec - Level 9
Now the eggs and salt to - Butterfly / 4 min / stage 4
Add flour-12 sec / level 3
Add the melted butter, - 10 sec / step 2

The dough should rest for some time in the refrigerator so the Madeleines rise beautiful and fluffy!  So they will get the characteristic elevation in the centre!! When in in hurry I leave the mass a minimum of half and hour in the fridge - but no doubt as longer you leave it there better!!   Once I left it from one day to the other and I must say the were marvellous!
Any cupcake form serve  perfectly - they simply can not be filled completely!

Grease the Madeleine Form and fill with the Dough.

Bake at 180š for 10-15 minutes until golden brown but be careful because all ovens are different - Donīt let them be dry!!!!

Let cool slightly and remove from the form.

In the end you may sprinkle with powdered sugar

Regards
isi

This recipe makes 12 madeleines, Isi has doubled the recipe to get 2 trays as shown. - JD Moderator

Members' comments
JD - I made them with plain flour plus 1/4 tsp baking powder and they turned out just like isi's although my dough didn't look as runny as hers, I just dolloped a tablespoonful in the middle of the mould and it found it's way to the edges during baking.  Had the little bump on the top too so was very happy with them.
Mine were perfect. I only rested them in the fridge for 1/2 hour then froze most of them so that we wouldn't eat them all the first day as I wanted to be able to pull some out when we had visitors.  Did just that yesterday and they were as good as the day they were baked.

Made these last night using the zest of an orange as I remembered how nice they were and my tray has only been used once.
I used SR flour this time and again rested for 30 minutes before baking - not in the fridge because it was cold enough in the kitchen.
These are really nice, the darker ones weren't as dark as they appear and are now all in the freezer (apart from the obvious missing madeleine).  I'll dust them with icing sugar before serving.

winosandfoodies - I made these this week and was disappointed as they were quite heavy. I made the mixture the night before and left it in the fridge overnight. I have made Madeleines before using a Susan Loomis recipe from her book Tarte Tatin with a lighter result.

stacelee - Try dipping them in chocolate, just the tips.  YUM.  They look great also if you dip them in dark then in light chocolate.  There is a lovely cookbook called We Love Madeleines that is available as a Kindle book...it has some great recipes in it.

ES - I thought  I had the correct tin too, but when I pulled it out of the cupboard, I realised it was just a patty tin with Madeleine like stripes in the bottom. I didn't let that put me off though and made a batch. The kids don't care that they are not quite the right shape and are hoeing in to them. They were very easy to make and I'm sure that I'll be making them again.

snappy - I can't believe these don't get more notice, the recipe is so easy and turns out perfect each time!  Classic Isi!  People are always so impressed when I bring these but they are actually easier than cupcakes and they don't need to be iced!
I love this recipe, I always make a double quantity as they go so quickly.  They are perfect for morning teas or school cake stalls and are such a great alternative to cupcakes - love not having to ice them! It's a foolproof recipe and worth buying a Madeline tin for - I now have four because of this recipe.

Cookie's tin is not a non-stick tin so this advice was offered by Trudy.
Cookie, try this next time you make them.  Melt some butter and paint the pans.  Then leave the butter to go solid before you put the mixture on top.  I was told this by a friend who had been to a cooking school in France and it works every time for me.

Wonder - I made a single batch of these and left for about 5 hours in the fridge before cooking after dinner. I sprinkled with sugar and served with cut up strawberries. I didn't get a photo and didn't eat any myself but they were all gone in about 5 minutes so guessing they tasted good. The recipe was very easy to make and being able to make in advance makes them easy to bake fresh if you know you have visitors coming. Think I will try to fill them with lemon butter next time.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:48:51 am by judydawn »

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Madeleines or Bear Paws
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:56:26 am »
They look lovely Isi  :)

How long do you rest the mixture in the fridge for?
This is a good excuse to  head out once again, to the kitchen shop.....to buy  some madeleine trays.
I can hear my cupboards already groaning!  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:23 am »
If we don't have madeliene trays can we just make plain biscuit shapes from them isi?  If not, like maddy I will be off to the kitchen shop again  :) :)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:39:55 am »
like maddy I will be off to the kitchen shop again  :) :)

Glad I'm not the only one with a bake-ware fetish Judy
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:57:28 am »
Just a plain home made biscuit impresses some people, imagine what these little morsels would do? Since my posting I have been searching online - shopping.yahoo.com say Target have them for $15 which is the best price I have found - others are from $18 - $20.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:12:12 am by judydawn »

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:40 am »
Hello :) :) :) :)

When in in hurry I leave the mass minimum half hours in the fridge - but no doubt as longer you leave it there better!!   Once I left it from one day to the other and I must say the were marvelous!

Any cupcake form serve  perfectly - they simply can not be filled completely!
This trays are very cheep here in Portugal - I bought them last year for € 5,00 both!!
As there shape is so beautiful it is a must to have them - lol lol lol lol lol

Bye
isi

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:23:38 am »
I used to make chocolate madeleines in my shallow muffin pan - they have rounded bottoms, so maybe not a muffin pan - not sure what it is!  These look yummy, Isi!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 02:10:42 am »
Thanks Isi,  I have had one of these trays for some time and haven't used it yet!!  Now I am inspired to give it a go!!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:37:30 am »
Thanks Isi.  They look great.  Sad to say that I have the madeliene trays and haven't used for quite a few years.   :-))  Used to make them for after dinner to impress guests.

No excuse now
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:04:36 am »
Hope to encourage some of you...
 :D :D :D :D :D

Offline KL_inTheMiX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:53 am »
well now I have no excuse for NOT buying some madelaine trays!!

Under your guidance Isi,  us Aussie's are gonna be in a baking frenzy!!!! They look sensational!!!

:-*

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 11:53:34 pm »
I went to my local kitchen shop yesterday, and the exact trays that Isi used were $27.00! for one tray.......so  I left them there  :-))
Will check Target tomorrow.....thanks for the heads-up Judy  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 12:06:06 am »
They'd have to become family heirlooms at that price maddy  ??? ???  I'd giveTarget a ring first to make sure they do have them at that price just in case the internet info was incorrect.  Hate to see you waste a trip. I just rang the nearest store to me and they don't stock them at all so don't get your hopes up.   :'( :'(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 04:30:00 am »
Maddy, I just got mine for $17.99 each at a kitchenware shop called 'House' - bought the last two, or probably the ONLY two they had.  Now I'm off to make the little bear paws  :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 04:35:12 am »
Judy, I was actually planning a trip there tomorrow  ;) I  was given a gift voucher for there at Christmas, so I will check it out.
I do admit to spending too much time in "House" ;D
.........EAT CAKE!